Did anyone watch Beauty and The Beast....the ugly face of prejudice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toffeepop

Reaction score
It was on Channel 4 on Wednesday. I found it quite sad. The girl that was on it wanted various cosmetic surgeries, and spent up to 4 hours prepping herself before she'd go anywhere. She had to spend a week with a man who had been badly disfigured in a fire when he was a teenager.

He's had around 120 surgeries so far to repair his face etc following the fire, and was quite appalled at the young girl wanting cosmetic surgery. However, she had very large breasts, so I could deffo understand why she wanted the breast reduction done! but she didn't mention about the physical side of having very large breasts - she just found it hard dealing with smutty comments etc. I'd have thought the pain in her back and neck would have been viewed as a more 'valid' reason for breast reduction surgery, and then backed it up with the smutty comments etc.

It was very interesting to watch both the participants and I'm looking forward to next weeks episode.

Did anyone else watch it? What did you think of it?

What impressed me most was the non judgemental attitude of the man who had been injured in the fire. It would have been so easy for him to dismiss her as superficial and shallow. Instead, he learned to understand just how hard it was for such a young girl to be subjected to the kind of remarks that she endures every day. And, as she said, he is an inspiration.

I did watch it (and series linked it to record all others)
I found it really sad how she wanted to change everything about herself. I'm a big girl myself and although I am not happy with my size and shape I honestly wouldn't consider having things done. I can understand how she wants a reduction being that large must be very uncomfortable and painful for her. But she was beautiful, I know we all view ourselves differently but she really was a lovely girl. I do hope the man she was teamed up with, what a terribly sad story, poor guy :-( I hope he does make her see some things about what she is thinking of doing, she doesn't need to change, she is lovely, she just needs to work on her confidence, like most of us do.
xx

Oh no, I wanted to after I saw the advert but I missed it! Is it available to view elsewhere?

Smooth - You can probably watch it online on 4 on demand or i player, not sure what it is called :)

I watched it & thought that man was an inspiration, what a lovely bloke.
I did feel sad for that girl that she has to put up with all that verbal abuse however every item of clothes we saw her in was very low cut, & her boobs were falling out, so people couldnt help but notice them. I am not saying she should wear roll necks but at least clothes that are not so revealing.

Next weeks episode looks a bit heated.

I find programmes like this & embarrassing bodies really make you realise how lucky we are & our body issuess are not that bad. x

Last edited:
I think it's 4od to watch it on line. Next weeks looks interesting the pair they put together just argue.
I love how people who are disfigured are a total inspiration to everyone not matter what disfigurement they have they are beautiful.
Has anyone heard of nick vujicic what an amazing guy. If anyone hasn't heard of him his videos are you tube (get some tissues ready)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I like programmes like this, but sometimes they do have a habit of portraying disfigured people as though they are different. I think we have to be very careful not to approach every disabled/disfigured person as though they were saints - they are ultimately people just like us with virtues and faults. One of my brothers is disabled and I have notice that some people seem to assume his disability makes him a saint, which after having lived with him I know to be untrue! I know he sometimes finds it patronising that they speak to him as though he were different, whether that to be insult him or to coo over him like he were a cute dog!

Thanks, I'll have a look at that later, looked at a quick video of Nick, it just proves that you are able to adapt to any situation. He has no arms or legs, just a little foot with a couple of toes on yet he can do a lot of things all by himself.

Programmes like the one mentioned in this thread will have a percentage of the population showing more empathy towards people with visible disfigurements, however there will always be a percentage of people who will stare unnecessarily and even mock them unfortunately.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that later, looked at a quick video of Nick, it just proves that you are able to adapt to any situation. He has no arms or legs, just a little foot with a couple of toes on yet he can do a lot of things all by himself.

Programmes like the one mentioned in this thread will have a percentage of the population showing more empathy towards people with visible disfigurements, however there will always be a percentage of people who will stare unnecessarily and even mock them unfortunately.

Yes there will always be some cruel sick people out there who will stare and be nasty.

I definatley think these programmes teach people a lot and make people look at life differently.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I saw this and was quite impressed. I love these types of programmes! I felt sorry for the girl in this because she was so self concious and yet was pretty without make up. I so don't blame her for wanting a reduction, I definately would want to with those comments and abuse

Hi
- sorry for butting in & I've not seen this programme yet - I think these type of programmes are usually good...but I really dont like the titles - speaking as someone with a facial disfigurement, it kind of implies that I'm a beast - I am probably a teeny bit sensitive about it. (i know that the programmes usually handle the subject with great sensitivity & tact but still...) anyway -sorry again just my two pennoth:)

Hi
- sorry for butting in & I've not seen this programme yet - I think these type of programmes are usually good...but I really dont like the titles - speaking as someone with a facial disfigurement, it kind of implies that I'm a beast - I am probably a teeny bit sensitive about it. (i know that the programmes usually handle the subject with great sensitivity & tact but still...) anyway -sorry again just my two pennoth:)

Dont aplpogise hun :hug: - that is the idea of threads for people to say what they like about the subject. x

Thanks Emma:) - just a bit shy really. & facial disfigurements or looking different is a subject i could talk about for hours :eek: so couldnt not comment on the thread unfortunately not with much of value to say tonight :eek:cos am really tired (read -hungover!!)

