Disillusioned with the state of the Nail Industry? - here's one for us ALL to debate!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest i haven't even started my training properly yet but this thread has certainly made me think about a few things.

I thought that when i started out i would need to be cheap to attract people, but now i'm thinking no when i am ready to be unleashed on the public i am going to charge what i am worth.

I have also just sat and worked out the profit of doing a set of nails if your mobile and its quite scary stuff! All the hidden extras like doing training for example if your training cost you £500 and you have worked on 100 paying clients thats £5 per client straight out of your profit going on what you spent on your training. And most have probably spent more than that and worked on less clients

Lots to think about now for me

To be honest i haven't even started my training properly yet but this thread has certainly made me think about a few things.

I thought that when i started out i would need to be cheap to attract people, but now i'm thinking no when i am ready to be unleashed on the public i am going to charge what i am worth.

I have also just sat and worked out the profit of doing a set of nails if your mobile and its quite scary stuff! All the hidden extras like doing training for example if your training cost you £500 and you have worked on 100 paying clients thats £5 per client straight out of your profit going on what you spent on your training. And most have probably spent more than that and worked on less clients

Lots to think about now for me

As Henry Higgins said to Eliza Dolittle

By jove I think she's got it!!!!

and dances round the room singing the Rain in Spain!!!

Welcome to the world of net profit hun! Frightening isn't it?!!!!

OMG:eek:

I am that bored housewife! Well at first at least! But now I have such a passion that I fall asleep thinking of nails!

I did my 3 day course, did a stint in a salon, practiced on anyone who sat still long enough and read virtually every post on here and still did not have the confidence to say I can do nails. I'm not saying my training was bad or my tutor for that matter, but I have recently had a one 2 one day with a famous geek who has helped so much, its unbelievable! And I know I'll be booking up plenty more. Now I'm gagging at the bit to get a client! Cant wait to learn more! Just one regular client will do for now! Just to prove to myself that I CAN do nails! Please!

BUT it is so hard where I am as I'm drowning in NSS. The only decent salon I knew of has just shut down before xmas. How do we persuade people that they should come to us? I've tried "I wont damage your nails...these will break so yours dont...these are soaked off easily in 30 mins...your nails will be no different when these are removed...you pay for what you get etc, etc"
Every set I have done has been on someone wanting them for an event and never planned to return for infils. Even been told "that if I wanted them to last I'd go to xxxxxx as they dont come off!"

I think that there should definately be some form of more regulated training. I went on my course knowing nothing about nails and 3 days later I was a nail tech! I hadn't even done a natural nail course which I find bizarre. Yes, a basic nail anatomy section was taught but surely I should know more beforehand?

Sassy, you'll get no debate from me I'm afraid, everything you have written is so correct.

Tracey I know you are swamped with them in Pompey and it's not easy, and some of those places have been established for a long time. But when you do your advertising make it up market, aim it at those people who are over 40 who want to be pampered and nurtured. That's the market I aim at, my clients would never step foot in an NSS because they don't like that image. Nearly all my clients have personalised plates on their cars, their children are grown up, hubby and her are both working. Don't aim for the NSS type client.

It's hard but not impossible, but it's all about demographics ... if we all wanted cheap, we'd all cut our own hair, drive a Kia and shop in Aldi .. but we don't! Look at the car ads, the main brands like Ford and Vauxhall aim at a very different demographic to Jaguar - their ads are so much classier because they are aiming at a totally different market. Can you see where I am coming from?

Tracey I know you are swamped with them in Pompey and it's not easy, and some of those places have been established for a long time. But when you do your advertising make it up market, aim it at those people who are over 40 who want to be pampered and nurtured. That's the market I aim at, my clients would never step foot in an NSS because they don't like that image. Nearly all my clients have personalised plates on their cars, their children are grown up, hubby and her are both working. Don't aim for the NSS type client.

It's hard but not impossible, but it's all about demographics ... if we all wanted cheap, we'd all cut our own hair, drive a Kia and shop in Aldi .. but we don't! Look at the car ads, the main brands like Ford and Vauxhall aim at a very different demographic to Jaguar - their ads are so much classier because they are aiming at a totally different market. Can you see where I am coming from?

I completely agree with you. Most of my clients are the same. Working business women who can afford to pamper themselves.

I don't want to attract people who want a 'set of cheap nails'. Thats not what I'm about. My clients respect me and the nails treatments that I give them. In turn, they respect their nails and look after them. That the client I want.

Thanks Sassy:hug: Invaluable advice as always, which I will definately be using.

I am a determined little so and so, so there's no way I'm giving in just yet but it is hard when you are first starting out. And they definately dont prepare you for that on your nail course lol.

P.S. Does that mean I should ask hubby for a jag to drive around in?:wink2:

I think what it comes down to is if people are only intersted in price not quality then I dont want them as a client. 1 they are not going to be long term, because if price is driving them most likely they CANT afford it. 2 someone who wants quaility is going to be more quality, they will take care of their nails and be sure not to waste your time.

