Crisps banned in hospitals!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive always wished the government would suddenly whack the prices of cigs up to a ridiculous amount...like 30 quid a pack or something lol...that would force me to stop as I simply couldnt afford it and there would be a hell of a lot of other people that couldnt either...the amount of people that would stop would be massive!!

And I read that the 3 things people will always buy no matter what the cost are cigarettes, alcohol and petrol, so trying to price things out of people's reach doesn't work. I don't smoke, never have but that is my choice. I have my vices/weaknesses and the only person who can influence those is me.

Tbh, I know exactly what food is good/bad, fattening/healthy and I don't need restricted access to it to reinforce the point. It's called freedom of choice - living in a democracy - we all have choice to put into our bodies whatever we want to. I agree with Izzi, this is nanny state - nothing more.

Anyway, after I had my children I was so hungry I'd have eaten anything in front of me but biscuits tasted particularly sweet!!

Well...the sarnies etc around here are fab!! (no shells in the egg mayo etc! lol)

The meals are fab too!
AND BELIEVE ME!!...I am a bit of a funny eater....and I did eat a lot for my mum. It was a case of one for you and 2 for me......and IF it had been bad I couldn't have done it tbh!
But I did!! and it was lovely..never a hardship. x:hug:

Does make you laugh really.The powers that be come up with more bright ideas that have cost millions to put into practise and they have to pay some one with an absurd name to go around lecturing people when what they should be doing is just getting people well, and more than that making sure they dont come out with anything worse than they went in with.
I bet the nurses love this...having to supervise what food and drink people are bringing in their relatives.Ooh yes the grapes are fine but not the lucozade as its a fizzy drink.

I spent 10 days in coronary care November last year from blood clots in the lungs. The food was fantastic. I couldn't fault it. The only problem was choosing what to have because it was all nice. I even had dessert every night. Because it was CCU it was all low fat\sugar etc but it was great food.

My last night I spent in the oncology ward because they needed my bed in CCU and that was a bed they could transfer me to. They have the snack trolley going around that gives out chips, lollies, biscuits, softdrinks, chocolates etc. They figure that the people there dying of cancer should have whatever they want.

Having said that, I am in agreeance with removing junk out of the vending machines. It costs thousands of dollars a day keeping someone in hospital and if they are then going and getting crap out of the vending machines, why bother going to hospital in the first place. The number of people in coronary care and their family members stocked them up with chocolates, cakes, biscuits etc. Just feed them up for another heart attack.

Infact its like smoking as well...im a smoker myself....on a scale of 1 to 100 my will power is about minus 100 lol....Im not sure ill ever give up unless im somehow forced....ive always wished the government would suddenly whack the prices of cigs up to a ridiculous amount...like 30 quid a pack or something lol...that would force me to stop as I simply couldnt afford it and there would be a hell of a lot of other people that couldnt either...the amount of people that would stop would be massive!! Id like to see this with food as well...make the bad stuff considrably more expensive than the good stuff....I know its not as easy as all that tho! x

It wouldn't stop every smoker smoking, I could see it increasing crime as cigarettes became the latest thing they need to mug and rob people to afford.

Ridiculous..........This country is a farce.

If this is how it is going to be why not just ban all processed food, drink, alcohol, cigarettes, the list is endless.

I am an adult who would like to be able to make her own decisions please, any one else!!

It wouldn't stop every smoker smoking, I could see it increasing crime as cigarettes became the latest thing they need to mug and rob people to afford.
To true Min..x

I spent 10 days in coronary care November last year from blood clots in the lungs. The food was fantastic. I couldn't fault it. The only problem was choosing what to have because it was all nice. I even had dessert every night. Because it was CCU it was all low fat\sugar etc but it was great food.

My last night I spent in the oncology ward because they needed my bed in CCU and that was a bed they could transfer me to. They have the snack trolley going around that gives out chips, lollies, biscuits, softdrinks, chocolates etc. They figure that the people there dying of cancer should have whatever they want.

Having said that, I am in agreeance with removing junk out of the vending machines. It costs thousands of dollars a day keeping someone in hospital and if they are then going and getting crap out of the vending machines, why bother going to hospital in the first place. The number of people in coronary care and their family members stocked them up with chocolates, cakes, biscuits etc. Just feed them up for another heart attack.

exactly my point!
I used to work at the Spinal Unit at Odstock hospital many years ago. I worked for a visionary physiotherapist who refused point blank to bounce on a patient's chest if they continued to smoke. As she said "why should I waste my time on them when my stretches resources could be put to good use elsewhere?"

Some excellent points made in this thread, and i can't actually find fault with any of them...despite the opposing thoughts!

I speak as someone a/ in Wales, so am directly affected that, and b/ someone who has had her fair share of hospital living over the last year....not as a patient but as a carer for my daughter, and someone who pretty much HAD to use those vending machines, as I wasn't getting hospital food provided.