Ok, I've just watched it on catch up tv. Don't go mad but I thought the guy was a bit arrogant initially saying surgeons had better things to do with their time than operate on these people. The thing is that's what surgeons do the majority of the time, work in the NHS, then on their day off they do private work on patients who want cosmetic procedures.

Is it a bad thing? No, just different to those who seed plastic surgery for accidents or birth defects. But then again you get those who do not wish to have surgery for these indications as they are happy with the way they are. That is what it boils down to at the end of the day, people unhappy with themselves and want to change it. Those with REAL needs will get it done free of charge on the NHS, those with general cosmetic needs will have to pay for it privately.

Should they be frowned upon? No. Just like those who are different to the majority should not be frowned upon or looked at negatively.

I think the programme next week will be interesting, they both seemed to dislike each other, one for vanity reasons (she did seem up herself) and the other as she was being judged as being 'ugly' for her facial differences!! How bad is that, especially as that woman was injecting herself so was she a nurse or doctor in the first place? If she was then she doesn't have the empathy to maintain her registration.

I think the programme next week will be interesting, they both seemed to dislike each other, one for vanity reasons (she did seem up herself) and the other as she was being judged as being 'ugly' for her facial differences!! How bad is that, especially as that woman was injecting herself so was she a nurse or doctor in the first place? If she was then she doesn't have the empathy to maintain her registration.

Well just watched it and yes she was completely up her own ****. I doubt whether she was a qualified professional the way she behaved so there definitely isn't a professional registration to worry about. I think Adam has a fantastic attitude, no matter what happens or what people say to him it doesn't phase him. He is very inspirational and I think we all could learn a lot from him.

I completely agree he really is inspirational. I also found the lady on tonights program to be aswell. I personally found the woman that was supposed to be the 'beauty' on tonights show an absolute disgrace, i know thats very harsh but i really did. To compare having her nose broken with the other ladies disfigurement was terrible. She just didnt get it at all and i dont think she ever will.

Hi -
I havent seen all of it yet, but i personally see no reason why anybody shouldn't want to make themselves look or feel better in any way they choose, whether they are beautiful/ordinary/different!...i'm probably not explaining myself very well.

But from what i saw the 'beauty' spent fortunes on cosmetic surgery/beauty treatments etc etc cos it makes her feel good & i honestly didnt think she looked bad(hope i look like that at 50.Lol!)

The lady with the difference was happy with the way she looked & thats fine but i didnt feel she was very understanding that someone should want to improve/change themselves.

I hope you understand what i am trying to say xx

Aww yes totally, i completely agree theres nothing wrong in people enhancing their appearance to make themselves feel better i would encourage that. But i also do think theres a limit.

That ladies attitude just bothered me because it was a simple message that they were trying to make her understand, that theres more to life than appearance and she just seemed very ignorant to it. I think thats why the other lady got so frustrated. I thought the situation would have made her put things into perspective but it didnt and she came across quite badly in alot of the show like she just couldnt get past herself xx

To be controversial for a minute, isn't it people like "the beauty" on tonights show who keep a lot of us in business?

I didn't like her attitude really, and admired the other lady's guts.

Hi -
I havent seen all of it yet, but i personally see no reason why anybody shouldn't want to make themselves look or feel better in any way they choose, whether they are beautiful/ordinary/different!...i'm probably not explaining myself very well.

But from what i saw the 'beauty' spent fortunes on cosmetic surgery/beauty treatments etc etc cos it makes her feel good & i honestly didnt think she looked bad(hope i look like that at 50.Lol!)

The lady with the difference was happy with the way she looked & thats fine but i didnt feel she was very understanding that someone should want to improve/change themselves.

I hope you understand what i am trying to say xx

the point that she was trying to get across was that she had lots of surgery to make her face useable (and not aesthetically pleasing) so she had a need for it. She had a disfigurement that meant she had a huge hole in her face and couldn't use it for normal activities of daily living.

She then thought that people should be happy with themselves if they had a perfectly good and useable face, so what if it was wrinkled or had a nose that was bent, there was nothing wrong with it so why go under the knife?

I thought her point was valid (even though I completely agree with cosmetic surgery if you want it rather than need it) and equally agreed that the so called beauty (thought she looked terrible personally, smooth face but her eyes looked like they belonged to someone else, your face should match up so she needs to lay off the injectable treatments or go and get an upper and lower bleph done) could have seen the other point of view and that people can be happy with their appearance without ever having an intervention.

Latest posts

Back