Do you have a double personality?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999judy

Reaction score
Are you a different person for different clients?
OK, I'm still basically the same old me but do you adapt for your more "mature" clients?
I find myself changing the music for my oldies, ie a nice massage tape instead of the radio, making sure the room is warm enough, not having a fan going (hearing problems). Trying to remember grandchildrens names (this is hard, I forget names of people I know) it all makes them happy and feel at ease. As well as having 40 different shades of pink varnish:)
With younger clients put the radio on, cool the room down again, know what's in the charts, know what the latest nail trends are?
As well as offering a good service do you try to accomodate different clients so that they will return to you?
I find that a lot of techs don't want older clients but they are the ones that we need to look after - do you agree?

i can only think really of one of my hair clients she used to be a school teacher and is in her 70`s now, i always seem to be chewing gum but i don`t when i go to her as she can`t abide the smell of it ( typical teacher) it makes me feel like i`m back at school!!!
but she`s a lovely person.:)

I think you have to be able to adapt your personality in any job where you are working closely with people, with some clients i am fairly quite and professional, but some i can let my hair down & have a laugh with....some i can tell mucky jokes to, some would be offended!!:lol: Im always really nervous before a new client as i dont know if im going to get on with them, but once ive met them i either tone my personality down somewhat or let myself shine...:)

I'm a different person when I'm servicing one of my clients cars than when I'm doing their nails!!!! :green:

yeah .... i think you do adapt your personality depending on the client... and you have to be able to get along with ppl of all ages young and old... i try to make everyone welcome... just hope it works...lololol

Yes definitely - not on purpose, it just happens! xx

I think it is one of those life skills that either you have or haven't got! I always adapt myself to whoever I am talking to and I don't even realise I'm doing it ... using their kind of language, it just makes them feel comfortable. Mind you if I speak to someone with an accent I find that after a while I am adopting that too ... why is that?!

I do find the younger generation harder to relate to, but then having teenage daughters does help a bit so i don't make a complete prat of myself thinking I'm cool when I'm not!

Yep certainly have - I have many different heads - (the main one is a daft head :lol: :lol: :lol: ) but you do have to treat people differently and accordingly - it is no good being all jolly and happy if you are with a client who has just had a close relative die:eek:

It is all part of providing a good sevice to your client base - knowing them and their ways and treating them accordingly

Yes me too.

I have clients of all ages and I do find that I am slightly different with each of them. Subjects we talk about, language used etc. I think its a good skill to have to be able to adapt to your surroundings.

If we didn't do this (and I'm sure most of us do to a degree) we would find ourselves with only one type of client and I for one want to attract as many clients as possible!

I worry sometimes as I think its like being two faced. If a client said something I dissagreed with I wouldn't make anything of it as I think a good client / tech relationship is important to keeping my clients and them hopefully recomending me

Fab thread!! The answer is god yes one day I am there couseller, then there breath of fresh air, thats why i LOVE MY JOB every day is different like our clients, and to be honest I find the more mature ladies so much more fun, there knowledge for life and there stories :o and the younger ones make me feel alive, actually thats alie they make me feel bludie old! ha ha

Most of my clients are older and they are the spenders too. Techs who don't make them feel welcome cause they are older are losing out big time.

I don't have a say in the music played in the salon cause I just rent space. I would say that I am the same with most of my clients just the topics of conversation that differs. I have great fun with both young and older clients.

I think it's part of the job and we probably don't even realise the different personas we take on throughout the day.
Being in the service industry means that to succeed we have to have a compassionate nature.
So, in answer to your question Judy, yes I have more than one personality, but I'm not always aware that I've changed it, it seems to happen naturally :wink2:

Defnitely loads of personalities. Some I am serious & boring, and with others I can make them laugh really easy. Some clients make me feel uncomfortable & I dont know who to be.

I can usually slot into any situation especiall as I am in other peoples houses. Then when I am out (round the pubs) Im a total nutcase and pray I dont bump into any of my clients!!!

... if I speak to someone with an accent I find that after a while I am adopting that too ... why is that?!

quote]

Lol - I find myself doing that too, I always blamed it on my dad being in the RAF and us having moved around quite alot so my accent is pretty mixed up anyway (bit like my brain lol). xx

I feel strongly that working with the public, you need a chameleon personality to work with the different people and the different situations arise. Different things work differently with different people. (Ok, that sounded all odd, but not sure how else to say it:irked: lol) Certain people will only respond the desired way with a certain treatment.
I have always worked with the public, in a myriad of ways.

