Customer says tan not dark enough

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beccy34

Reaction score
Just after a bit of advice please girls.
I sprayed a new customer last night and she's contacted me this morning to say it's not dark enough and can I do it again tonight darker. I used LA Tanning 12%.
I gave her the option of 12% and 14% (she'd originally said on the phone she didn't want it too dark so I didn't have anything darker with me). She opted for the 12%. My question is, would you charge her again?
She said she'd like them on a regular basis so if she's happy with the tan tonight she could become a regular customer :confused: x

I would probably go back and have a look, and probably would respray for free yes. All you can do is hope she does become a regular! I always say to my spray tan clients if there's any problems please let me know, and have had a couple ask for it darker on the legs.

I would charge. Its a whole new spray tan. I would knock £5 off, as I always do if a client books another tan 7 days after their first, but no, I wouldnt do it for free-this opens up a whole can of worms and gives the impression that you have done something wrong which needs to be rectified.
x

Thanks girls. I agree about not charging making it look like I've done something wrong when I know I haven't. I may just knock £5 off as a good will gesture x

Maybe you can offer this as a seperate service in the future.

Obviously the higher the percentage of dha the more risk of it just looking odd. But if you do another 12% it will give a nicer more natural look. So maybe call it a double tan where you go back within 24 hours for a deeper colour maybe for an extra £10 or something.
Just a suggestion anyway.

Maybe offer this one free but say next time you will have to charge her as its an extra service and as a favour to you - she reccomends some friends who will come to you too xx

I sprayed a new client today at 12pm, used 12% LA. She messaged me on fb 3 hours later saying she cant see anything, the tan is sh.t ect, ive told her many times, the tan will develop within 8 to 10 hours, she keeps messaging saying the tan is crap, ill have to apply my own ect, dont know what to do now! :(

I sprayed a new client today at 12pm, used 12% LA. She messaged me on fb 3 hours later saying she cant see anything, the tan is sh.t ect, ive told her many times, the tan will develop within 8 to 10 hours, she keeps messaging saying the tan is crap, ill have to apply my own ect, dont know what to do now! :(

If you've sprayed her with LA 12% and she says she can't see anything she needs her eyes tested. its a double dip colour guide which is very dark for a start and I personally find the 12% quite a deep colour. I would just reiterate to her about the full development time being required and that if she feels afterwards that it isn't dark enough you can offer her a higher % on her next tan and offer her a small discount. It sounds like she could be pulling a fast one trying to get a freebie IMO. If this is the case it's the kind if client you don't need Hun xx.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

agree with above post, i would personally say something along the lines of 'i have been using LA tan for a long time now and all my clients are pleased with the results it gives. As I have explained previously LA tan, like majority of other tans, needs at least 8 hours to develop, then when you have washed it off you will see the final result, if you still feel after this time that the tan is too light we can try a darker percentage at your next appointment'

If you've sprayed her with LA 12% and she says she can't see anything she needs her eyes tested. its a double dip colour guide which is very dark for a start and I personally find the 12% quite a deep colour. I would just reiterate to her about the full development time being required and that if she feels afterwards that it isn't dark enough you can offer her a higher % on her next tan and offer her a small discount. It sounds like she could be pulling a fast one trying to get a freebie IMO. If this is the case it's the kind if client you don't need Hun xx.

Well, i clearly saw the tan lines myself when i left, it was her first ever spray tan, didnt expect someone call the tan sh.t 3 hours after it was sprayed on! Dont know what she was expecting though. Before she called it sh.t, she said its not coming out(and thats 3 hours after i sprayed her). Am sure ill hear from her in the morning, i just wanna find the wright words to reply as defo dont need that kind of clients.

agree with above post, i would personally say something along the lines of 'i have been using LA tan for a long time now and all my clients are pleased with the results it gives. As I have explained previously LA tan, like majority of other tans, needs at least 8 hours to develop, then when you have washed it off you will see the final result, if you still feel after this time that the tan is too light we can try a darker percentage at your next appointment'