Now this I will say...when Morgandie was first diagnosed, I was told repeatedly by doctors I had to look after myself, to be strong for her, must eat etc, but pretty much ALL that was available was junk food from the vending machines. So I grabbed a Mars bar and shoved it own my neck. Yes, there was a kitchen for parents to be able to prepare their own food, but I simply didn't want to leave my daughter to walk the 15 minutes to the nearest supermarket, shop for 20 minutes and 15 mniutes back.

After a week or two, the diet...and lack of decent food, really showed on me. I was bloating, feeling more unhealthy than I wanted to and really needing fresh healthier foods. Eventually things relaxed enough for us to go to the supermarket, but I would have much preferred good healthy food to eat readily availalble.

Rather frustratingly, (and I'm cetainly not anything-ist in this) if I'd have needed Hala or Kosher food, they would have been obliged to provide it....but straight forward healthy food for me, a breastfeeding Mum of a critically ill 6 week old? No nothing!

That said, I agree that its wrong to take away the choice....but where was the option for my choice to eat healthily?

It'd be interesting to know though, how people felt about the installation of a cigarette vending machine in a hospital? Or the opening of an off-license? Is it any different?

Some excellent points made in this thread, and i can't actually find fault with any of them...despite the opposing thoughts!

I speak as someone a/ in Wales, so am directly affected that, and b/ someone who has had her fair share of hospital living over the last year....not as a patient but as a carer for my daughter, and someone who pretty much HAD to use those vending machines, as I wasn't getting hospital food provided.

Now this I will say...when Morgandie was first diagnosed, I was told repeatedly by doctors I had to look after myself, to be strong for her, must eat etc, but pretty much ALL that was available was junk food from the vending machines. So I grabbed a Mars bar and shoved it own my neck. Yes, there was a kitchen for parents to be able to prepare their own food, but I simply didn't want to leave my daughter to walk the 15 minutes to the nearest supermarket, shop for 20 minutes and 15 mniutes back.

After a week or two, the diet...and lack of decent food, really showed on me. I was bloating, feeling more unhealthy than I wanted to and really needing fresh healthier foods. Eventually things relaxed enough for us to go to the supermarket, but I would have much preferred good healthy food to eat readily availalble.

Rather frustratingly, (and I'm cetainly not anything-ist in this) if I'd have needed Hala or Kosher food, they would have been obliged to provide it....but straight forward healthy food for me, a breastfeeding Mum of a critically ill 6 week old? No nothing!

That said, I agree that its wrong to take away the choice....but where was the option for my choice to eat healthily?

It'd be interesting to know though, how people felt about the installation of a cigarette vending machine in a hospital? Or the opening of an off-license? Is it any different?

Some great points. I totally see where you are coming from regarding the lack of choice of a healthy option. Are the hospitals that are removing the vending machines offering easily obtainable healthy options in there place???

However I still stand by my opinion that it doesn't mean that the unhealthy option should be removed.

Regarding your devils advocate cigarette and alcohol vending machines, totally different IMHO as these things when consumed/smoked affect others around the user and not just the person smoking/drinking.

Are the hospitals that are removing the vending machines offering easily obtainable healthy options in there place???

Yes, the announcement from the Welsh Assembly was actually that its not the vending machines that are banned, but they are now to be stocked with Fruit and sugar free drinks instead of the 'unhealthy' options. There will also be information on the sides of the machines regarding the 'five a day' principle.

I share your thoughts exactly on the smoking & drinking... but am still interested to see what others make of it!

Yes, the announcement from the Welsh Assembly was actually that its not the vending machines that are banned, but they are now to be stocked with Fruit and sugar free drinks instead of the 'unhealthy' options. There will also be information on the sides of the machines regarding the 'five a day' principle.

I share your thoughts exactly on the smoking & drinking... but am still interested to see what others make of it!

It is a good thing to offer fruit and sugar free drinks although tbh fruit doesn't always hit the spot and I can't help but think that offering a seed/fruit/nut bar would be a good choice too.

It still makes my hackles rise to be taking away our choices though :hug: xxx

I spent 10 days in coronary care November last year from blood clots in the lungs. The food was fantastic. I couldn't fault it. The only problem was choosing what to have because it was all nice. I even had dessert every night. Because it was CCU it was all low fat\sugar etc but it was great food. Well all I can say was you was extremely lucky.

My last night I spent in the oncology ward because they needed my bed in CCU and that was a bed they could transfer me to. They have the snack trolley going around that gives out chips, lollies, biscuits, softdrinks, chocolates etc. They figure that the people there dying of cancer should have whatever they want. My mum was on the oncology ward for 4 days and the food was inedible, she lost weight again, she can't afford to do that.

Obviously patients on restricted diets should only eat what they are advised to eat, this argument is about why as adults should we have our choices taken away from us. Patients on restricted diets are in the minority when you take into account the amount of people that visit a hospital each day. What about hospital workers, what about the surgical team that only has enough time inbetween surgeries to eat a bar of chocolate, they probably need the quick energy boost.

