Dirty fingernails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sal365

Reaction score
Just wondered if any of you have ever had a client with really dirty fingernails? I had this the other day, didn't really know what to do! Didn't want to embarrass her by gouging out dirt onto my couch roll so I just kind of cleaned underneath with my scrub fresh as I went along, got some of it out. Thankfully she had chosen a dark colour so it didn't show when I was done!!

I've had this a few times but I always cleaned it out thoroughly. Any dirt left behind might cause nails not to last. Also if you do clean it out properly they will see how gross it is and make sure there hands are clean next time lol

Just wondered if any of you have ever had a client with really dirty fingernails? I had this the other day, didn't really know what to do! Didn't want to embarrass her by gouging out dirt onto my couch roll so I just kind of cleaned underneath with my scrub fresh as I went along, got some of it out. Thankfully she had chosen a dark colour so it didn't show when I was done!!

Every client (and yourself) should sanitise their hands before a treatment by washing them and using a nail brush under the free edge then Cool Blue before you begin ... This should be routine.

If your normal routine is to only use Cool Blue hand sanitiser, or something similar, without washing and you can clearly see that the client's nails are dirty ... Suggest she clean them well with a nail brush and anti-bac soap before you start. The nail brush should then go into a sanitising solution.

You do not have to say "yuck, your nails are gross, go and wash!" :biggrin:
A simple polite invitation to step over to the basin should not offend anyone ... If it is not routine then suggest it as if it were.

I never clean yuck from beneath a client's nails ... That is not my job. Filth under nails could contain blood, faeces, urine or any number of microbes. That is the client's responsibility.

Attending an appointment at a nail salon with dirt under the fingernails is like going to see the gynaecologist without making sure one is fresh and clean.

Last edited:
Attending an appointment at a nail salon with dirt under the fingernails is like going to see the gynaecologist without making sure one is fresh and clean.

That's what I thought too!! I did get her to wash at the basin thinking she would use the opportunity to clean up but no!! I wasn't 't going to start poking about trying to get the deep stuff out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. I was taught not to touch the grubbies underneath. Love the gyn analogy :)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

That's what I thought too!! I did get her to wash at the basin thinking she would use the opportunity to clean up but no!! I wasn't 't going to start poking about trying to get the deep stuff out.[/QUOTE]
Sometimes you have to spell it out to them in specifics. "Would you like to go over to the wash basin and use the nail brush and Anti-bac soap both over and under your nails, and give them a good scrub?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my clients wash and offer a nail brush before we sanitize our hands but I also have nail brushes for sale with a sign that says:

"Nail Brushes - to remove what your Shellac is hiding!!"

It always raises a laugh x

I have my clients wash and offer a nail brush before we sanitize our hands but I also have nail brushes for sale with a sign that says:

Love it!! :)

If the clients job means they have dirty nails then i clean as much as i can for them. One client i have is a gardner so you can imagine how dirty finger nails can get. I always ssoak my clients hands in a nice warm bowl with anti bac soak and then scrub with a nail brush and then dry. However if its just lack of hygiene i would request they wash them themselves

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you've been a manacurist in an old people's home, you won't believe the GUNK you find under thier nails !! And as they are in wheelchairs they can't go wash thier hands !! This is where I found a manicure finger bowl my most necessary piece of equipment.. to soak thier fingers in to soften up the gunk so I could prise it out with orange stick wrapped with cotton wool. Not for the faint hearted, but somebody has to do it.. the manicurist !

Thank god those days are over for me.. bless em :biggrin:

Ive experienced this too x
Mine had really long nails ,
There was really hard and yellow x
The stuff under neath was horrendous
And smelly :/
I found myself sanitising her hands quite a lot just to mask the smell!
Even though they had soaked in a bowl too 😷

Oh god...I don't think I want to do this job anymore...xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Ive experienced this too x
Mine had really long nails ,
There was really hard and yellow x
The stuff under neath was horrendous
And smelly :/
I found myself sanitising her hands quite a lot just to mask the smell!
Even though they had soaked in a bowl too 😷

Yuckkkk, made me feel a bit queasy reading that! :/ x

Excellent - I'll add a nail brush to my aftercare kit

Every client (and yourself) should sanitise their hands before a treatment by washing them and using a nail brush under the free edge then Cool Blue before you begin ... This should be routine.

If your normal routine is to only use Cool Blue hand sanitiser, or something similar, without washing and you can clearly see that the client's nails are dirty ... Suggest she clean them well with a nail brush and anti-bac soap before you start. The nail brush should then go into a sanitising solution.

You do not have to say "yuck, your nails are gross, go and wash!" :biggrin:
A simple polite invitation to step over to the basin should not offend anyone ... If it is not routine then suggest it as if it were.

I never clean yuck from beneath a client's nails ... That is not my job. Filth under nails could contain blood, faeces, urine or any number of microbes. That is the client's responsibility.

Geeg, you really appealed to my imagination and common sense now.

I used cool blue only and was really pleased with myself but now I can see that it is simply not enough!

How do you approach your customers for them to wash their hands? I always come across very straight forward so need a bit of a fluff in my feathers to soften me up and not make my customers feel like I'm bossing them around :/

Xx

Can anyone recommend how to clean hands and nails, for someone who works with coal and tar?
It obviously stains behind the free edge and in the cracks if their hands :/ x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

What about clients that sneeze into their hands and get offended when you ask them kindly to please wash them? 😳

I always start my nail treatments with hand washing then sanitise gel because you don't know where your clients have been prior to appointment. If my clients still have 'mystery gunk' under their nails, I send them to the sink with a nail brush!
I don't think it's the nail tech's job to clean excess dirt - it's a personal hygiene thing like brushing your teeth before going to the dentist - I'm not squeamish but it's the one thing that really makes me feel gippy :/

If the clients job means they have dirty nails then i clean as much as i can for them. One client i have is a gardner so you can imagine how dirty finger nails can get. I always ssoak my clients hands in a nice warm bowl with anti bac soak and then scrub with a nail brush and then dry. However if its just lack of hygiene i would request they wash them themselves

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Naughty client should wear gloves :biggrin:

I have a similar dilemma in that I do a client's Shellac at her home & she really is quite poorly & not very mobile. Just getting her to a sink wouldn't really work, so I just smother on the cool blue. Sometimes they're not too bad, other times it makes me feel ill. I really don't know how to approach this... Because it's Shellac, I don't want to soak but how can I broach it without her getting upset?!

Latest posts

Back