Does age matter?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi i am opening a spray tan salon i am 21 years of age and it will be just me spraying at the beginning. But i have had a couple of comments that people would be put off from having a 21 year old spraying them they would rather an older person in their 30s/40s
So my question is does age matter do you think that more people would be bothered then those people who are not?

No age does not matter!
Well not to me anyway, I'm 25 and clients always think I'm 18 and just qualified! But they still keep coming.......
You go for it, I wish i'd been able to at 21!

X

why would it matter about your age? I'm young so are a lot of other geeks on here. I have older lady's come for tans, never once have they questioned my age nor commented on it. why would you need to be in your 30's/40's to spray tan?

do you spray better when your in your older years or something lol seriously dont worry about it, good luck with your business x

Would not bother me one bit. The last spray tan i had was by a 21yr old and she did an ace job.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I dont think it matters at all :) im 21 and im taking on the st tropez spray booth in the summer (ive been trained in tanning for a few years but have only just gained the extra space to bring it back).. Ive had a lot of clients say how pleased they are as they wouldnt want to go elsewhere for a tan but would feel really comfortable with me doing it and cant wait (all these clients are above 30) so no i dont think its your are or the way you look that matters.. :) if clients are happy with you and they feel comfortable then thats all that matters, :)

I don't think it does matter to most people. However, I'm 37 and not slim. This has gained me clients who are not young slim things as they have commented they feel more comfortable undressing in front of me. It's all down to personal preference.

Good luck with your new business xxx

How silly that someone would even imply that... your ability to do a fantastic job has nothing to do with age. You go for it! :Love:

Icons this interesting as was told something that infuriated me recently....

I work in a tanning salon (sunbeds) and we had recently advertised for a new part timer. Being nosey - me and a full timer had a brief check of the cv's handed in (live in a small town, was just looking at names to see if any friends had applied!). Came across one of a lovely lady - but was bluntly told that on no uncertain terms would this lady even get an interview as - wait for it ..... She was over 30.

It genuinely shocked me so didn't say anything. The company I work for is quite big so if this happens here then it probably happens in all the salons.

I found it very age discriminating and I hope to god I'd never be like that when (hopefully!) I have my own salon. We all have skills we can bring to the table - age is irrelevant!!

I don't think it does matter to most people. However, I'm 37 and not slim. This has gained me clients who are not young slim things as they have commented they feel more comfortable undressing in front of me. It's all down to personal preference.

Good luck with your new business xxx

This, I think, is more what It's about, rather than age, expertise and skill.

It's how you feel getting your kit off and your own body confidence.

Some older people just feel more confident around people their own age and body shape.

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Nah dont matter at all. I dont know why it would. You can be competant to spray tan whether you're 18 or 50. Long as you know what you're doing i shouldn't think anyone would question ur skills cos of ur age

I was always told by my ex boss that some clients may be un easy with me being young (20) I was like what the hell!!!!

Happy to say she was wrong but I do get the odd older client that sounds surprised when I ask them to follow me to the treatment room for waxing. But they soon seem to take it back when I Tell them all my qualifications and what I've done!

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Icons this interesting as was told something that infuriated me recently....

I work in a tanning salon (sunbeds) and we had recently advertised for a new part timer. Being nosey - me and a full timer had a brief check of the cv's handed in (live in a small town, was just looking at names to see if any friends had applied!). Came across one of a lovely lady - but was bluntly told that on no uncertain terms would this lady even get an interview as - wait for it ..... She was over 30.

It genuinely shocked me so didn't say anything. The company I work for is quite big so if this happens here then it probably happens in all the salons.

I found it very age discriminating and I hope to god I'd never be like that when (hopefully!) I have my own salon. We all have skills we can bring to the table - age is irrelevant!!

I wonder if they know this is illegal? Lol...i bet i could guess the company too ;-) x

nah dont be bothered about trying to be older! Dust it off your shoulder and show your expertise, and a side note for tending to older clients, always make them feel confortable and compliement them! Good luck with your venture! xoxo

I'm 19 & been qualified for 3 years, I get bitchiness off other local salons that give the sly digs that their more experienced etc but I just say (nobody take offence it's just towards local salons lol) that I'm younger & more bang on trend than others! Age don't matter xxxxxx

Definitely not! I am 41 and as long as the therapist was professional and di a good job I wouldnt care if he/she was 21 or 121 !!!!!
Good luck with you new venture xxx

I wonder if they know this is illegal? Lol...i bet i could guess the company too ;-) x

Hhhmm yes u possibly could! ;)

I thought it was illegal. It's not up to me to say anything now but should the situation arise again I would probably query it. I very nearly didn't get the job as I was married with kids !xx

Latest posts

Back