Disappointed with my waxing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloughers

Reaction score
I've recently trained with Kim Lawless for speed waxing and intimate and loved it. I did a Brazilian on a friend who always has them and she said it was less painful than usual so if was pleased but I did my friends high leg bikini tonight and she said it hurt more than when she's had it done before. I am a bit disappointed and worried that I did something wrong although she hasn't had it done for a while because she kept getting bad reactions from wax. She said last time she had it done it was strip wax and so more little bits rather than one strip each side and maybe it's because she hasn't has it for a while. At the end of the day, it's gonna hurt but I really thought she'd say it was better than previous waxes :(

Hello. I would imagine it has nothing whatsoever to do with your technique and more to do with the fact your friend has had so long between waxes. At the end of the day, hair removed from the root is going to nip a bit, right? Don't beat yourself up. Ask her to come back again in 4 weeks for her next appointment and I bet it will hurt less than the first time. Keep your chin up. You've trained with the best so well done and keep going :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was at college I was having leg waxes all the time and it got bare able each time I had it to the point I wasn't bothered!! Had one done a few months ago before holiday and it was awful my legs wouldn't stop stinging! So prb due to the fact she hasn't had one in a while x

Hi Jo. Well I did tell you that the worst people to wax are friends and family as they make a fuss.

Also, I never taught you to remove in one strip so refer to your step by step guide.

You were brilliant on your training and yet you continue to doubt yourself. We've spoken, and texted and Facebooked and emailed on numerous occasions and you only trained a couple of weeks ago. Please stop worrying and just do a brilliant job and don't quiz people on how they found it. I bet you asked her loads of questions about whether it hurt more than last time and if she'd have said no you would have said 'do you mean it?'.

If I could bottle something and give it to as a present Jo it would be self worth and self confidence. I don't know what else to say to encourage you. You were fabulous on your training……..what more can I say? Please stop worrying. :hug:

Just seen on your FB page one of your clients telling you how thrilled she was with her brows and what was your response? lol I'm not going to out you on here but you really need to change your attitude. Meditate and focus on the positive instead of the negatives. Keep your chin up. x

Last edited:
I am a bit disappointed and worried that I did something wrong although she hasn't had it done for a while because she kept getting bad reactions from wax.
You shouldn't have waxed her if she told you that when you did your consultation. I think you should wax some strangers as that might make you feel more confident.

Last edited:
You've had probably the best hot wax training you will ever get with Kim! Just breath, remember what she taught you, go thro each stage a step at a time, and dont try and rush or take short cuts!

I've been waxing for years too, and a lot of my clients actually prefer strip to hot wax - it's not the training, it's down to the individual client - if they prefer strip, do strip!

I do agree with Kim tho, try and practice more with non-family / friends, and just go for it with confidence! If you appear nervous, your clients will feel it and therefore it may feel more painful! Have confidence in what you know xxx hth xx

Couple of close friends get their waxing for free from me. That is good enough to prove I'm a pal, I wouldn't consider asking them if they found it good/bad/painful. If they don't like it away and pay someone to do it. Plus on the whole family and friends are moany. Then again I'm a moan so it's a brave person who'd pass bad comments to me!! ;)

I also trained with Kim recently, and am continually questioning if i'm doing everything right. I have also got great back up from Kim with any questions etc.

Although I have been waxing for years, Brazilians were something new, and I had 1 in on Thursday and 3 in on Saturday. I have to remind myself that they want me to remove their bikini hair - I haven't forced them. Three of them have been shaving. Those three knew i had only just trained, and the third was a brand new client who has regular Brazilians. My room is boiling hot and I am dripping with sweat half way through. I need a fan!!!
Two clients have texted and said they were very happy with the result. I did ask them if it was all ok, but didn't ask them to compare with previous waxing. It can also be a lot more sensitive if you are due on as well I think.

If I have removed the hair with minimum trauma, I'm happy!!! There will always be a degree of pain, but my confidence is growing with the fab support x

I have regular Brazilians - some weeks they hurt more than others! If my period is due it hurts way more than if it's just passed! That's just how it is! Don't worry about it and stop practising on friends who will critique you every step of the way!
X

Omg friends and family waxing = nightmare ...
When I had just qualified in warm wax oh soo many years ago - my 2 friends wanted bikini waxes for their hols ...
It was the most distressful thing ever - 'for me' ... pulling legs up / closing legs - wax stuck between skin folds, bruising as I'd pull skin tight and they'd pull their legs in - it put me off so much that I didn't do bikini waxing for probably about 2 yrs ...
Eventually I tried again with clients and everything was fine,
but my advice - be confident and it will show through ... You've had the best of training so stop doubting yourself ... <3

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Omg friends and family waxing = nightmare ...
When I had just qualified in warm wax oh soo many years ago - my 2 friends wanted bikini waxes for their hols ...
It was the most distressful thing ever - 'for me' ... pulling legs up / closing legs - wax stuck between skin folds, bruising as I'd pull skin tight and they'd pull their legs in - it put me off so much that I didn't do bikini waxing for probably about 2 yrs ...
Eventually I tried again with clients and everything was fine,
but my advice - be confident and it will show through ... You've had the best of training so stop doubting yourself ... <3

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I have to say this is SO true. My first Brazilian was on a friend who spent the whole time going "What the F*** Ow Ow OW" etc!!!