I'm enjoying reading the this thread and I think some excellent comments have be put forward both for and against. I'm glad I put the thread up, been interesting so far, thanks to all for adding your comments so far :)

anne xx

It is a good thing to offer fruit and sugar free drinks although tbh fruit doesn't always hit the spot and I can't help but think that offering a seed/fruit/nut bar would be a good choice too.

It still makes my hackles rise to be taking away our choices though :hug: xxx

I know...I agree its a bit rammed down our throats and our utopia I suppose would be that everyone had their choice...and had the sense to make balanced decisions and choices (she says eating a packet of Tuc biscuits:lol:!) :hug:

I know...I agree its a bit rammed down our throats and our utopia I suppose would be that everyone had their choice...and had the sense to make balanced decisions and choices (she says eating a packet of Tuc biscuits:lol:!) :hug:

Totally agree, says she who ate cheesecake for breakfast :lol::lol:

Whats happened with smoking is that its allowed people to illegally profit.
Just go to the local pub and buy cigarettes from someone who doesn't work but who goes abroad a few times a month.
Same as alcohol..put the price up, hundreds of pubs are closing all over the country every month ,decent people are losing their livelyhood and the heart of their villages but people still drink, just at home and in doing so probably drink more.

Obviously patients on restricted diets should only eat what they are advised to eat, this argument is about why as adults should we have our choices taken away from us. Patients on restricted diets are in the minority when you take into account the amount of people that visit a hospital each day. What about hospital workers, what about the surgical team that only has enough time inbetween surgeries to eat a bar of chocolate, they probably need the quick energy boost.

I'm enjoying reading the this thread and I think some excellent comments have be put forward both for and against. I'm glad I put the thread up, been interesting so far, thanks to all for adding your comments so far :)

anne xx

I would hope that these staff are eating more than a quick chocolate bar to keep them going.

Hospitals are all about getting people healthy again (if possible). I think it's a bit hypocritical of hospitals promoting health and wellbeing and then having muliple vending machines on each floor full of chocolate, chips, coke and more. Especially now when the TV, print media, radios etc are all going on about the 'obesity epedemic'. Hospital advertising 'nutrition classes' and 'loose weight now with our specilised classes' etc etc, just don't mind having to pass the 6 vending machines on the way to the dieticians office.

I would hope that these staff are eating more than a quick chocolate bar to keep them going.

Hospitals are all about getting people healthy again (if possible). I think it's a bit hypocritical of hospitals promoting health and wellbeing and then having muliple vending machines on each floor full of chocolate, chips, coke and more. Especially now when the TV, print media, radios etc are all going on about the 'obesity epedemic'. Hospital advertising 'nutrition classes' and 'loose weight now with our specilised classes' etc etc, just don't mind having to pass the 6 vending machines on the way to the dieticians office.

While I do agree with what you are saying, I can't help but feel that removing these machines is an 'easy way out'

Hospital authorities can (I'm not saying they are) remove these machines and say they are moving forward in healthy lifestyle etc without any hard work. They may not look at their own food that is being dished up to patients day in day out, and if we are talking about wellbeing I am guessing that should include emotional wellbeing and while I am perfectly aware that all hospitals vary, when I spent nearly 6 months in hospital a couple of years ago the food was virtually inedible (and I am NOT a fussy eater) and emotional wellbeing was of NO concern to anyone........

It all just smacks of shouting how great they are without having to really change anything they do, much like supermarkets saying they are concerned about the environment so they are taking away free plastic bags...........you can now have the pleasure of BUYING bags from them.........have they changed all the packaging or anything that would cost them........NOPE.......but they can merrily sing about how they are concerned for the environment and are making step forward.

:o:o I think I way have got a little carried away there, but I hope you get my drift xxx

Ive worked in worcestershire royal hospital, serving the food etc,, and must admit it is quite nice, loved their macoroni cheese, which I wont eat no other now,

Ive been a patient in worcestershire royal and birmingham heartlands, and in the latter hospital, the food was absolutly gross, and I lost 2 stone over a period of 2 weeks, but a lot of that was down to been seriously ill with internal bleeding, and two 4hr ops to stop it, I had to get my partner to bring me in egg mayo sandwiches and junk in every day, but apparently they dont like you doing that either, but hey stuff them, I needed to eat !

As for the smoking posts ( I smoke), they should make ciggies illegal, because they are so addictive, afterall many drugs are illegal ? but. oh yes the goverment will lose too much revenue from taxes....you just cant win :lol:

Well on one hand it is good to reduce temptation but it is good to have a choice. I think that replacing junk food with healthier snacks is a great idea, as long as there is still a variety. As someone else said, sometimes fruit doesn't hit the spot.

Regarding hospital food, I stayed in hospital for a few days when I had my baby and the food was good. I must have been lucky!

Latest posts

Back