When I worked with stock-brokers (who are savage rude cavemen by the way, with no more manners than pigs), I had to have big attitude and be able to get in their face and tell them where to get off in rather strong language, or get eaten up and spat out. (But I would NEVER dream of dealing with anyone else as I did with Brokers.) I had to either A)have balls as big as theirs or B)pretend that I had balls as big as theirs. If I let them holler at me without saying a word, they'd walk all over me. As office Admin, I had to make them tow the line in the only language that they knew. YES there were the very odd few that were darling and sweet and respectful, and I treated them the same was as they treated me. For the rest of the savages, out came the whip and chair :lol:

I recall one particular client... very aggressive and rude sort.. he put all the assistants off.. Never paid any of them any respect. He tended to yell all the time, full of bluster. Anyway... one day he pushed my buttons too far. I interupted his tirade and told him pointedly "if you can't speak to me nicely and stop yelling, I will hang up this phone" He started hollering again, so I hung up. After that, he only ever wanted to deal with me, never with any of the other 'dumb twits' as he called them and he was ultra polite, never any more yelling. Sent me a 100$ gift card at xmas. Go figure. I was sure I'd get canned for hanging up on him LOL My boss thought it was hysterically funny. No one had ever dared to hang up on him, not even his broker (he still yelled at him LOL) and when I left the firm, he apparently gave his broker **** for that too and said it was his fault :lol: :lol:

With dainty lil old lady clients (whether it was in the office or as a tech now) I'm the daughter-in-law that they all wish they had. I make them laugh, I make them feel wise and treasured, I make them comfy and make them feel spoiled.... I am ultra polite, never use slang, cautious with topics and any jokes....

For the mature "gentleman"... they all wanted to adopt me too (ok, some wanted to marry me HAHA)

With my younger crowd, they want someone laid back who's not going to judge the antics and craziness in their lives, and I'm just their crazy pal, good for a chuckle.

With my business set, they are the ones where every 2nd is an hour for them, so it's down to business.. chop chop, no chit-chat, all very serious... Some people.. try as you might, you just can't get that pole out of their butt
:lol: :lol:

THEN lastly, my REAL pals/girlfriends..
They show up with coffee from Tim Hortons to spoil me (cause I refuse their tips) and we chat and kid around, they tease me, I tease them. We pause now and then for a ciggy-break or whatever...... A set/fill with one of them can take as long as 3hrs sometimes for all the silliness and kidding around. We tell dirty jokes, talk about sex etc etc.. it's all just a bunch of fun.

So I think it's ultra important, if you want to be successful to be able to gauge a client's mood and personality and 'be' that person that will make them feel most at ease. Some prefer silly, some prefer tranquil.
A good tech will know which of her faces to put on for whatever personality or situation.

PS: sorry for the ramble LOL

yeah .... i think you do adapt your personality depending on the client... and you have to be able to get along with ppl of all ages young and old... i try to make everyone welcome... just hope it works...lololol

I worry sometimes as I think its like being two faced. If a client said something I dissagreed with I wouldn't make anything of it as I think a good client / tech relationship is important to keeping my clients and them hopefully recomending me

Absolutely....I always tried not to be too opinionated with clients...and would just go with the flow in conversations...
Whenever clients voiced opinions that were maybe a bit controversial or not something I would agree with...I would just keep my head down ...go quiet and concentrate on my work that bit more...whilst biting my tongue!!!...
After all I was running a business!

I think empathy is the best personality trait to have in this business...and you definitely have to be a people person!

I think everybody does it, every day whether they are at work or not.
It's just people skills. I don't think it's so much changing your personality as choosing which side of yourself gets the limelight for that interaction.
Everyone has their nice and polite moments, so when you are dealing with your little old ladies, you let that shine through.
We all have our rowdy and crazy moods, and that side is perfect for your younger clients.
There are times when you don't feel like talking and just want to buckle down and get on, and that is great to draw on if you are with a pole-up-the-a*se busy person who is in on their lunch break.

So, IMHO, I don't think it's necessarily *changing* your personality, so much as being selective about what aspects of yourself you put forward ;)

Latest posts

Back