Detox Foot Bath

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam28

Reaction score
Has anyone had a go with one of these, thinking of buying one as a bit of an add-on, any recommendations welcome ?? Unless anyone can think of a better add-on. Currently doing spray-tans and acrylic/gel nail/toes aswell and thinking of expanding services slightly, any suggestions space is limited aswell ? Willing to enrol in any training obviously :hug:

The detox bath is a con
the water will change colour no matter what you put in it,
the semi permanent eye lash extensions are popular in most months hth

My chiropractor offers foot detox baths and from what I remember, the price is hefty AND he recommends consecutive treatments for maximum effect. YIKES!

we have done shows with our Irish distributor years ago and they had these detox baths on the stand next to us. It was heaving all the time and the stuff that comes out is disgusting. One of our colleagues went for a detox bath and you could literally smell the wine (a bit of a party the night before)!

I believe the foot baths can be quite expensive and many therapists at that time have commented that it takes up about half an hour of your time while your client has got the feet in the bath. However since then there is also detox foot patches and they are fantastic as they are sold as a retail item so you dont tie your capital down with buying more equipment and it doesnt tie up your time.

So you could actually do both, offer detox in patch form and at the same time do some more treatments like lash extensions. A lot of people have gone that route and been very successful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiyah

I agree with Carl on this subject, Watchdog had a programme about these baths a couple of years ago, CON, CON, CON, dont waste your money

hth
Sue :)

As with all retail items there is of course good and poor quality and i would always make sure you buy the best quality and ask for certification to ensure it is approved and legal for sale and use in your country.

Detox patches are just an example for retail items such as tanning moisturizers, exfoliators, spa products etc that are a fantastic add on to any salon and can help to increase sales and profit without tying your time as a therapist up. Especially if you choose retail items that compliment your treatments clients will take this up easily and it will not only help your business but also make your work easier if clients use the recommended before/after products to look after their skin/hair/tan/nails etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ear Piercing is a good add on but I better not say anymore on that subject:rolleyes:

Very charming :rolleyes: but I believe the thread was about add ons not what you or I believe.

As with all retail items there is of course good and poor quality and i would always make sure you buy the best quality and ask for certification to ensure it is approved and legal for sale and use in your country.

Detox patches are just an example for retail items such as tanning moisturizers, exfoliators, spa products etc that are a fantastic add on to any salon and can help to increase sales and profit without tying your time as a therapist up. Especially if you choose retail items that compliment your treatments clients will take this up easily and it will not only help your business but also make your work easier if clients use the recommended before/after products to look after their skin/hair/tan/nails etc.

I can see your point BUT if you retail stuff that is proven to be a con or at best useless it really doesn't do your credibility any good

I still cant see how this is relevant to the posted thread of "add on to the business" - wouldnt it be better to help with advice?

But just a thought .....What makes a con a con? Is a product that makes people feel good or look different a con? Or is it something you cant see like reflexology and other holistic approaches? How about fake tan, fake nails, lipstick or even placebos? Which one is a con? :confused:

I still cant see how this is relevant to the posted thread of "add on to the business" - wouldnt it be better to help with advice?

But just a thought .....What makes a con a con? Is a product that makes people feel good or look different a con? Or is it something you cant see like reflexology and other holistic approaches? How about fake tan, fake nails, lipstick or even placebos? Which one is a con? :confused:

They are just trying to help her save money by not wasting it on a hoax. :hug:

The difference is fake tan gives you colour, fake nails give you beautiful nails, lipstick gives you coloured lips and this is all they promise to do. All a detox spa gives you is wet feet.

With reflexology (which I myself do not believe in the theory behind) I have less of an objection as the client is paying to "feel better", which they will achieve through the treatment, whether it works through the healing and unblocking of energy channels or not they get the relaxation that they paid for. There is scientific evidence to show that placebos do have their place in medicine but with a detox spa you are paying to "have" your body detoxed not to "feel" you have been. With a detox spa you are paying not to just "feel better" but to actually "be better" but this is not the result of the spa.

The science of a detox foot spa is that as the current passes through the water the iron electrode is oxidized producing a red/brown iron hydroxide precipitate. It would happen with or without putting your feet in it and therefore it is just a con plane and simple as the client is not getting what they think they are paying for. :hug:

Last edited:
Has anyone had a go with one of these, thinking of buying one as a bit of an add-on, any recommendations welcome ?? Unless anyone can think of a better add-on. Currently doing spray-tans and acrylic/gel nail/toes aswell and thinking of expanding services slightly, any suggestions space is limited aswell ? Willing to enrol in any training obviously :hug:

Detox foot bath jobbies were a big hit here in the UK a couple of years ago and many many salons purchased these systems.

There was indeed some bad publicity on weather this treatment works or not ...and I think the debate above basicly sums things up.

Now its not a case that you should only offer a product or service that you specifically believe in ..you do have to take a commercial view and ask the question" is there a demand for this product/service"..the next question is" is the return on the initial investment I need to make going to be worth the risk I am going to make in investing in it in the first place"

as I see it(swerving away from the "does it work or not issues")the peak in this demand is now not as strong as it was some years ago ..in fact it is pretty much flat...and may not be worthwhile the upfront investment...

Maybe any Geeks who do offer this service would be better qualified as to its commercial viability.

It might be worth you taking a bit of time out and go round all the salons local to you to see what they offer and either
1) follow their lead
2) source products/services that they perhaps dont offer.

In generall terms retail items are a good way forward to adding to salon revenue and therefore commercial viability of your buisness as a whole.

Have a good look around and good luck with both your salon and services you may offer :hug:

Very charming :rolleyes: but I believe the thread was about add ons not what you or I believe.

I have used a detox spa and found the results very good, I had a raging hangover and felt 90% better after it so was totally sold on it.
My friend had to close down due to ill health and offered to sell me the spa as she knew I had always hankered after it, but in the end I declined as I don't think it would get much business and would take up precious storage space.

I have used the detox pads and found them very good.

for an add-on, I would think of something else though, the detox spa is a niche market not an everyday market.

Well thanks very much to those who are offering kind, helpful advice - had not heard a thing about them and thought it maybe quite gimicky to have. Definitely shan't get one with such mixed reports. Think Louise's idea of flirties lashes is probably the one to go for. Is it just me or does anyone else think these forums are getting really bitchy and clicky ???? (no offence meant !). Its not just mine, but I read other threads where people are just asking advice and some people are being downright nasty ??

Well thanks very much to those who are offering kind, helpful advice - had not heard a thing about them and thought it maybe quite gimicky to have. Definitely shan't get one with such mixed reports. Think Louise's idea of flirties lashes is probably the one to go for. Is it just me or does anyone else think these forums are getting really bitchy and clicky ???? (no offence meant !). Its not just mine, but I read other threads where people are just asking advice and some people are being downright nasty ??

Hi Sam...so glad you have been able to see through all the nonsense comments and have found at least some postings informative and constructive so that you can form an apropriate descision based on the facts persented.

It is a shame when personel opinions spill out into contraversy and that professional opinions and common sense aren't allowed to prevail.

It must be so off putting and doesn't portray the correct image of our profession as a whole ...and what must newbies make of it :eek:

Every success in your endevoures :hug:

oh I know most are REALLY lovely and REALLY helpful but you get the odd t****r that really bugs me, there's absolutely no need for it whatsoever. Like Collin says any new people must read these threads and think how totally unprofessional some are and probably darent put a thread up. Give me ten mins in a room with them all and they would soon learn how temper tantrums, hissy fits and egotistic maniacs get nowhere ! You can always tell the professionals from the unprofessionals and hence know whose advice to take and whose to yawn over xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back