Discontinued CND polish problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
Finally Finally set up! had my first client for a manicure today. I use the Almond (once was solar) range, love it, so i thought id use the CND colours too. I had used them before once upon a time and couldnt remember why i disliked them slightly, i wanted TOMA but couldnt find a supplier, with time running out i just went with CND.

I have now used it 5 times, once with french, 2 dark colours, one mid colour and one of the hot pop colours. All 5 took ages to dry and i mean ages, longer than any other range i have used. I used 3 coats! I even used a considerable amount of pricey speed spray, and still not dry enough. Good job my client was my friend and we nattered for a while, still went home not dry enough in my eyes.

Im so disappointed, i should have trusted my instinct. :cry:

Who has the same problem, who likes the range, which range do you think is better?

Ive just ordered & used the new ones & I cant rate them highly enough....they are fantastic....quick drying, great brush & the effects are wow !!!

All ten nails painted & dried before the client left the salon ...

Why would you need 3 coats?? Ive never used 3 coats

Stickey or Toughen Up Base Coat

2 x Coats of Colour

1 x Effect

1 supershiny top coat (didnt really need it)....

The phase 2 colours seem to dry much quicker...

Last edited:
Strange cos I only use Creative enamels and never get this problem....I just use sticky base, 2 x thin layers of enamel and then super shiny...followed by a drop of oil.

in fact my clients often say as i am gently smoothing the oil over the nail with the pad of my finger "OMG is that dry already".....I always reply "its certainly touch dry at this point but not scrape against the wall dry"....:lol:

Could it be because you are putting the polish on too thickly? Also three coats of polish is quite alot in my opinion, maybe try just doing two and see if it dries quicker?

x x

The new ones are more expensive from what ive seen. I have only seen the ones that you get in a pair, a block colour and a sheer to create 3 colour combinations?

Really?? i cant believe it! I must admit, i am not using sticky base and the top coat. I cant believe that would make all that difference. I bought from ellisons. They are far from dry straight after the manicure. I darent even apply coats close together, with my friend today, luckily she was having a pedicure and an eyebrow wax. So i did manicure with base & 2 coats, then did ped and during applied 3rd and top coat. Seemed to take a very very long time. No such thing as a 15 min file and paint for me :-(

so what brand base and topcoat are you using....?

I would never apply 3 coats if it didnt need it. I actually have to. Its not a solid colour if i dont. I apply all 3 coats, especially the first thinly.

I have a thought. I used an older one my friend had and that was nice and gloupy, dark colour, took 2 coats, this is t he one i tried first and made me decide on that range because all was fine. The new ones (unused that is) seem to be much thinner, these are when i have problems with them. Maybe time makes them easier to use? as they naturally harden??

Thats 5 coats champagne? Thats what i am doing and dont really want to, i only want to use 4 coats max like you bagpuss. hmm...confusing.

Yes but the base & top are not pigmentated which takes the drying time i think....

Base & Tops dry really quickly.....Im not sure I need a top with the effects though as they are quite shiny..

I dont understand how the colours are needing 3 to cover......hmmm

Does this happen all the time?

Yes, like i said not on the one varnish i used that was older than the brand new ones.

Base coat & top are a brand called Beauty Secrets, from Sally's. The top coat is fantastic, real high shine and with every other polish a real quick dryer, never had a reason to change as it does the job perfectly well. Base coat, is not so much of a demanding role so i havnt really thought if its good or not, dries fairly quick too and seems to do the job?

Do you think its simply - I HAVE to have the cnd sticky basecoat?

Still dont like having to apply 3 coats though.

New or old, the result should be the same. I have never used more than 2 CND coats of colour and I always use Sticky base coat and Super Shiny or Air Dry top coat. I've been using only CND for 25 years.

It all seems very strange to me. :?: Very strange and not at all typical ... if it were, I think you will agree, no one would use the range!! Your instinct was quite wrong and I'm sure you realize that with such a popular brand of polish something is amiss here. CND polishes are highly pigmented and only need two THIN coats for perfect coverage (old or new).

In any case .. there is a whole new range of CND enamels that are superb as well but now 3 FREE. They are not actually more expensive as you get 3 colours for the price of 2 with the colour plus the effect. They are more expensive individually but in line with other high end ranges at a similar price. The new CND range cannot be bettered at any price or by any other brand.

I havent tried the creative polishes but have heard that they are good.

I would always use the top and base coats from the range of colours that I am using as they are made to go together, and it certainly looks more professional

I just love the new design brush....its like having my fav gel brush in my enamel bottle....bliss.

The brush is great....

I really do think they dry quicker than the old ones.......Is it my imagination??? lol

The brush is great....

I really do think they dry quicker than the old ones.......Is it my imagination??? lol

No ... it is a very fast drying formula now ... faster than any other I have tried and SO durable ... doesn't seem to wear off the ends like some.

Everything about the new range is new and improved and different.

While you are here Gigi...would you top coat over the effects?????

While you are here Gigi...would you top coat over the effects?????

I always use a top coat ... the Effects are not a top coat and I like the protection a top coat gives for long wearing of the colour.

Hi I have the CND colors and today I did a hot oil treatment and tidy and polish, I started with stickey base coat, one thin color then when all ten done go back to start and another thin coat then super shiney perfect nice and dry, I have 3 of the new colors and 4 effects and they dry so fast it untrue and love the brush, am waiting on the color wheel before I buy anymore but I will be buying more can't wait, I have some other varnishes which I acquired from another company and even they dry in a good time :)

There are a couple things I don't care for in the new CND line, but it is certainly not the drying time! It's one of it's best features. In fact, most of the colors only need one coat of the color, one of the effect-particularly the darker colors. Some of the lighter ones need two. Just about every one of my clients have commented on the quick drying time. And I'd imagine that 3 coats of any polish would take longer to dry...

Well i have bought a range of the old colours now, so i cant pay out for all the new colours, if i do that i may as well buy a new range.

CND is a top range i shouldnt be experiencing this. I tried 4 brands before choosing CND because the one bottle i tried was old and sold it too me, lovely thick, 2 coats all good. Then i buy the range and its like i have bought a really cheap one. I already bought a cheap range to start with and decided that was rubbish, so money lost already on varnish.

I can only think of 3 things:

* Not using the creative base and top coats.
* My room is fairly cold.
* They are new and are still very watery (as in my experience, the older ones get gloupy = better coverage, less coats)

HELP ME :cry:

Without seeing the polish and how it goes on, it's kind of hard to help. I personally prefer a really thin polish. As soon as it gets a bit thick, I pitch it. CND is made thinner so it lasts longer, but I've never had it not cover in two coats. Are you trying to get sheer colors to be opaque? 2 coats is how the color is supposed to be..if it's sheer, it's sheer. How is your polish technique? If streakiness is your problem and why you need two coats, maybe you need to re-evaluate your polishing. There are tutorials on here for that.

If it's none of that and the polish is truly rubbish (which is hard to believe if you bought from a reputable company), I'd call them and talk to them about the issue. If you bought a lot of the discontinued polishes off ebay or something because they were cheap, well all I can say is lesson learned..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back