Started doing clients, and was a little bossy and confident, and it was so different. Can only thank Kim again and again for getting back to me so quickly with tips and suggestions and confidence boosting comments!!!

I have regular Brazilians - some weeks they hurt more than others! If my period is due it hurts way more than if it's just passed! That's just how it is! Don't worry about it and stop practising on friends who will critique you every step of the way!
X
Yes, this. Sometimes it's hurts more for more than other weeks depending on where I am in my cycle.

If it's been a while between waxes, or if she's been shaving in between, all that can add to it being more painful.

Thanks all! She did say it was her period so could be that... I was going over in my head and thinking maybe I wasn't stretching enough? Kim, I only did one strip each side because there wasn't much hair if that makes sense, it was only the width of a bikini wax if you know what I mean and I patch tested her with Euroblonde and Cristal Oceon last week and it was fine (you might remember me asking about reactions at training, this was the girl I was on about). I think it's hard, like you say when it's friends but I have to get over it and not feel bad because a lot of my clients are friends. On a good note one of my tan clients has recommended me this morning on fb to one of her friends who is pregnant and wants a Brazilian for the birth. She's just booked, now I'm REALLY scared!!! anything I should do differently in pregnancy? X

Thanks all! She did say it was her period so could be that... I was going over in my head and thinking maybe I wasn't stretching enough? Kim, I only did one strip each side because there wasn't much hair if that makes sense, it was only the width of a bikini wax if you know what I mean and I patch tested her with Euroblonde and Cristal Oceon last week and it was fine (you might remember me asking about reactions at training, this was the girl I was on about). I think it's hard, like you say when it's friends but I have to get over it and not feel bad because a lot of my clients are friends. On a good note one of my tan clients has recommended me this morning on fb to one of her friends who is pregnant and wants a Brazilian for the birth. She's just booked, now I'm REALLY scared!!! anything I should do differently in pregnancy? X
See!!!! You're being recommended!

With pregnant clients, lift the head of the bed slightly and wax them the same. Don't press their tummy, just stretch the skin but if she's heavily pregnant you'll just have to support it as it'll already be stretched. I always say 'let me know if you need to move if your uncomfortable' ANSI not had one yet that has. They're only there for 15mins for a Braz.

Be brave, be confident. If clients feel that you're not, they'll run for the hills. X

See!!!! You're being recommended!

With pregnant clients, lift the head of the bed slightly and wax them the same. Don't press their tummy, just stretch the skin but if she's heavily pregnant you'll just have to support it as it'll already be stretched. I always say 'let me know if you need to move if your uncomfortable' ANSI not had one yet that has. They're only there for 15mins for a Braz.

Be brave, be confident. If clients feel that you're not, they'll run for the hills. X

Thanks Kim, you're a star. The girl who recommended me has only had a tan so she's unaware of the pain!!! :eek:

Thanks Kim, you're a star. The girl who recommended me has only had a tan so she's unaware of the pain!!! :eek:

Argh see I don't know you but I've read this thread, and can't believe your still doubting yourself.
It doesn't matter if she is just a tan client she obviously has faith in you as a therapist :D and you should have faith in yourself!
And as you trained with Kim you will no doubt be doing a fab job :)
Don't worry, think of the positives, make a great impression and you may have a new regular.
Good luck!

Laura xx

I keep seeing you mentioning about the pain, a client who comes for waxing knows its going to hurt! Stop worrying if your hurting people and get the job done there is nothing worse than an overcautious therapist who constantly asks if its painful or whos face screws up as they go to pull the wax strip! You've trained with the best just go for it you will be fine!

xxx

I keep seeing you mentioning about the pain, a client who comes for waxing knows its going to hurt! Stop worrying if your hurting people and get the job done there is nothing worse than an overcautious therapist who constantly asks if its painful or whos face screws up as they go to pull the wax strip! You've trained with the best just go for it you will be fine!

xxx

I must admit, I've stopped apologising!!!

Waxing can sometimes hurt………just like going to the dentist. Can you imagine if the dentist said sorry every five minutes and when you said you liked your new teeth he said 'Oh you sure? You're not just saying that are you?' lol

I'm sitting here giggling at my own joke. lol lol

Latest posts

Back