Cuticle Away for Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moushax37

Reaction score
I have aaaalways used cuticle away during shellac application and never have problems! I just came across the official cnd video of shellac application, and it shows a dry pep, with no cuticle away.
What does everyone else do?
I feel like without cuticle away I'd be there all day trying to get someof that stubborn cuticle off the plate that cuticle away loosens right up...

Also, I have never used cuticle eraser. Is it a good product to use between shellac appointments?? I feel like rubbing anything other than solar oil into the cuticle area would gradually loosen the shellac...

I have aaaalways used cuticle away during shellac application and never have problems! I just came across the official cnd video of shellac application, and it shows a dry pep, with no cuticle away.
What does everyone else do?
I feel like without cuticle away I'd be there all day trying to get someof that stubborn cuticle off the plate that cuticle away loosens right up...

Also, I have never used cuticle eraser. Is it a good product to use between shellac appointments?? I feel like rubbing anything other than solar oil into the cuticle area would gradually loosen the shellac...

Hi there,

I use cuticle away with some clients and with some I just do a dry pep. It all depends on customer's cuticle. If it looks really dry and there is a lot of it then I will use cuticle away.

Sorry, can't answer the cuticle erase question as I haven't used it myself yet.

There has been a lot of confusion about what a Dry PEP is.
A dry PEP doesn't mean you don't use CND Cuticle Away all it means is you do not soak the nails before application of your product.

CND Cuticle Away is a fundamental part of PEP/PREP before the application of CND Shellac, CND Brisa Lite Removable Gel, Brisa Gel & L&P.

So carry on using your CND Cuticle Away knowing your doing all the correct steps :)

As for using CND Cuticle Eraser between appointments threats fine but not always needed, if your client has very dry and damaged cuticle area (eponychium, lateral folds) then I would recommend a Moisture Pack of Solar Oil & CND Cuticle Eraser done twice a day until their next appointment.
Get them to apply a dot of CND Cuticle Eraser at the base of the nail plate, rub into the Eponychium and lateral folds.
Hope this helps :hug:

There has been a lot of confusion about what a Dry PEP is.
A dry PEP doesn't mean you don't use CND Cuticle Away all it means is you do not soak the nails before application of your product.

CND Cuticle Away is a fundamental part of PEP/PREP before the application of CND Shellac, CND Brisa Lite Removable Gel, Brisa Gel & L&P.

So carry on using your CND Cuticle Away knowing your doing all the correct steps :)

As for using CND Cuticle Eraser between appointments threats fine but not always needed, if your client has very dry and damaged cuticle area (eponychium, lateral folds) then I would recommend a Moisture Pack of Solar Oil & CND Cuticle Eraser done twice a day until their next appointment.
Get them to apply a dot of CND Cuticle Eraser at the base of the nail plate, rub into the Eponychium and lateral folds.
Hope this helps :hug:

The advice for dry pep used to always be omitting cuticle away (hence why the video shows it WITHOUT cuticle away) and all old threads about it on here state dry pep was just doing the application without cuticle away.

It's only recently with the introduction of Brisa lite that they've now changed it and said dry pep INCLUDES cuticle away now.

The advice for dry pep used to always be omitting cuticle away (hence why the video shows it WITHOUT cuticle away) and all old threads about it on here state dry pep was just doing the application without cuticle away.

It's only recently with the introduction of Brisa lite that they've now changed it and said dry pep INCLUDES cuticle away now.

This isn't a new thing we as EA's have always taught our students to always use Cuticle Away as a part of PEP and PREP.
I was taught this during my training over 8 years ago.

It is suggested that the tech can look at the clients nails and see if they maybe don't have much cuticle on the re growth area therefore not necessarily require Cuticle Away.

I was taught (by a cnd Ea) that dry pep with a shellac application was removing the non living tissue without cuticle away. You can look at all the old threads on here and they all say the same thing.

I was also told both but with brand new clients I ALWAYS use cuticle away, with regulars I tend to do a dry pep (without cuticle away) unless there is stubborn cuticle.

So are we doing it incorrectly???

Last edited:
I always have my clients use cuticle away. They wash before application of Shellac. This removes the product, cleanses the nail and skin of ALL the dead skin and dirt, and it softens the cuticle after exposure to acetone. But that's just me.

I was told you could use it or not. I always used to use it for new clients then I did dry pep without it. That was when i first started using Shellac 2 years ago and I think I was being a bit rough with my tools and maybe they were a bit too sharp IYKWIM because I would always find bits sticking up. Recently I've started using it again all the time on all clients and I'm getting on so much better with it. It's sped up my pep time too I think because its doing the hard work for me xx

I was taught (by a cnd Ea) that dry pep with a shellac application was removing the non living tissue without cuticle away. You can look at all the old threads on here and they all say the same thing.

Regardless the correct protocol which was confirmed at out update training in February, is dry pep/prep means not soaking the nails prior or during manicure. You must use cuticle away on all clients as cuticle away is an integral part of any CND System.
Karen is a Full CND Education Ambassador as she hasn't misinformed you, just given you the updated protocol.
It doesn't matter what it states in the old threads we are giving the updated and Relevant information as of now.
Jen.

Regardless the correct protocol which was confirmed at out update training in February, is dry pep/prep means not soaking the nails prior or during manicure. You must use cuticle away on all clients as cuticle away is an integral part of any CND System.
Karen is a Full CND Education Ambassador as she hasn't misinformed you, just given you the updated protocol.
It doesn't matter what it states in the old threads we are giving the updated and Relevant information as of now.
Jen.

If this is the case then maybe there should be some sort of "sticky" thread highlighting the updated and relevant information otherwise we're not following the correct procedure? Just a thought...

Jen.

Sorry I wasn't saying she misinformed me but she said it "isn't a new thing" when it actually is as we have been told since shellac first came out that a dry pep was preparing the nails without cuticle away nothing at all to do with soaking the nails or not. Like LisaG says maybe new protocols should be relayed to all techs when they change x

So ....dry pep let break it down

Dry - implying no water used

PEP -
P- Perform and manicure
E - eliminate surface contaminants
P - purify the nail plate layers

Ok so if we do dry PEP we still need to PEP and the first step of PEP is perform a manicure so what do we use? CUTICLE AWAY! This is the first set of PEP!! Wether it wet, dry, cold, warm, dark, light.... It's still the first set of PEP!!!

If we don't use cuticle away we will be EPing!! Not PEPing so it is imperative that you use Cuticle away when performing PREP or PEP :)

I think this post highlights the reason ongoing education is important. Just as products change, techniques do too.
JMHO (plus I love visiting my academy :)
Vicki x

I think this post highlights the reason ongoing education is important. Just as products change, techniques do too.
JMHO (plus I love visiting my academy :)
Vicki x

Not all of us have academy's anywhere near us though and I've never ever been contacted by my cnd trainer about any updates to protocol. Maybe they should post any changed information on here as most cnd techs would probably see it then. Just an idea.

Latest posts

Back