Dismissing an Employee - trouble ahead

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say it isn't working out or the position is now redundant .. you don't need them etc. Give them 2 weeks pay and say ta ta. Better than a sacking to make them redundant.
Hi Geeg,

Just thought I'd mention something on the above statement.

When you make someone redundant, that means that position is no longer available, viable etc. I.e. that position no longer exists and that's why you need to get rid of the person.

I worked for a very large company a few years ago that was going through quite a big redundancy period and loads of people were made redundant.

A specific role was made redundant during this process, but about 3 months later, a new person was employed fill the "redundant position" i.e. to do the exact same job.

The ex employee found out about this and took the company to court. Needless to say, the ex employee won the case.

I'm no expert when it comes to employment law, but I do think professional advice needs to be obtained if you're not sure what to do.

Some things can come back and bite you on the bum if you get it wrong.

M.

You are correct but in a small salon, it is easy to invent a new job title and slightly change the job description.

So sorry for this situation. My mum always said "I'm not fighting your battles!" and would never get involved with anything - this poor girls' mum interfering, how embarassing for her! Let us know how you get on.

You are correct but in a small salon, it is easy to invent a new job title and slightly change the job description.

I would have thought that would be easy in a bigger commercial environment, but in a salon situation, how many jobs can be re-described without making it sound untoward.

If you have got rid of say a nail tech, but still need someone to apply nail extensions, then that position has not been made redundant, however you want to describe the job.

To prevent further comeback with ex employees its far better to tell them they aren't working out then make a big hole for yourself by saying the position has become redundant.

Strictly speaking, if someone has been with you less than 1 year you don't need to give reasons for the dismissal but just like being dumped from a boy/girlfriend it gives you more a sense of 'closure' if you know the reasons why.

I would have thought that would be easy in a bigger commercial environment, but in a salon situation, how many jobs can be re-described without making it sound untoward.

If you have got rid of say a nail tech, but still need someone to apply nail extensions, then that position has not been made redundant, however you want to describe the job.

To prevent further comeback with ex employees its far better to tell them they aren't working out then make a big hole for yourself by saying the position has become redundant.

Strictly speaking, if someone has been with you less than 1 year you don't need to give reasons for the dismissal but just like being dumped from a boy/girlfriend it gives you more a sense of 'closure' if you know the reasons why.

I agree with you on this completely.

Marlise

Well you have 2 scenarios ... do what is right for you ... use your imagination. Every situation is different.

Hi all
girl in question has phoned me and apologised for being such a cow !
she has also got an interview tomorow at another salon and asked me for a reference, I of course have said no because I couldn't lie and say she is a good person and she said she understood !

Oh Debi ... youare getting bold!! Well done. I once also had to tell someone who had been stealing from me that i would be happy to write her a refrence butit would be a hostile one! She declined my offer. The cheek after stealing to ask for a reference. Unreal.

Latest posts

Back