Do you feel a useful member of the Geek community?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Am I a useful member of the Geek community?

• Yes, I always try to start a thought-provoking thread!

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Yes, but I'll usually try to use my knowledge to answer someone else's posts.

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Not sure. I'll always search any answer I need first but always try to make some contribution.

Votes: 24 42.1%
  • Not really. I'll just answer people's posts for something to do.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • No. I lurk, read posts for my own benefit but never answer any.

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't say that I've ever started a thought provoking thread.

I think I contribute by helping other people with their questions when I can.

Most of the answers/advise I give people is stuff I've learnt on here. I've learnt more since being a geek then I did in the years before I was a geek. I generally only have to read something once & I remember it, so I'm able to regurgitate it for somebody else:lol: but there are so many knowledgable geeks here that someone usually beats me to it.

Don't think of yourself as a spare wheel, I think everyone's a bit nervous when they join up, there are some very intimidating geeks. You will learn from those more experienced, then you can pass it on to the next lot.

I think you've mentioned this before (????), and it just goes to show that you appreciate the help and it's always nice to be the person helping someone who appreciates it. Makes us feel useful.

Aw when was that? I must have been out that day!!!!! :green: :lol: :green: !!!

I always think the geek site is like a huge party!

You get the real party goers who just get on and have a ball, throw their handbags on the floor and have a good bop around them and don't care how daft or daring they look :green: (okay okay I'm really showing my age at that handbag comment!!).

Then you get those who need a helping hand all the way, they can't even go to the loo on their own. :hug:

Then you get those that sit at the edge like wallflowers, so wanting to join in but don't quite have the bottle to get up. Then suddenly their fave song comes on and awaaaay they go!!! :Grope:

Then you have the party poopers, those who do nothing but moan and pick fault and are never happy unless they are being negative and making sure everyone feels as bitter as them. :irked:

Then you have the gatecrashers ... they get banned!!! :lol:

Hmm I think I fall in the raving handbag boppers brigade, although sometimes I'm happy to be a wallflower, take a breather and let somebody else jump in and have fun!

Oh dear I think I know which category I fall in !!:o:o:o

Seriously though (I am occasionally) I, like Naomi, have only continued in the nail industry because of this site, when you work alone and are newly qualified it all seems impossible. I have learned so much and I love new people asking the same old questions because now it is my turn to help someone else.

I will never have the experience and knowledge of the long termers but if we all put a little bit back then the site will always be alive.

When I first found this site I had already been a tech for a few years, so I thought I could maybe come on and help others, but it turned out to be the other way around.

I am always learning on here, even more so now that we have hair and skin geeks too.

I like to think I give something back, even if its just a small amount and I love to read the replies from Gigi, because she often makes me look at things differently.

The reason i've asked this is because I always feel like a spare wheel when I come on here. :cry: (not because the people are unfriendly....quite the reverse!:hug: )
I love coming on here and either trawling the forums or, if I want to know anything specific, I'll use the search option. In fact, the search option is so good, I don't think I've ever posted a valid question on this site - i've usually always found the answer on a previous thread!! I'm always a bit nervy posting a new thread cos I think people will be rolling their eyes!!
How do you feel when you log onto SalonGeek?

I ticked box number two as I love to help and pass on my knowledge. I also loved Sassy's party analogy; the party poopers are so obvious, I wonder if they realise :| .

I don't post as much as I used to - for no other reason than being busy. I love to have geeks thoughts on things. Just because other companies don't join the site and ask opinions doesn't mean I'm not going to. I WANT to know what makes nail teks tick, what they need, want, expect and so reading threads and asking thought provoking questions floats my boat.

The geeks are only a small sampling of our industry, but I think a very important one. :hug:

I try to help if I think I can, It will be something I have came across
or something I have read, been told , etc... but thats how we all learn,

as I told my daughter the other day when she was crying and stressing over homework ,
she didn't want to use a calculator, she thought that would be cheating..
and I told her...

"Don't be daft, nobody ever just KNOWS an answer, you have to LEARN an answer, whether that be from , reading,
asking somebody else, or searching in google!!!
Now you can sit and struggle for hours on your own, getting into a state,
or you can ask for help and learn from it."

Her teacher backed me up all the way, and said
"Find out your answers by whatever means possible, just take it all in and work hard to learn from it , and expand on it"

I would like to help a lot more one day, but I need to learn myself first :D

VERY sensible words!:hug:

I'd love to contribute more but sometimes by the the time the lightbulb goes on the question has already been answered.

