Disposing of wax strips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
Just thought id share some information with you regarding the disposal of wax strips, that I obtained from the local councils health & safety department. The guy I spoke with told me that any wax strips which have been contaminated with blood spots should be disposed of as clinical waste.

Just wondered how many salons actually do this ?

hello
some councils say it doesn't matter if it is a little bit - well blood is blood isn't it (it shouldn't matter how much ,should it??!!)
I know that where i work (and salons around the area) don't do this.
This is a good thread, I am interested in the replies (to see how many salons actually do dispose of contaminated waxing strips as clinical waste)

Thanks Bronni, I forgot to mention that the guy i spoke to did say that each council has different rules.

I had a real hard time finding a place to get the special yellow sacks & dispose of the waste ! Finally came to an arrangement with biffa household waste disposal, they agreed that as it would only be a very small amount of wax strips affected they will collect it for me :)

The sacks cost £1 each & collection is free.

Thanks Bronni, I forgot to mention that the guy i spoke to did say that each council has different rules.

I had a real hard time finding a place to get the special yellow sacks & dispose of the waste ! Finally came to an arrangement with biffa household waste disposal, they agreed that as it would only be a very small amount of wax strips affected they will collect it for me :)

The sacks cost £1 each & collection is free.

I don't understand this. If I cut my hand at home and it bled profusely I could be putting a lot of bloodstained tissue in the refuse. There are a lot of people dispose of sanitary towels etc in their refuse.
How is this different ? Is it just because you are in commercial premises?
I would be very interested to know the answer if anyone knows.

I don't understand this. If I cut my hand at home and it bled profusely I could be putting a lot of bloodstained tissue in the refuse. There are a lot of people dispose of sanitary towels etc in their refuse.

Where I did my waxing training the guy from the council said to my tutor that as long as there was no more blood than from a nose bleed then it would be okay to place in normal rubbish. Common sense does prevail sometimes - other council's are just blooming jobsworths!

Its because its commercial premises.

I asked virtually the same question as im also mobile & wondered how it would affect me when im in other peoples homes !

All of the salons in the area are being inspected by the council on request of HSE (not sure if its a nationwide thing) so I wanted to make sure I was doing everything by the book. He didn't say I must treat it as clinical waste or risk being shut down ! but he did reccomend that i follow that procedure.

Interesting to know what everyone eles does or if its a requirement of your council ??

I see, I had visions of having to lay my rubbish out for inspection before they took it away:o:o:o

I see, I had visions of having to lay my rubbish out for inspection before they took it away:o:o:o

LOL The way things are going at the moment it wouldn't suprise me if they did !

The last salon that I worked in we had 2 bins,one yellow(clinical waste) and the other normal.We had a company come and take the yellow sacks away.

LOL The way things are going at the moment it wouldn't suprise me if they did !

We have jobsworths from the council on our road go into every shop wheather it be a store or a salon and check {have a good look} to see where we store our rubbish.

I have had to buy see through plastic bags £66.00 for 50 bags and the council collect them.
I pay £500.00 per month council tax for my salon but I am not allowed to take my own waste to the local tip, or to take it home with me and its not even contaminated waste .
We have little waste paper bins dotted around the road by bus stops ect and when the men come to empty the bins they sometimes have a look through it to check if the local shops have put anything in there.

So you really can't be surprised anymore.

BIG BROTHER IS WATHCHING YOU LOL:irked:

RUBY

Oh and I also have the clinical waste bag for contaminated wax strips {which I can understand having to have}

Ruby

The last salon that I worked in we had 2 bins,one yellow(clinical waste) and the other normal.We had a company come and take the yellow sacks away.

Oh and I also have the clinical waste bag for contaminated wax strips {which I can understand having to have}

Ruby

So was this a requirement of your local council ? I was told that its not illegal or anything to throw them away with everything else but it is 'advisable' to treat them as clinical waste.

Yes it is a requirement of the council

Ruby

Im assuming it was required by the council of the other salon I worked in because my boss would not have parted with her cash unless she absolutely had to.

I know this is from way back in 2007, but I have recently been told by the council, even as a mobile therapist I have to have the clinical waste bags for waxing waste and orange waste bags for general waste, as I should not be getting rid of business waste in domestic bins. I am about to start working from home and have been told that the same applies.

I know this is from way back in 2007, but I have recently been told by the council, even as a mobile therapist I have to have the clinical waste bags for waxing waste and orange waste bags for general waste, as I should not be getting rid of business waste in domestic bins. I am about to start working from home and have been told that the same applies.

Welsh Heart,

I know this was last year, but how did you go about finding out about al this information...

Iv never heard or known about it before, but have come accross it recently and cant seem to find a company or requirement

Latest posts

Back