Discount salon/MMA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are of course correct flower we have no way of knowing what the products are, what we do know is they are blinking horrible things to get off most of the time though, ;) x

what we do know is they are blinking horrible things to get off most of the time though, ;) x

This, of course, I definitely do agree with.....!!

Sent from my HTC Sensation using SalonGeek

I personally would never work on MMA acrylic so no infills or rebalance on them with me, I usually get them soaked off quite quick, by putting acetone bowls in hot water and taking layer off dissolved acrylic a bit by bit every 10-15 mins x

I used to think like that, until discovering that one of my clients had punctures right through her nail plate into the nail bed...... Now I let sleeping dogs lie and let it grow out.

I am only just starting out, I have seen MMA nails on the lady in the post office and a few girls from the school, or at least I think it's MMA. It looks different it's like an opaque coloure and it's very thick they have also told me where they have there nails done which leads me to believe it's MMA. To tell you the truth if somebody comes to me with these nails I think I would be terrified to deal with them at first. This stuff sounds horrendous.xx

Colour and thickness is not an indicator. Cheap product or product that hasn't been properly applied can look just as horrendous. I've seen MMA that actually looked decent.

Thank you for your post, flower! IMHO, you have hit the nail on the head. I wish we could archive the term NSS...I personally think it gives a false impression of salons.

Discount salons and NSS are NOT one in the same.

I agree that Discount, NSS and MMA don't always neccessarily go in hand.

If you ever soaked off mma acrylics you would have notice how differently is it coming off x

DITTO! There is a DISTINCT difference between soaking off cheap/discount acrylic and MMA. And that difference is HUGE.
I have filed & soaked cheap acrylic, and I've filed & soaked MMA.

I've smelled MMA whilst filing acrylic from an NSS/discount salon. The only time I have EVER filed acrylic that had a smell in the DUST was from an NSS set of nails.
And yes, it WAS MMA and it was an NSS as I've seen the results and heard the tales and I've passed by their shops..... I can make this statement in full confidence that I know of what I speak.

I very recently had the unfortunate experience of smelling MMA in liquid form, monomer.
An uneducated tech brought it to a VivCat course where Viv Simmonds loudly squawked "I smell dodgey monomer" as she walked about looking for it. When she found it, she promptly removed it from the tech's table, provided her with proper monomer and educated her.

I decided I wanted a closer inspection.
LET ME TELL YOU... that stuff is the worst thing I've smelt in my life:!:
Quality monomer smells like roses and vanilla in comparison!!!
I was very nearly ill from it. Ask Dee, I think my eyes bugged out of my head like they do in cartoons:eek: and I coughed and spluttered.

After smelling that, I now know for FACT that is what I smelled at the NSS in my shopping center, and smelled again as I passed by it today. And THAT is the smell in the dust from the NSS nails I've filed.

So yes, you can know. It's not a smell that you forget.

Latest posts

Back