Do I need Calgel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkthistle

Reaction score
A salon nearby closed recently and clients from there are asking me for Calgel as thats what was offered at the other salon... i have Shellac and Gelish and to be honest although one of my girls is Calgel trained when ive asked before about stocking it theyve been quite rude, wanting a letter from her previous employer although ive tried to explain she was self employed!

They have also stipulated crazy conversion training prices and minimum orders of hundreds of pounds....

What would you do?

Offer them a special discount on the services you do offer to try- I'm sure adding another option won't be necessary then?!

I agree with above post -

Introduce them to shellac ... !!! ... Why not give them a introductory offer to entice them to try it rather than them find another salon which does calgel - you may convert them to you.

Say you respect that they liked their Cal gel but that they will love Shellac and whatever you have to offer. and if they don't then they always have the option to find a salon that uses Cal Gel. You certainly do not need calgel with the choices you have.

Before I trained in beauty I had Calgel and the biggest draw was the shine, which you definitely get with Shellac! I think an offer is a great idea, combined with showing them your own nails done with Shellac, I don't see how they couldn't be willing to swap. Sometimes I think they need to see the results, as many clients never listen when you just explain.

I do calgel, and even though I was gel trained I had to do a course with calgel, but was worth every penny for the kit, calgel is slightly different from gelish and shellac (i also do gelish) I do more calgel if im honest x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Is calgel thicker? Is it more like a gel overlay than shellac say? Any I've seen there's been a real re growth..

Cal gel is a gel overlay, like Bio sculpture. You can extend, add strength to weak nails etc. Yes it is thicker than a power/gel polish. Xx

I use Calgel and I love it.. It's ideal for weak/damaged nails as it is strong, long lasting and nourishes nails while protecting them.. It's as easy to remove as Shellac/Gelish.. As said above u can extend etc with it.. Training and customer service is fab..xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hi
I have spent the evening soaking my gels off, calgel IZ Gel, I have not used if before only the normal calgel gel, but it has taken me ages, more like a hard gel than a soak off gel. I filed the tops first and then soaked using calaway in foils, then even tried acetone and still bits left on my nails, Its not as easy and quick as the normal gel, anyone have any suggestions on how I can do them quicker?, am I not doing something? been a while since I have done them as had a break for a while, also its a quite while till I have my refresher day as that's in July.

I use Calgel from South Africa , that's the problem when other suppliers add to the range and mix products which is essentially what Isabelle Hammond has done by manuafacturing her own colours and labels but if you actually stick to original Calgel it soaks off within 10minutes maximum. Longer then that and you have used either acrylic dip or mixed product and it's as bad as a set of acrylic to remove.

Sorry rant over. X

Beauty at your finger tips!

I trained with Calgel...What I do know is, if you want to stock up, you may have to ask the trained person to contact them and buy the stock themselves. They wont let you buy on their behalf.
Having said that...Heres my experience with it.
I love Calgel - not all of the colours as I think for the little pots they are quite pricey. But I definitely love the clear gel. Here's why...
Buy CND pigments, or any other Mica Pigments, and few glitters and mix them. Their clear gel is so versatile, there is no end to it - sculpting, building, structure, repair, on its own, with a pigment, over the top, underneath, etc etc etc.

As a mobile nail tech, I currently offer OPI Axxium Soak Off (in various colours - very popular with my older clients and my busy handed ones), Artistic Colour Gloss (just like Gelish, made by the same people, but it lasts longer than Gelish) and LeChat Perfect Match and Nobility (this is more like Shellac, its a hybrid solution).
Calgel I use for rockstar nails, repairs, sculpting, everything I mentioned above...and I can use it under the other systems I use or on top for added protection.

A salon nearby closed recently and clients from there are asking me for Calgel as thats what was offered at the other salon... i have Shellac and Gelish and to be honest although one of my girls is Calgel trained when ive asked before about stocking it theyve been quite rude, wanting a letter from her previous employer although ive tried to explain she was self employed!

They have also stipulated crazy conversion training prices and minimum orders of hundreds of pounds....

What would you do?

Hi Pinkthistle!

We have very competitive conversion rates when converting from a true gel system to Calgel. Due to its unique nature, we really feel training enables users to make the most of the Calgel system and helps to protect the brand's reputation, as well as the technicians.

We also have no minimum order quantities. We find this very restrictive, especially for smaller businesses or mobile technicians who make need to make small, last minute orders and so we have never required a minimum order amount.

The only time we ask for a letter from a previous employer, is when they have paid for the technicians training. We do this as it help to protect the employer who has invested in training for a new tech. We have no problem offering them their own account once they leave if the account holder has authorised the account. This has always been our policy as we like to offer protection for account holders, especially seeing they have invested money with us. Anyone who has paid for their own training is available to have their own account with no restrictions.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me directly or give me a call on 0845 230 1087.

Regards,

Nicola

Hi
I have spent the evening soaking my gels off, calgel IZ Gel, I have not used if before only the normal calgel gel, but it has taken me ages, more like a hard gel than a soak off gel. I filed the tops first and then soaked using calaway in foils, then even tried acetone and still bits left on my nails, Its not as easy and quick as the normal gel, anyone have any suggestions on how I can do them quicker?, am I not doing something? been a while since I have done them as had a break for a while, also its a quite while till I have my refresher day as that's in July.