I would also like to say on the point of education that, (I dont want to offend anyone) but I do think that tech look for the cheapest products, they dont do thier homework. I know of a product that is produced in the basement of someones house. There is not regulations or standards for just any joe blow off the street to invent thier own product. That is why as techs we must do our homework. Do you know what the chemical makeup of you product is? Do you know what long term effects it can have on someones nails? Did you know that People can get arthritis and other joint problems in their hands because of the product you choose? I dont think alot of techs realize these things.
In the nail industry just remember "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!" as a client and as a tech.

Thanks for listening. Let me know what you think....:lol:

where do you live that all was required was 3 days?

It's not so much the finished look, more the way the look is achieved.

ie some companies teach and encourage you to use a 100 grit on the natural nail... :eek:
other companies teach you to use a 240 grit... and so on...

For it to work properly in the UK the companies would all need to get together, maybe one spokesperson from each company, sit down and sort out a general guideline that is agreed upon by all of them, if there isn't an agreement then it wouldn't work.

I wouldn't use a 100 grit file on the skirting boards in the salon - never mind a natural nail! :eek:

I was thinking the reasons why this happenes.

I think that this confusing comes from the newbies and between the professionals. The newbies and the proffesional dont have the same quality of work, so if newbies take the same price as proffesinals but with less quality it can put down them reputations(and if its small town it will be like stamp for long time), thats why they charge less. I believe this reason is nomber one. I think the right is when the newbies becomes or close to be proffesinals, they have to charge as proffesionals.

Second reason i think is the area we live. I will give you example, at the small town i was live, before start to work i learnt all the prices that was there, 7-10eu for man and 8-15eu for ped, 25-30eu for enhancements and heard that almost noone will give 15eu for ped:eek:. I was in shock with this prices knewing that 250km far (Athens) they take 15eu for man. and 20eu for ped and 35+eu for enhancements. I make my price and i said if you want you will have my service with my prices if not go to the others. Here want to say that these 7, 8 eu was taken from proffesionals doing this job years without updating of knowleges, and the worst was they did them work with less quality , i think because of them prices. They lost a lot of clients, who came to me.

I dont believe that if we know we are proffesionals we will charge less only for find new clients, because the proffesionals respect them skills and knowledges and the long way they become at this level, atherwise they are not proffesionals.

For me there are two kinds of clients, client who remember they have nails "one time of the year" and clients that they make them nails regulary. First clients will choose 90% the cheapest service, but second will search for quality first and second for price.

I apologyze for my English.

where do you live that all was required was 3 days?

As Sassy said in her opening post - this is based on the UK market as that is where she lives.

Even though I drive a sensible family car and shop in Aldi (well Sainsburys and Marksys too!!) - I know for certain I couldnt possibly afford to have my nails done (even though this is what I do for my living) so sometimes I tend to think that my client must not be able to afford nails either. Which is why I am afraid to charge what I am worth.

I know it makes sense to do less nails for more money than more nails at less money, but I feel afraid of upsetting my regulars if I hike up my prices.

But, I also know if I won the lottery or my hubby earned loads of money, I certainly wouldnt be going to those awful nail bars. I would be looking for a beautiful friendly salon where I was treat like a friend and the staff were experienced and knowledgeble.

Cost wouldnt even be an issue.

Sorry! That is just kind of scary. I did about 4 months worth of full time schooling. I know some people who have to do 6-8 Months of schooling, and pay 6,000 plus for training. Do you have to be Proffesionally licensed in the UK...

With regards to business plans etc I thought it was an excellent idea,(and I did this myself) to go on a course with Business link before even leaving the salon to set up as mobile.

Just think, a 5 day course for absolutely nothing, funded by the government. So I snapped up the opportunity. After covering aspects such as finance, marketing, tax returns, profit and loss etc, you were left with enough information to set up a business plan to present to a bank manager, which Business link would help with at the end of the course!

In fact it took me a few days to go through the information that I'd gathered, to work out......is this business idea viable?

Yes! Was the answer..........so off I went.

I found that as well as the obvious training you need as a nail tech it is so important to do business courses (in fact should be a must) for their business to be successful.

If I could get something like this FOR FREE!........no one has any excuses.

OK .......... I'm done!:)

I still consider myself a newbie after only qualifying 14 months ago (have been "doing" nails for longer but not qualified until then).

At the moment I have some regulars who have all come to me by word of mouth and they have stayed with me. So perhaps even though I am self employed, but not full time, it would seem to some, that I am a hobbyist. However, before I jump in with both feet full time, I want to improve my skills and my confidence (I am not a confident person at all - in any area of my life!)

There is one lady in our area whom I aspire to be as good as and as soon as I am nearly there I will be doing a full blown advertising campaign! (Not advertised at all yet) This lady has been established for as long as I can remember - how will I compete against her? Well I don't intend to take her clients but to get my own clients by the fantastic service I provide, the products I use and hopefully a fab reputation.

We all know that some people will always want something for nothing or on the cheap BUT I am not prepared to do that - I know that when people come to me they will stay with me and I charge the going price for my area, not a penny cheaper at all.

