Do nails on yourself. How ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newintown

Reaction score
Hi Geeks.
I need help i'm going to a wedding in Ireland this weekend and I would like to do a set of L&P nails on myself but I strugel.
As reading through threads on here and looking at the pics, lots of you do your own nails and they are fab and wondered if anyone could offer me some tips/advice, as i know iwill lose my rag take them all off and go to Ireland with recked nails. :cry:

Clare

If you struggle to put nails on yourself then the best thing would be to go to a reputable salon & let some-one else give you a great set to show off at the wedding.
Theres no quick-fix tips for doing your own nails, some people never feel happy doing their own but, generally its something that just comes over time, with lots of practice. From the sounds of it, you dont have that much time between now & the wedding.
Good luck.

I have only done my own twice so far. The first time they were terrible and I took them off within a day. This time (I did last Friday) they are much better and still on now. They are not perfect but they are improving so I am pleased. Do your harder hand first (if you are right handed do that hand first), put aside lots of time, perhaps do one hand one night and the other the next day so you arnt getting frustrated with yourself.

newintown said:
Hi Geeks.
I need help i'm going to a wedding in Ireland this weekend and I would like to do a set of L&P nails on myself but I strugel.
As reading through threads on here and looking at the pics, lots of you do your own nails and they are fab and wondered if anyone could offer me some tips/advice, as i know iwill lose my rag take them all off and go to Ireland with recked nails. :cry:

Clare
Hiya hunni, im afraid doing your own nails takes so much practise . I could never do my own nails at all and if i did i wasnt happy with them and would take them off! IMO if you can do your own nails you can do anything lol keep at it hun youll get there in the end xxxx:hug:

I can do my own nails and the look pretty good, I just hate doing them. I love doing other peoples just not my own!! Sometimes what I do is do 1 hand 1 day and the other the next. It breaks it up a bit and gives your hand a rest as it is a lot more awkward on your own nails

I have done my own for the last 10 months. I used to get them done with a tech, a great one too, but I moved 200 miles away to the countryside and havent seen a good tech advertised thats mobile anywhere around me!!

At first my efforts were poor, but passable. Especially my Right hand, cos I'm right handed of course. Now, I'm really good I think and dead impressed with my growing skill. It does take practice but is well worth it, cos if I lose one, I just do one that night to replace it without having to 'book' an appointment to get it repaired which I used to hate. By the time the appointment came round, all the others had suffered too! cos I picked at them cos they looked different! :o :lol:

I always do my own and have done since I first started doing nails. The only person who has touched them since is JacExtreme. Before I trained I used to get them done all the time.
The thing is, if you are not happy with how you do your own then you need to practice so maybe for this occasion go and get them done (perhaps by a Geek in your area) then you can infil them yourself and you get your practice in.

Ha, now for some reason I cannot do infills on myself atall!!! they always look weird. If they grow out, I usually pick 'em all off a do a fresh set!! WRONG I KNOW! :o :eek: :o

Tsia said:
Ha, now for some reason I cannot do infills on myself atall!!! they always look weird. If they grow out, I usually pick 'em all off a do a fresh set!! WRONG I KNOW! :o :eek: :o

It is harder to do infils on yourself I must admit and I found it really hard at first but if you keep trying it just kind of clicks like learning to drive.

Don't worry, I have also picked em off in times of stress!:o

At the moment cos I am moving and packing boxes my nails look like boys hands! Bare and short, gross.

i did my own yesterday ,
i did the awkward hand first ,it took ages and ages ,then when i was happy with that,i had a cuppa and i bit of a break ,then did my best hand ,this was a breeze and had it done in about 40 minutes....and they do actually look ok so im made up ,well they must look ok coz my client today said "can i have them like yours please"
and that can only be a good thing :)

i always do my own nails....with only two exceptions in the last few years, my brother in laws girlfriend who wrecked them and then i was a model for a lovely geek who did a beautiful job!

Thank for the replys and I took the advice of doing one hand last night. And hey they look great,I'm impressed !! I think where I was going wrong befor was get the kids in bed then start but then I was rushing to get both hands done befor I went to bed. Last night took my time and and there was no pressure to finish all in one night.
When I get home form work I will try and load some pics (will have to read the thread on how to do this first !!!)

Once again thanks:hug: :hug: :hug:

I do my own nails without a problem, although doing my right is always a challenge. They really looked nice too, but I just picked at them too much, they had to always be perfect. So in turn I was playing with them too much, working on them too much at least once a week. I took them off in December and I have nice nails, even when short as my nail beds are long. I just do my natural nails and often times people think they are artificial. I love artififcial nails the sound, the length but when it's an obsession and too much time spent on them it's not worth it to me. Just my opinion!

aj

newintown said:
Hi Geeks.

Clare

With great difficulty lmao !

The only way to be any good at nail enhancements on yourself or a client is to practise,practise,practise !

I know it's not a short term fix as you want them done for the wedding,but it is realistic advise,good luck hun x:hug:

I cant sculpt on myself but I do do tip/overlay.

The easiest way for me is to cut out well, tidy the smile line, blend the tip and shorten to preferred length, then I put the acrylic on before I put the tips on my nails, it works every time.

Don't know if other nail technicians do this but I find its easier for me otherwise it takes me 3 hours if I put tips on first. This way I can do my nails in half the time.

Latest posts

Back