Hi SoniaMarie,

IZ Gel is a different gel to Calgel and is not sold under the Calgel brand. It is a harder wearing gel, and while it has a similar nature to Calgel, it's a lot more adhesive and so it takes longer to soak off. We always advise allowing longer time for soak off, and recommend using heated mitts or a heated beanbag placed on top of the nails onced they are wrapped for a soak off. This considerable quickens the soak-off process.

If you'd like to go over IZ gel in a bit more detail, I am happy to give you a call and discuss things ahead of your refresher! Please send me a message or give me a call at the office on 0845 230 1087.

Regards,

Nicola

Hi Pinkthistle!

We have very competitive conversion rates when converting from a true gel system to Calgel. Due to its unique nature, we really feel training enables users to make the most of the Calgel system and helps to protect the brand's reputation, as well as the technicians.

We also have no minimum order quantities. We find this very restrictive, especially for smaller businesses or mobile technicians who make need to make small, last minute orders and so we have never required a minimum order amount.

The only time we ask for a letter from a previous employer, is when they have paid for the technicians training. We do this as it help to protect the employer who has invested in training for a new tech. We have no problem offering them their own account once they leave if the account holder has authorised the account. This has always been our policy as we like to offer protection for account holders, especially seeing they have invested money with us. Anyone who has paid for their own training is available to have their own account with no restrictions.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me directly or give me a call on 0845 230 1087.

Regards,

Nicola

Thanks...when i asked it was at a busy trade show...maybe who i spoke to was a bit frazzled lol

I use Calgel from South Africa , that's the problem when other suppliers add to the range and mix products which is essentially what Isabelle Hammond has done by manuafacturing her own colours and labels but if you actually stick to original Calgel it soaks off within 10minutes maximum. Longer then that and you have used either acrylic dip or mixed product and it's as bad as a set of acrylic to remove.

Sorry rant over. X

When I order my colours I'm finding the gels in the tiny black pots tend to lift and are more runny ect?? The ones in the white pots with the black kids are so so so much better, easier to use and last longer!! Is this the reason then one is made in South Africa and the other here?? I do love iz gel though doesn't yellow and is great for holidays x

Sorry rant over. X

Could you explain what you mean please. I get mine from Isabelle Hammond as the UK supplier is there another supplier..how do you get yours directly from SA x

Hi SoniaMarie,

IZ Gel is a different gel to Calgel and is not sold under the Calgel brand. It is a harder wearing gel, and while it has a similar nature to Calgel, it's a lot more adhesive and so it takes longer to soak off. We always advise allowing longer time for soak off, and recommend using heated mitts or a heated beanbag placed on top of the nails onced they are wrapped for a soak off. This considerable quickens the soak-off process.

If you'd like to go over IZ gel in a bit more detail, I am happy to give you a call and discuss things ahead of your refresher! Please send me a message or give me a call at the office on 0845 230 1087.

Regards,

Nicola

Thankyou Nicola, I did email the Luton office and they said try heated mitts, which I will try over the weekend when I take mine off, just dont want to damage my nails in anyway, must be honest think I may stick with the normal gel next time, but cant afford to stock up on it till I use some of this one up and as I am not advertising just yet may take some time as have to do more practicing as a bit out of touch at the moment, so only going to offer overlays rather than extensions till I am a bit more confident. if I have problems over the weekend i will ring you after the bank holiday.

Sorry rant over. X

Could you explain what you mean please. I get mine from Isabelle Hammond as the UK supplier is there another supplier..how do you get yours directly from SA x

I live In South Africa now.
I don't want to create a rift between iz Hammond and say anything that will discredit her as a stockist. She has the license to train and sell Calgel in uk and Europe. And manufactures her own colours under her own label. So thank you Nicola I stand corrected with regards to this point. Just looking at the Instagram pics etc it seems that she markets them as a all in one system. So my apologies.

The next question is why does your gel lift if it comes in black pots? Well mine doesn't and has only lifted with incorrect prep and application, been using this brand over 10 years professionally and bought over a salon initially when I came into the market and bought her old stock which was Calgel and those pots are over 15 years old and still work they still cure and still last just as long. So perhaps you might be using iz Hammond gel and not actual Calgel? Just check with your stockist.

I have worked with loads of products but personally find Calgel the best with regards to a soft gel.

I don't dis approve of gelish or shellac they both lovely products I just prefer Nsi pro polish. It's a personal choice.

Getting back to the original question by the start oif thread. I think which ever way you choose also think why did the other salon close down ? What other treatments did she offer?
Good luck. X

When I order my colours I'm finding the gels in the tiny black pots tend to lift and are more runny ect?? The ones in the white pots with the black kids are so so so much better, easier to use and last longer!! Is this the reason then one is made in South Africa and the other here?? I do love iz gel though doesn't yellow and is great for holidays x

Hi Donna,

Very glad to hear your positive feedback. We've tried to improve the consistency and quality of the gels. We wanted to cut down on manufacturing and shipping time to help keep gel levels high, and reduce waiting time between out of stocks. For this reason, over last 18 months we slowly been bringing colouring of the South African gels to the UK, alongside the 900 range which are exclusively made in the UK, these are sold in the Izabelle Hammon Ltd pots, which are the white pots with the black lids. The base gel is the same, we've just got more control over colouring and new collections now. This was all done based on feedback from our customers.

We would never want to alter the original Calgel, and so introduced IZ Gel as an alternative, we wanted to offer a crystal clear gel! Glad to hear you're loving it though- it's doing so well!

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Nicola

Latest posts

Back