Disabled client in a wheel chair contraindications.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am doing a full manicure on a client Friday morning. My client is in a wheelchair, I haven't met her yet she lives around the corner from me, she is a new neighbor . She txt me and asked me for a full manicure after I posted a leaflet through her door. I am looking forward to meeting her and hopes she becomes a regular client. Obviously I don't know her situation why she is in a wheel chair and I will treat her like I would another client. But wondered if there is anything I should watch out for, I know this might sound like a really silly question but if she asks for tips would it be bad practice to apply them? Do I need a doctors note? Circulatory problems and medication?
I was going to give her a full mani with massage file and polish but not use any metal implements.

Any advise would be great.xx

Just treat her like every other client - you will find out during consultation if she has any contra-indications that you should be aware of etc, if not then just proceed with the treatment as you normally would, no need to exclude any metal/sharp equipment unless she has any contra-indications..

You will be fine x

I agree with the other poster. If you were giving her a pedicure that would be a different story. If you are going to use any paraffin wax, cuticle removal with metal instrument or massage, then you would need to ask certain medical questions. If only applying tips with product, no need to treat her any different than your other clients.

hi jo not a silly question, if it had been pedicure then yeah ud need to ask more questions, but again id rather ask and b sure then b panicking. my brother is in a wheelchair (motorbike accident) hated the things before detest them
now!! u just need to tell her if she has any type of enhancement to becareful as if she gets herself around shes probably more prone to bashing her hands on the wheels and chair users are alot more hands on then other clients. x

u just need to tell her if she has any type of enhancement to becareful as if she gets herself around shes probably more prone to bashing her hands on the wheels and chair users are alot more hands on then other clients. x

Probably best to check if she uses a manual wheelchair, or an electric wheelchair, or both sorts of chair then, and if she uses a manual chair, if she propels it herself using her hands or gets a carer to push her.

If she just uses an electric wheelchair, or always gets a carer to push her if in a manual chair, then her hands should not be subject to the same abuse as if she was propelling a manual chair herself.

This might sound a bit random - but please ask her if she has a latex allergy! That's because my lovely wife Sonia has a latex allergy - she'll end up with a horrible rash if touched with a latex glove - she reckons it's because of all her extended hospital stays.

So, as many disabled people will probably have more hospital visits than the population as a whole, they'll probably be in contact with latex a lot more - and so be more likely to have developed a latex allergy...

This might sound a bit random - but please ask her if she has a latex allergy! That's because my lovely wife Sonia has a latex allergy - she'll end up with a horrible rash if touched with a latex glove - she reckons it's because of all her extended hospital stays.

So, as many disabled people will probably have more hospital visits than the population as a whole, they'll probably be in contact with latex a lot more - and so be more likely to have developed a latex allergy...

very true!!!

It went really well!!:biggrin::biggrin: I thought I was only doing a manicure but she was looking for something that lasts a bit longer as her polish never lasts and her hands are in bit of a state. She had Gelish Gossip Girl. Her hands were very dry with layers of hard skin.
She has a flare up of Eczema from using stTropez tan. Which she is treating with a hydroctizone cream. even though I am using professional products I still didn't want to risk giving a hand and arm massage.

Ruth Mills she has a manual chair hence the hard broken skin thanks for the info I probably would have felt awkward asking otherwise. And I bought Vitrile gloves as I was told these were safer.

MissLB sorry to hear about your brother hun that's awful.xx

She has re-booked me and her mother so I have a double appointment. She is very pleased with her nails. She wants me to do her feet but only a paint and polish as she is no longer walking around the skin on her feet are soft. She wants to start pampering her self again.xx

Again thanks for the info made me feel less awkward treating her.xx

Latest posts

Back