Critical older therapists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlepinkfairy

Reaction score
I had a client the other day and before i started the treatment she made it perfectly clear that she was a therapist aswell, this usually doesn't bother me at all but this woman was asking me all the questions under the sun about the treatment i doing. She made me feel like i was being tested, when i finished the treatment she told me that i was very good and she really enjoyed her treatment which made me feel a little better. Now, i'm 22 years old so i found that a bit patronizing, but i look very young so i wondered if i was in my 30's or 40's she would have treated me the same way.
I just wondered if there are any other therapists that have had this problem or indeed if any therapists have been critical of a younger therapist and made her feel on edge instead of just enjoying the treatment? If so, why?!

I had a client the other day and before i started the treatment she made it perfectly clear that she was a therapist aswell, this usually doesn't bother me at all but this woman was asking me all the questions under the sun about the treatment i doing. She made me feel like i was being tested, when i finished the treatment she told me that i was very good and she really enjoyed her treatment which made me feel a little better. Now, i'm 22 years old so i found that a bit patronizing, but i look very young so i wondered if i was in my 30's or 40's she would have treated me the same way.
I just wondered if there are any other therapists that have had this problem or indeed if any therapists have been critical of a younger therapist and made her feel on edge instead of just enjoying the treatment? If so, why?!
Hi I am a mature therapist and I still have those type of clients that grill me with 101 questions from the minute they walk through the door.

Indeed I had one on Friday just gone,she had had a treatment in a salon,facial and it was too harsh on her skin,she went onto tell me that the therapist knew nothing about her products either then I had a torrent of questions about the products I was using,how long I did my training,where did I do it,oh it went on and on.All the way through her facial.

It made me feel like I was fresh out of college or something but I got on with things and took her in my stride.

After she had finished she complemented me on my knowledge of Darphin products and booked again but it was all very odd.Certainly not a relaxing way to have or give a facial.

Some people are like this,when I go for treatments myself I dont tend to tell the therapist that I am a therapist myself,if I have let slip I can immediately feel their tension and I never want to make anyone feel uncomfortable,it's not fair.

Maybe she was just checking you knew your stuff and obviously you do so try not to let it worry you too much.xx:hug:

Hi I am a mature therapist and I still have those type of clients that grill me with 101 questions from the minute they walk through the door.

Indeed I had one on Friday just gone,she had had a treatment in a salon,facial and it was too harsh on her skin,she went onto tell me that the therapist knew nothing about her products either then I had a torrent of questions about the products I was using,how long I did my training,where did I do it,oh it went on and on.All the way through her facial.

It made me feel like I was fresh out of college or something but I got on with things and took her in my stride.

After she had finished she complemented me on my knowledge of Darphin products and booked again but it was all very odd.Certainly not a relaxing way to have or give a facial.

Some people are like this,when I go for treatments myself I dont tend to tell the therapist that I am a therapist myself,if I have let slip I can immediately feel their tension and I never want to make anyone feel uncomfortable,it's not fair.

Maybe she was just checking you knew your stuff and obviously you do so try not to let it worry you too much.xx:hug:

i apologise for saying "older" therapists i should have been a bit more tactful, sorry if it was in any way offensive. I feel alot more reassured knowing that mature therapists get grilled aswell. I just felt like i was pre-judged on my treatment because i look younger than i am.
Thanx! xx

i apologise for saying "older" therapists i should have been a bit more tactful, sorry if it was in any way offensive. I feel alot more reassured knowing that mature therapists get grilled aswell. I just felt like i was pre-judged on my treatment because i look younger than i am.
Thanx! xx
Not at all hun,I wasn't insulted in the least bit,I was just saying that even though I am older I get the same thing.xx:hug:

I think it doesnt matter what age you are or expertise you have - someone will grill you to see how much you know. Annoying isnt it?

I would love a facial or something and would probably not reveal that I am a beauty therapist with a few years experience under my belt...not cos Im smug, but because when I was younger and being grilled, really put me off.

Maybe she is head hunting for therapists for her own salon! :)

I get people who don't even do nails telling me how to do nails:eek: .

Teri x:hug:

Latest posts

Back