Desperately Seeking Nail Artist!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylidae

Reaction score
I have been looking for an experienced nail tech to do my nails forever! Because I am a thech myself, it is very difficult to bring myself to let someone else at my hands. I am a perfectionist and wouldn't wish me on anyone as a client. I'm not mean or nasty, I would never want to hurt someones feelings, but I would never go back if I wasn't happy. I know how nervous I would be if I was doing someone else's nails if they were tech so I understand, but I'm stuck. I am so tired of doing my own, and I see all the great nails, and I just wish I could find someone here to do mine! If you are a tech in Calgary, AB. Canada and you think you could handle a neurotic tech for a client,I would love to hear from you and exchange pics of our work. If you are a neurotic tech from any where I would love to hear your story!

Last edited:
I am not qualified yet but I am terribly neurotic about anyone else doing my nails!!! I went to a place a few months ago and because they didn't clean their or my hands before donning a file, I upped and walked out!

Nothing wrong with being meticulous over your nails - as a tech and as a woman who loves her nails, they are your best feature so why settle for anything but perfection :)

We came to Calgary on holiday last October and I so wish I could live there!! I would do your nails and you could be as picky as you wanted, I wouldn't care as the place is so amazing!! Maybe one day? :)

I know what you mean!
I'm very fussy about my nails, and am a bit of a perfectionist too!
I went on holiday a few weeks ago and although I usually do my own enhancements, I thought I'd treat myself, and book into a local salon to have a pedicure and a new set of enhancements as I didn't really have time to do them myself...too busy packing and running around....besides I thought it would be a nice treat to have some one else do them!
Anyway, the tech did the pedicure first, which was lovely, but when it came to the enhancements, she told me she had only been doing them for about a year and that she had trained at college. Fair enough I thought.
Sadly she didn't really have a clue about what she was doing! I practically guided her through the whole process, even telling her how to hold the file properly and how to set up her desk! :eek:
I found so many things wrong with what she was doing...her santiation left alot to be desired.....her application of the l&p was really quite appalling, and her timing was terrible....I sat there for almost 3 hours!.....I didn't criticise, merely gently suggested and guided her, at every step of the way.
The amazing thing is, she was soooooo grateful for my help, she said she had felt like she'd had a one on one lesson, and that she felt she had never really got the hang of it at college!....She was so pleased, she let me have a fiver off of the price for helping her!!
To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement!! If I hadn't been so short on time I would have left half way through I think, but she was so sweet, and such a nice girl and seemed genuinely interested in everything I was telling her, and in learning more, that I felt sorry for her!!
The frightening thing is, this poor girl is doing enhancements on the general public!!
I can't believe these colleges pass these girls on their course having not even taught them the basics correctly! I think it is disgraceful that these colleges allow these students to believe that they are fully trained and are then qualified to work on the general public!

I think were all abit nervous about letting another nail tech do our nails, i know i am too.

think i would let Sam or Anthony do them for me tho lol

I think were all abit nervous about letting another nail tech do our nails, i know i am too.

think i would let Sam or Anthony do them for me tho lol

What about me???? :hug:

I hope that Mich77 suggested that the girl get some good further education and some 121 training with her local CND educator in Bournemouth :lol:

I hope that Mich77 suggested that the girl get some good further education and some 121 training with her local CND educator in Bournemouth :lol:

Yes I did Geeg, I explained about how important it is to have proper training and that she should update her skills on a regular basis, but she said she couldn't afford any more training at the moment.......nothing I could say to that really, so I just said well do it as soon as you can then.

Last edited by a moderator:
@mich777 i finished a nail tech program at a beauty college and my instructor showed me once how to do it and then we practiced on dowels and off we were to do it on the public. ofc the clients that come to the school sign a waiver but i did 3 sets of nails before i graduated. i'm still awful at artificial nails. I work at a salon now but I never do acrylics because having someone pay for that service would be a crime. At the same time, you never get better until you really have to. My instructor said she was awful at it for a year and that's just how it goes.

We came to Calgary on holiday last October and I so wish I could live there!! I would do your nails and you could be as picky as you wanted, I wouldn't care as the place is so amazing!! Maybe one day? :)
Calgary IS a great place Sheila, and I do wish you were here. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only tech in this town that even goes on-line. I'm an old fogey and just recently aquired an internet capable computer, when I got the internet I immidiately went on and joined every nail site I could find to connect with people here. I love talking to techs from around the world, it's great, but I can't seem to find very many from my neck-of-the-woods :(

Apparently I am the only tech in Calgary on ANY nail forum, as I can't seem to find anyone on any of the ones I frequent. Well, I'll keep trying I guess.

Apparently I am the only tech in Calgary on ANY nail forum, as I can't seem to find anyone on any of the ones I frequent. Well, I'll keep trying I guess.

:hug:Hi There!
I am from Edmonton ( So of course no help to you!! ) but there is another Forum called Beauty Tech, there are alot of Canadians on that one. ( me included).. LOL!!
I know of a couple that come to mind that are in Calgary.. There is also a Nail Distribution/Training center called "Just Nailz" ( That is where I get my supplies from) They have a Nail Tech locater on their site.. Or you can call them and they would certainly help you out!

Sincerely;
Janet:)

I have been looking for an experienced nail tech to do my nails forever! Because I am a thech myself, it is very difficult to bring myself to let someone else at my hands. I am a perfectionist and wouldn't wish me on anyone as a client. I'm not mean or nasty, I would never want to hurt someones feelings, but I would never go back if I wasn't happy. I know how nervous I would be if I was doing someone else's nails if they were tech so I understand, but I'm stuck. I am so tired of doing my own, and I see all the great nails, and I just wish I could find someone here to do mine! If you are a tech in Calgary, AB. Canada and you think you could handle a neurotic tech for a client,I would love to hear from you and exchange pics of our work. If you are a neurotic tech from any where I would love to hear your story!

Did you find anyone in Calgary? I live in Calgary! I would love to trade nails with you!

Latest posts

Back