OK, so these NSS techs (the majority) I believe will eventually fizzle out! Why? because they do not have the passion for what they do - they probably thought they could make it rich, quick, by doing nails.

Saying that you will always have the Salisbury's and the Netto type of comparison (BTW I have bought food from Netto - I'm not a snob and milk is milk and brand named products are the same whether from one or the other shop) where some some customers will always look for the best they can but others will always go for the cheaper alternative.

In the main, I think the NSS MMA type of salons will probably serve the younger generations who do not have as much disposable income as the older client - so it is really important that we target the right clientele - I do not believe that a young girl with a part time job would always go to a top notch salon (in the future maybe) as she will only be able to afford a NNS and as a young person will always be wanting to be in and out at the speed of lightening - may be wrong but do you see what I mean?

IMHO it is far more than the finished enhancements that counts, it is the whole service provided to them from the moment they walk through the door! If you do not "take care" of your clients and make them feel special, interesting, important then they will not return - for many the experience of a nail or beauty treatment is about a special treat for them. If it doesn't feel like a relaxing treatment then they will not return!

So after all that waffling I will just summarise

We need passion,
We need belief in ourselves,
Top notch products,
Continual training - updating our skills
We need to know our target base,
We need to ensure we do not skimp on any part of the treatment,
Make sure that our clients are informed of EVERYTHING they need to know upfront - prices timings what the treatment entails,

Most importantly be true to ourselves - we all in the main on this site sing from the same hymn sheet, it is not often that any of us disagree how we should sanitise, prep the nail etc.

Therefore by ALL OF US adhering to standards which we know are the right thing to implement and do, (despite the fact it is not written in stone), then we WILL have an Industry Standard of sorts. One which we can show works and then we can put it forward to those people who need to write it in stone! The only problem with this, is that it won't happen over night and also why we need to ensure that we follow those standards which we know are right - right now!

OMG I could talk the hind leg off a lame horse - sorry xxxx

Do you have to be Proffesionally licensed in the UK...

Only in a few Boroughs in London, otherwise you could actually be a nail tech with no training at all - you couldn't get product and treatment liability insurance, but there is no legislation to state you need it ... but you'd be mad not to!

For me there are two kinds of clients, client who remember they have nails "one time of the year" and clients that they make them nails regulary. First clients will choose 90% the cheapest service, but second will search for quality first and second for price.

I apologyze for my English.

well as long as I don't have to reply in Greek cos then all I can say Is Ouzo and taramasalata and it's not really going to help here!!!

Dessi you are right and I know from our recent pm's that this is an area that upsets you too, but yes we need to aim for the client who wants quality and is willing to pay for it ... but in return we have to meet the expectations of the client.

im still a newbie and training and im considering mobile later. I'm an accountant at the moment and training in my spare time to do this as its something i really love and want to do. I want to do it well and not half heartedly.
Brilliant topic by the way. Ive been working on what prices to charge and ive taken all on board that has been said here and i agree i dont want to be the cheapest. I live in a relatively poorish town but having said plenty of people can afford gym membership, holidays, 4 x 4 cars and so on so im sure there will be people prepared to pay for good quality work.

While training it hard to know your value and i can't comment yet as im only just starting enhancements etc and friends and family are all offfering their hands as practice and they will want to continue at free or reduced prices but that cant and wont continue.

Great point raised here and i hope all take on board whats been said. training, prices , professionalism etc
poppy

S

We need passion,
We need belief in ourselves,
Top notch products,
Continual training - updating our skills
We need to know our target base,
We need to ensure we do not skimp on any part of the treatment,
Make sure that our clients are informed of EVERYTHING they need to know upfront - prices timings what the treatment entails,

I fully agree, but the main one I am going to pick up on is BELIEF IN OURSELVES! How often have we seen people post fab work on here? Then we find that they are still charging model rates because they don't think they are good enough. Well all i can say is if you go and have your nails done by someone who charges the going salon rate of £40-50 you will probably have your eyes opened to the world!

Chances are they will cut corners, and the end product will probably not be as good as yours. Go on do it and all of a sudden you will find that self belief and realise that a lot of the competition ain't all that! I did it early on in my self employed career and my gob was truly smacked, and I'm not the best tech in the world by any means, but I know my worth!

I fully agree, but the main one I am going to pick up on is BELIEF IN OURSELVES! How often have we seen people post fab work on here? Then we find that they are still charging model rates because they don't think they are good enough. Well all i can say is if you go and have your nails done by someone who charges the going salon rate of £40-50 you will probably have your eyes opened to the world!

Chances are they will cut corners, and the end product will probably not be as good as yours. Go on do it and all of a sudden you will find that self belief and realise that a lot of the competition ain't all that! I did it early on in my self employed career and my gob was truly smacked, and I'm not the best tech in the world by any means, but I know my worth!
Funnily enough I agree with you Sassy - if you believe in yourself then it does wonders for not only yourself, but also gives confidence to your client, in return the client responds confidently and positively to you as well. I have been shocked by some of the nails which have been enhanced by techs, I can remember one tech saying to me that I was better than her and she had loads more qualifications than me - she runs her own salon but does not update her skills:eek:

Back