Crazy pricing - what's worst you've seen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i went to a pamper event in a school hall a while back and the girl next to me was doing pedicures - sort of! i say sort off because she was using polish from TK maxx and when she had a customer come back and complain because the polish was awful, she got a massive chip on her shoulder and refused to refund - it was truly awful, i would have been ashamed if i had done such a poor set of toes!

Anyway, she gave me her price list - lash extensions for ... wait for it... £6!!!! I nearly fell off my chair! I asked her if that was application of a strip and she said 'no individual lashes only take me 5 mins'

ha ha! i asked her how on earth she can isolate lashes and apply a full set in 5 mins and she just laughed and said she doesnt isolate them, thats a waste of time - she just places the lashes on top and drops them into place!!

seriously - there is some 'competition' out there that does not worry me at all!!!!

Trouble is they are good at getting therapists a bad name!

That is absolutely the issue- I'm not bothered about my prices being undercut because I know these cheapies will go out of business cos they can't afford to live on what they are making- the problem is how many customers do they get that have never had a treatment before- get a rubbish service and then blame the products. We've all seen the people who say that Shellac and Gel polishes ruined their nails when we know it was the rubbish therapist that caused the issue not the product. The damage is done though and that person will never get the treatment again- and nor will their friends who they've told.

Choose any 3 treatments for £25 or five treatments for £40 ♥ manicure ♥ pedicure ♥ Geleration nails ♥ Geleration toes ♥ ♥ Minx ♥ leg wax ♥ under arm wax ♥ bikini wax ♥ fore arm wax ♥ back wax ♥ chest wax ♥ eyebrow shape ♥ eyelash & eyebrow tint ♥ hotstone back massage ♥ neck, face, & scalp massage ♥ ; )

Just seen this on fb is she nuts?

Hun, you are not supposed to name and shame, if I were you I would delete the girl's name at least you are just advertising for her now. LOL

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of these recently. I feel you can tell with many of them that they aren't exactly 5star services. I hate seeing 'business' Facebook pages with personal life all over it.
Comments about the weekend, pictures from last Fridays night out, a status about how your life currently is. It's so unprofessional, never mix personal life with business, so when I spot these pages I know to stay well clear...
As for the cheap service prices, I think it's rather funny. Just laugh it off. They won't ever last long in the business, and when it comes to them wanting to up their prices in the future, it's going to be very hard!
I saw a nail tech offering nails very cheap, she soon started to crack when she couldn't afford stock. Then all was revealed she was actually not even qualified and had to refund a lot of people xxx

The lady down the road from me offers bridal makeup for £12 and another offers 'skin camouflage makeup' for £10.

Everyone hasd their level and to be honest clients paying these stupid prices are NOT the clients I want or look to attract and I dont see these 2 'salons' as my competition.

However I did I feel at the time like putting a notice on my website saying 'will fix bodged bridal makeup and camouflage job for £££'

Me too, there's a salon near me that is offering a shellac manicure, minx pedicure, eyebrow wax + tint and a spray tan for £35! There also running a voucher deal through a certain deal website at the same time. It's madness! x

One of the girls in my group (we are both studying SVQ level 3 hairdressing) is offering "shellac" for £10, cut and blow dry for £15, bridal hair for £20 and extensions for just over £100 for 18" "Russian hair" . For my area it is very cheap and what is worst she's crap at what she does!!! Photos on her Facebook profile are so awful, my 9 year old daughter could do a better job and products she uses are FAKE eBay rubbish! She's not even ashamed of posting photos of her "shellac" bottles claiming these are originals, erm I doubt CCO shellac is original.! My prices are way higher than hers, and I always get repeat business and word of mouth clients and there's no way I would reduce my prices just to compete with her. I'm so tempted to actually tell her "how's your fake shellac mani's attracting clients?" But so far I managed to keep my gob shut lol

I also I have another girl in my area who actually advertises herself as non-pro and that she does it as a hobby and only charges to cover the cost of products. She does EVERYTHING, and I mean everything: tans, nails, waxing,facials etc etc and the worst thing she gets tonnes of bookings on her FB page. Quality of services is also shockingly bad, but how would you undercut £3 leg wax or £5 gel nail extensions?

I'd rather do 2 clients a day and make a good profit than do 20 and won't even cover my expenses!