I have learned loads from this site and as I get more experience hopefully I'll be able able to answer more :)

I ticked the 2nd one as i will always help when i can, but i still use this site as my bible of information when there are times i am stumped.

I couldn't get on here enough when i was a newbie. My hubby reckoned i had married my laptop. (nearly caused a divorce at times too...lol) Now i love to look through and read up on people's answers to all questions. I sometimes put my 2 penny's worth in if i feel its needed, but there are so many knowledgeable geeks on here, i just wait to learn anything new along the way.

I am still learning on here and know i will continue to for years to come. Well, lets face it, you never know it all do you?:)

However since starting my thread on nail trauma with my nealy sliced off finger tip I feel like I have made a difference as even the experts are learning from my nail with stiches in it!!

That's a bit of a drastic way to contribute, hun! :lol:

I allways help when i can, at first when I joined I just soaked up everything on here and still do now...
more give than others i think but sometimes it might be down to having more knowledge and life skills than others including myself i learn alot.....maybe i dont give as much as others but hopefully i do try...sometimes i go through periods of not replying to much, and sometimes i feel i am not giving enough,
but with me its usually due to head wreck....lol of whats going on with my life...but when i am in full throttle with life then hopefully i give more...
and just incase i feel i dont give enough thats why i am a premmie so if i cant offer wise words of wisdom at least i am contributing in some way lol

I ticked option 2. When I first came on here I gave little help and advice because I felt so inexperienced. Now I like to help if I can because I am more confident and more experienced. Much of what I have learned, I have learned here and I now find myself repeating to other geeks information which was previously shared with me.

IMO the search facility is great if you know what you are looking for. However sometimes it helps to ask and answer the same questions over again as this brings new ideas and opinions to the fore. If questions are repeated, a new geek to the site might be able to offer a different or fresh approach to the query. This can also bring about new and interesting debate.

I ticked option 2. When I first came on here I gave little help and advice because I felt so inexperienced. Now I like to help if I can because I am more confident and more experienced. Much of what I have learned, I have learned here and I now find myself repeating to other geeks information which was previously shared with me.

IMO the search facility is great if you know what you are looking for. However sometimes it helps to ask and answer the same questions over again as this brings new ideas and opinions to the fore. If questions are repeated, a new geek to the site might be able to offer a different or fresh approach to the query. This can also bring about new and interesting debate.

That's a good point Tracey:)

I'd like to think that the information or advice I give is of use to other geeks ... I know for a fact that I have most certainly received lots of useful hints, tips, advice and info from my fellow geeks on this site.

I'm not so great at 'thought provoking threads'. I've tried, but I think that what I find of interest and worth deep thought might not be the same for others. Ahh well LOL OR in my own mind, I think "well, that's not really worth a deep discussion" and then a few days later, there's a 5 page thread on it. Ahhh I was wrong, it is worth a deep discussion.:lol:

I try to be helpful, and answer where I can.
Lately, I'm not online as often as I was. Much busier of late, so feeling guilty because I've only been popping in quickly, taking a tiny peek around and then popping out again.
But hopefully, things will slow down for me, and I can give more time soon.

I know I've gotten much more out of this site than I have given. At least, that's how I feel.
I love this place... and the people that frequent it.
I wouldn't want to be anywhere else

:hug:

I ask more questions than answer them!:o
But I dont really feel like a spare wheel and I do like to hear and give different opinions on all the subjects.

I guess that what is most interesting and appealing to me on this site is knowing that I am not the only nail freak on the planet!

when I first starting doing nails, I took the class with my best friend, and we were both so into it and always talking about it, and the products, and the new stuff, and people would look at us funny! so when I found this site, I felt right at home.

Even if I don't contribute a lot as I use a system that is not vey popular here (but training for gel right now!!) I still feel right at home here!
even when the subjects get racy, or when evryone dissagrees with me, its just wonderful to get other opinions.

there is so much info, pictures and links on here, I am in paradise at every visit! :p

great oportunity to thank the ENTIRE geek community for all your help, support and good chats!:wink2:

I love it here even though I spend hours doing research on threads pertaining to my specific issues. I do try to make sure that I look it up first before posting.

My CND educator told me that I shouldn't worry about asking questions that might be obvious for more experienced techs. She said for everyone like me who will ask those questions, there are those who *want* to do it but don't want to risk looking a bit silly. So, in that way, I might even be helping others a bit.

S

Latest posts

Back