Crazy pricing - what's worst you've seen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All around us salons are failing and closing down. Resorting to crazy offers via Facebook (£12 wash cut and finish anyone?). We have been trading for 36 years in a town saturated with salons, we have one either side of us. Lowest price we offer is a walk in cut and finish for £25 but we have had to withdraw that as we couldnt ever do walk ins!
I think you onlu get a certain type of client when you offer £15 Cut and Finishes or £8 lashes. They tend to be the sort of client who are ultra high main, liable to complain and if you put your prices up in line with inflation you never see them again.
Our philosophy is why pander to transient bargain hunters when fantasic customer service, amazing training and the best staff will earn you faithful, lifelong guests? Our guests have loyalty cards and little things like free fringe trims, head and neck massages. It is these little touches that earn your guests faithfulness NOT cheapening your staff and your salon with rock bottom prices.
Its also worth noting that in 36 years we have never had to advertise.

just me ;)

TESCO??!! No way! I hate tesco

I stumbled across a website with beauty and hairdressing business for sale where I live. There was over 50 for sale with or with out staff most included everything in the salon. Just shows cheap deals don't always work x

Leely

Yep, our tesco had all been re-fitted and they added a hair and beauty salon. Couldn't believe the sign stating £10 tan. It reminds me of super cuts that you see in retail stores etc. Very boring and bland. No offence to anyone who may work in a super cuts :D

Tesco can charge what they like. They don't care about the little man, just out to make money aren't they.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yep, and they have the means to buy in such huge quantities they will be paying very little for the products, wonder if they give you club card points and a Tesco bag for a mob cap ;-)

I'm a hairdresser and would never personally go to somebody that charges what I perceive to be "too little" for a service (hair or beauty)....you get what you pay for

I live in a town tht everything is shutting down, the shopping centre only has cheap stores, 2 cafes, 3 chemist/drug stores, 3 phone shops and 2 opticians left in it.. The high street is also dying of death, only a handful of pubs still open etc.. yet there are hair and beauty salons everywhere !! Next door to each other, across the road from each other etc..

I personally believe everyone loves a deal and a bargain but they also want quality!

The reason I have listed how run down my town is becoming is to emphasis the fact people will pay for quality ..as there are a few more expensive salons in the town and they are by far the busiest ! People try the cheap ones and they realise its cheap for a reason.. The clients that do swear by these cheap salons.. Do they have fab hair? No they have lifeless hair that the colour doesn't last, the cut isn't anything special.. In fact the whole hairdo is nothing to be proud of..

And this is coming from someone that has only started studying hairdressing last week at college so I'm purely pointing out an observation and do not work in a salon..

Don't get me wrong I love a good bargain, but on items I know I won't potentially have to pay the expensive price on top of the bargain price as I would need my hair fixed !

I see it all the time ... Silly prices and think what a busy fool ...

I work in a sch (teaching Nvq beauty) 3 days a week ... But mobile & home based the rest of my week ... Do I offer silly prices - no way ...
If a client wants to go and get a set of nail extensions for £10-£15 that's up to them but no way will I be charging that .., !!!
I'd rather do half the hrs for the same money they make ... !!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I've just seen a lady offering 'shellac' nails for £10, bring a friend and get it for £5, bring 2 friends and you get yours free ..... And another lady doing acrylic nails for £5

Simply Kerry's Beauty <3

I've just seen a lady offering 'shellac' nails for £10, bring a friend and get it for £5, bring 2 friends and you get yours free ..... And another lady doing acrylic nails for £5

Simply Kerry's Beauty <3

Lol ... They got be the best ...
Just come and you can have it free ... !!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I don't really see anyone who is trying to build a business though. ... I read "we've been established 35 years" "we've never advertised" so what happens when the clients move away or happen to go somewhere else... I'm looking forward to the comments of...." it won't happen to us" ... I have to pay staff whether they are busy or not. ..bear in mind I've had to work twice as hard as most seeing the salon I purchased was shut three days a week and the youngest client was 81.... I've had to start from nothing. .. so the Monday £15 cut and blow dry is now busy weeks in advance.. compared to no clients at all. .. all I'm trying to say is some salons do have to do offers while they are still building a business... it doesn't always mean they are rubbish or uninsured. ...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't really see anyone who is trying to build a business though. ... I read "we've been established 35 years" "we've never advertised" so what happens when the clients move away or happen to go somewhere else... I'm looking forward to the comments of...." it won't happen to us" ... I have to pay staff whether they are busy or not. ..bear in mind I've had to work twice as hard as most seeing the salon I purchased was shut three days a week and the youngest client was 81.... I've had to start from nothing. .. so the Monday £15 cut and blow dry is now busy weeks in advance.. compared to no clients at all. .. all I'm trying to say is some salons do have to do offers while they are still building a business... it doesn't always mean they are rubbish or uninsured. ...

I bought one of my salons when it was open 4 mornings a week, did elderly people, and charged four quid for an oap cut. I feel your pain.
There's an old adage, turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

Absolutely. ... but it takes a while to become profitable. .. however personally I don't live or have to live off it so I suppose it is rather like an expensive hobby! !! Ha ha... it really isn't all bad. I understand what you are saying. .I wish the salon was in an affluent area. .. believe it or not I'm more expensive than most salons in Southampton high street and you guys think I'm cheap. ...lol.

I think 35 years speaks for itself

just me ;)

Just you! ...and those that have been established 35 years!

I seen worse ear candles treatment.....£60 ! £60 to stick a candle in both your ears and give a quick facial massage when the candles only cost £5 ! Stupid money

iv just seen someone on fbook offering infills for £9. I mean thats just ridiculous isn't it? xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

The person in my town that was offering silly cheap prices, has now today set new prices, which are much more reasonable, she obviously realised £5 for a massage wasn't getting her anywhere.

I walked past a salon today with window stickers plastered every where stating £2.50 men's cut, £4 dry cut for woman's, £7 wash cut and B/d, £15 full head colour, £18 for full head high lights, and £1.50 per colour flash. :/ but extensions from £500!?!? Okay so have dirt cheap cuts and colours but rather expensive extensions? Hmm.

I walked past a salon today with window stickers plastered every where stating £2.50 men's cut, £4 dry cut for woman's, £7 wash cut and B/d, £15 full head colour, £18 for full head high lights, and £1.50 per colour flash. :/ but extensions from £500!?!? Okay so have dirt cheap cuts and colours but rather expensive extensions? Hmm.

£18 full head highlights '!!! Are they having a laugh !! By the time the colour is applied in foils they're not even making anything!! Say £6.19 for stylist nmw.. And it takes her 3 hours all in to do highlights, wash,cut and blowdry, that's £18.57 before any product prices are factored in ...or even say its £18 plus the £7 for wcb, £6.47 to pay for colours, products etc .... They're mega losing!

I know everyone knows that but just showing how ridiculous some places can be ! Would anyone even trust this kind of salon!? I would NEVER consider this as a good deal, even when I was 12!!x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back