I think she has washed it off already, as got a message saying its not coming out, its sh.t. So obviously she wont get the final result anyway! :grr:

Sunshine131
I had a lady who's daughter had a trial tan for prom when I went back to do the actual one they said they would like it a bit darker. Do I turned the nozzle so more tan came out. Looked fine as I left her. Explained I was going to my other job (I work for an employer 1 day a week) in general conversation. Left came home and went to work
Whilst on my break her mum had been messaging me saying it was going really dark and that it had gone dark under her chin and that she had washed it off. This was 3 hours later. Contacted the lady and said it was because of more spray coming out and the thing with her chin was because she had bent her head down and bronzer had made a mark. Anyway cut long story short she messaged me to say it had come out lovely just lighter than it would have been if left to develop properly. Hope this makes you feel abit better about your situation it is stressful eg but usually turns out fine x

Sunshine131
I had a lady who's daughter had a trial tan for prom when I went back to do the actual one they said they would like it a bit darker. Do I turned the nozzle so more tan came out. Looked fine as I left her. Explained I was going to my other job (I work for an employer 1 day a week) in general conversation. Left came home and went to work
Whilst on my break her mum had been messaging me saying it was going really dark and that it had gone dark under her chin and that she had washed it off. This was 3 hours later. Contacted the lady and said it was because of more spray coming out and the thing with her chin was because she had bent her head down and bronzer had made a mark. Anyway cut long story short she messaged me to say it had come out lovely just lighter than it would have been if left to develop properly. Hope this makes you feel abit better about your situation it is stressful eg but usually turns out fine x

I saw the photos on the facebook, they both looked nice, just it shocked me a little bit, when someone message you after 3 hours saying-THE TAN IS SH.T! (the actual words) :eek:
Well, there was no messaging today, so i guess it turned out fine then. x

I would just take it in your stride you know you've done a good job you've seen the evidence xxx

it is upsetting etc but like you say you've seen the pics and they look good so just pass it off. you get people like that who are just seeing if they can get a freebie etc and as long as you know you've done what you're supposed to etc then don't worry x

I recently had someone who didnt/wouldnt wash off the guide colour so it was 'darker' I told her if she didnt she would just look scruffy - but she wasnt interested. I give up.
Most want the 'orange' look regardless of how silly it looks - there's nothing you can really do about stupidity.
I too have a regular Client who leaves the Guide on for like two days ! I have explained why it is of no benefit but she continues to do so, madness.

I too have a regular Client who leaves the Guide on for like two days ! I have explained why it is of no benefit but she continues to do so, madness.

I have a client that used to get tans done very regular in another salon, when she came to me I sprayed her and gave her aftercare and said wash it off 7-10 hours after, she said "you wash it off" I said yes you wash your guide colour off she said "oh I leave mine on for a week!" I said you don't wash for a week? She said no "I didn't know you we're meant to!"

I have a client that used to get tans done very regular in another salon, when she came to me I sprayed her and gave her aftercare and said wash it off 7-10 hours after, she said "you wash it off" I said yes you wash your guide colour off she said "oh I leave mine on for a week!" I said you don't wash for a week? She said no "I didn't know you we're meant to!"

My jaw literally dropped and eyes popped out !! I would hate to be in her company when she had a tan on ! How smelly ! Haha x

People don't have a clue, I did on the other day who wanted to apply her own tan before I sprayed her 😳 I had to point out that a. It was what came into contact with the skin that coloured it and b. if she did I wouldn't be guaranteeing any colour change at all or maybe even green! Insisted on 16% in the end....she was blonde and fair skinned..looked awful in my opinion 😂

Haha I can't believe anyone could be daft enough to think you can't wash for a week when you've had a spray tan, she's obviously never been given aftercare advice or just never bothered to read it! Can you imagine the smell after a week, urgh!! x

I now know why this teenage generation look so scruffy - its because they really are scruffy.

I cant relate to them. Proms are a nightmare.

Latest posts

Back