Discontinued CND polish problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without seeing the polish and how it goes on, it's kind of hard to help. I personally prefer a really thin polish. As soon as it gets a bit thick, I pitch it. CND is made thinner so it lasts longer, but I've never had it not cover in two coats. Are you trying to get sheer colors to be opaque? 2 coats is how the color is supposed to be..if it's sheer, it's sheer. How is your polish technique? If streakiness is your problem and why you need two coats, maybe you need to re-evaluate your polishing. There are tutorials on here for that.

If it's none of that and the polish is truly rubbish (which is hard to believe if you bought from a reputable company), I'd call them and talk to them about the issue. If you bought a lot of the discontinued polishes off ebay or something because they were cheap, well all I can say is lesson learned..

All bought from a reputable suppliers. Im talking about the colours not the sheers. And i sware i cannot get away with 2 coats, all have to have 3. I am very experienced Beauty Therapist and i can polish. Ive never had problems like this with all the ranges and even some high street brands.

I will contact CND and the suppliers as it seems nobody else has these problems.

I have only used about 6 of the colours out of the lot but all 6 have taken 3 coats and are so runny. Maybe i can take pictures and post...

Gigi, Can I just ask? I read on here somewhere (can't remember where which is why I am asking here) that you use CND french white. Is this the actual name of the polish as I do not seem to see it in the CND brochure or am I being thick? :)

Just contacted the suppliers and Creative, waiting reply.

Think i will order sticky and speedy top coat, ill wait reply first though.

Who uses speedy top coat? any good? I do use speed spray already though.

Does anyone know if you can UV dry these polishes? i see there is a UV dry coat in my Ellisons mag, but funnily enough no description or price underneath? Does anyone use it?

CNDNAILEXP001.jpg

Note this is my boyfriends nail i quickly did just now. lol

CNDNAILEXP004-1.jpg

The left is an older and thicker one. That is with one coat.
The black is new and runny, one coat.
These are very similar in bottle both very dark.

I think im onto something with the consistency thing. Maybe i should leave the lids off for a day or two?

lol dont you just love the hairy fingers and polish look!

Out of interest, could you do the same with another brand of polish to give a comparison as this would presumably discount technique or room temp being the cause of the problem?

I have had the same thing with voodoo but that is the only colour I needed to use 3 coats.

Hope you get your answers x

I actually have the heating on fairly high tonight when i just did them.

Ive never had a problem with technique, i promise you it cant be that. Unless the techique is so completely different i would need training on this, which i doubt, its just another nail varnish.

I left him for 15 mins and gentlypressed my thumb on 2 of his nails i painted. One being the 3 coat black and as expected a big finger print easily done, i smoothed over and got rid, but thats not the point, that was not dry enough for a client to leave my salon and drive her car with. The other was two coats of red, still felt i could have done with 3, but got away with 2, i dont want to feel 80% happy i want to feel 100% happy with the look :-(

I use Creative enamels and have never found the need for more than 2 coats (apart from sometimes with Voodoo, as Sarah said) and don't have drying issues either!?!

Are you rolling the bottle between your palms prior to application?

I use Creative enamels and have never found the need for more than 2 coats (apart from sometimes with Voodoo, as Sarah said) and don't have drying issues either!?!

Are you rolling the bottle between your palms prior to application?

No, i am shaking it for about 10 secs.

No, i am shaking it for about 10 secs.
There's your first 'issue', CND enamel isn't designed to be shaken (that causes bubbles in application), it's thixotropic and needs to be rolled between your palms to 'thin' the enamel down to it's original viscosity (ie as it was when it left the manufacturer's site).

I'm not sure if that might contribute at all (possibly not) but definitely something you need to know.

Well seeing the purple one coat, it's definitely not your application or room temp that's the problem then!! Is the black more of a problem than your other CND colours as it could have been a rogue polish?

I'm with Sandi (ValencianNails) on this one. From the pictures it looks like the enamel isn't mixed right (by rolling in the palm) It looks way to thin.... Not how they should look...

Otherwise I cannot think of anything else, sorry you have these problems as CND enamels is the best I have ever tried:hug: Hope you solve this...

There's your first 'issue', CND enamel isn't designed to be shaken (that causes bubbles in application), it's thixotropic and needs to be rolled between your palms to 'thin' the enamel down to it's original viscosity (ie as it was when it left the manufacturer's site).

I'm not sure if that might contribute at all (possibly not) but definitely something you need to know.

Ok, well i actually only shook it up for the 1st time today, to see if that would help.

The problem seems to be that it is TOO thin already so i cant see why i would need to roll it at this stage of its life, maybe when its starts to naturally thicken.

Well seeing the purple one coat, it's definitely not your application or room temp that's the problem then!! Is the black more of a problem than your other CND colours as it could have been a rogue polish?

They are all not acceptable, apart from the sheers obviously, but the black is the worst but i have another darker colour, fedora, that is just as bad. The white (french tip) is perfect though. ???:confused:

Ok, well i actually only shook it up for the 1st time today, to see if that would help.

The problem seems to be that it is TOO thin already so i cant see why i would need to roll it at this stage of its life, maybe when its starts to naturally thicken.

The rolling (or shaking as you have done) is to mix the colour together - CND polishes are highly pigmented and pigments can rest at the bottom of the bottle. When rolled between the palms it mixes the formula up without causing airbubbles, this would make colour more.. well.. colourful. More even pigments= stronger colour. Resulting in 2 coats.

Maybe try that?????

The rolling (or shaking as you have done) is to mix the colour together - CND polishes are highly pigmented and pigments can rest at the bottom of the bottle. When rolled between the palms it mixes the formula up without causing airbubbles, this would make colour more.. well.. colourful. More even pigments= stronger colour. Resulting in 2 coats.

Maybe try that?????

Ok i will try that next :) thanks

Yes lots of rolling for the darker shades I find....

My first coat is always really thin & does not cover completely

2nd coat slightly thicker and complete coverage is achieved...

I do believe that alot of the high street polishes have many quick dry additives in them which is great for drying time but the pigment content is not so good, they do not last as long without chipping.....

I have only had my new CNDs for a week & i have cleared the shelves of the old...I really believe that the new ones dry soooo much quicker ...

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back