Just found another one on the same group advertising she is offering Acrylic nails £10 for french, £15 for glitter tips
Looking on her fb page she has pics of her own nails shes done an her fingers look red raw and she has gel and polish all around her skin.
if i posted something like the famous saying cheap nails arnt good and good nails arnt cheap. do you think that is too bitchy?

if i posted something like the famous saying cheap nails arnt good and good nails arnt cheap. do you think that is too bitchy?[/QUOTE]

Don't do it!

I know you're only joking and you probably wouldn't do it anyway but it's so easy to forget how many people see what you write on facebook, not good for your image. Just keep posting your watermarked work on there ;)

That is absolutely the issue- I'm not bothered about my prices being undercut because I know these cheapies will go out of business cos they can't afford to live on what they are making- the problem is how many customers do they get that have never had a treatment before- get a rubbish service and then blame the products. We've all seen the people who say that Shellac and Gel polishes ruined their nails when we know it was the rubbish therapist that caused the issue not the product. The damage is done though and that person will never get the treatment again- and nor will their friends who they've told.
this is so true - the amount of times i get a client say 'i used to have acrylic but it ruined my nail'!! argh!! not when its done properly but if you pay stupid money then you expect corners to be cut and drilling a natural nail rather than filing and blending properly is one of those corners!! makes me cross!! *rant over*:biggrin:

so it seems that all over its going on

i know many have said about these prices being associated with poor quality/service

but the offer i referred to - well i was well impressed by her art work on shellac - in fact i was thinking her artistic talent is way better than mine

sooo it cant be just the crap therapists doing it, there must be some good ones at it as well?

My husband has a great saying:

Don't work twice as hard for half as much.

Hi all,

I was reading this thread yesterday mostly with disbelief, but today I've heard of the lulu of them all. A new salon has opened up across the road from me (literally across the road!). One of my clients, who has a 6 year old girl with very curly hair has her hair blow dried and straightened occasionally phoned me up this morning to cancel her appointment because then new salon will cut, blow dry and straighten the child's hair for ... £3 ...

That £3 doesn't pay for the expenses, let alone pay the wages.

Now I don't mind fair competition but that is seriously dirty play as well as absolutely taking the p***. It's devaluing our industry.

I told her that I respect my and my staff's skills more than that and that you usually get what you pay for. I'll be interested to see if this girl tries to come back with her tail between her legs ...

:grr:

My friend was telling me today she had her nails done with shellac last week for £7.50!!!

co
so it seems that all over its going on

i know many have said about these prices being associated with poor quality/service

but the offer i referred to - well i was well impressed by her art work on shellac - in fact i was thinking her artistic talent is way better than mine

sooo it cant be just the crap therapists doing it, there must be some good ones at it as well?

There must be good therapists to. I offer a spray tan for £10 on a Friday. And I've heard ppl say its to cheap but in the 8 months I've been working in the salon, I have gained so many clients and I have the same clients coming back every week. So yeah I'm cheap but my clients love it and recommend me all the time.
It's a tuff industry. When I started doing my offer the other beauty place round the corner cut their spray tans by half the price, to make it £13 for a fake bake and I've heard complaints about the therapist and the way the tan came out. X

There must be good therapists to. I offer a spray tan for £10 on a Friday. And I've heard ppl say its to cheap but in the 8 months I've been working in the salon, I have gained so many clients and I have the same clients coming back every week. So yeah I'm cheap but my clients love it and recommend me all the time.
It's a tuff industry. When I started doing my offer the other beauty place round the corner cut their spray tans by half the price, to make it £13 for a fake bake and I've heard complaints about the therapist and the way the tan came out. X

I think that's different- you do a special offer one day a week. That's just good marketing. It's the people who offer stupidly cheap prices all the time that are the issue.

I have to say I hope you don't post on Facebook like this. I really get put off anything if it has poor basic spelling (ppl, tuff). Please, it's people and tough.

My rates are so low I can charge a bit less ad make a good profit. Since leaving mobile I have lowered my price, not by a lot but a little as now I can do a colour and a blowdry or a cut while its taking, but not by a lot (cut was £15 now £10, all prices are from)

Iv seen mobiles charge rediculous prices in my area, things like cut for £4 etc... Xoxo

I don't use Facebook. No need for it.

I do st. Tropez tans for £15 on certain days for a special offer i also think this is just good marketing and if there coming back then your doing a good job:)

Seriously two words?! And your making a big deal about it??

Try check your own spelling in your post before bumping your gums over two words which aren't spelt to your liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back