Does anyone feel the same??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikkiNails

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I just want to know if anyone feels the same as me here?

I Have been on this site for a few months now, when i joined i thought...'what a great opportunity to share advice with other professionals!'

I must say at times I am disappointed! I find that some users find other users questions and queries a chance to put them down and criticise. ( some times to the extent of being mean by making fun of them)

Also, The 'elitism attitude' of some geeks towards certain products / companies is shocking. I will only comment on threads when i am confident that i know what I am taking about. To show an example of what i mean, I have read threads from new techs asking ' Im looking to do training with LCN or CND, Does anyone have an idea of who i should train with?'

To which a geek answered...'NEITHER!! both those poducts are rubbish, I didnt train with either of those companies!'.....which to me begs the question.....'Why are you answering the thread then!!!'
(This is a fictional comment but you get my drift!)

And so many new techs, Replying to comments on threads they have made saying 'sorry, I just wanted some help, looks like i have come to the wrong place!'. After being almost ridiculed for asking an innocent question!

I have the skin of a rhino (not literally!) so if any comments of a 'harsh' nature were aimed at me ( which they havent been) I wouldnt shead a tear, but i remember being a new tech and wish i had access to a website full of expert help back in 'the day!'

On a good note, I have spoken with many great techs on here and have shared some interesting stories and received (and hopefully given?!) some great tips and advice....which after all is what this site should be about, right?

Ok, well thats my moan over!

Just wanted to see if it was just me who noticed these things or others too?
x

Hi
i know what you mean, i think i would be a bit intimidated if i was new to this and asked what seemed to be a stupid question. But we all ask "stupid questions" at the start when learning.

i felt a bit like this a while back and rarely came on here but think it's a matter of getting to know personalities as when i felt kind of picked on i realised it wasnt really that personal. myself i tend to have foot in mouth and a dry smartarse like humour which most dont get.

If i can, i try hop in and give an answer as i know how the asker must feel:)

oh Ez Flow and NSI all the way, or whatever system you prefer!!! haha

oh Ez Flow and NSI all the way, or whatever system you prefer!!! haha

Hi Pammie!

Oh No! Ez Flow and NSI! I wouldnt use either, they are rubbish! I know this as I have never tried them!! Hahahahaha! Joke!!!

Thanks for your reply, Im a bit 'brutally honest' myself but i suppose i just feel sorry for these poor fresh baby nail techs, just starting out in the world. haha.

Glad im not alone, I was waiting for an onsalught to be honest!

I suppose that could still happen! xx

I am new and only learning and if i put a comment up i feel like people are out to put me down.More People need to encourage people we all need to stick together

I dont even know why you care enough what others think to put this thread on if youre that thick skinned?
forums are for professionals, not for moaners?
maybe youve come to s.g for the wrong thing?

I personally don't find this a particularly friendly site.
PQ

This is hardly the first time this has come up :rolleyes:. If salongeek is such a nasty place why does it continue to grow? Members need to take advice in the spirit that it is offered - as one professional to another. If you want your ego stroked you're in the wrong place.

This is the the largest forum for salon professionals in the world, and that is not by accident. We are lucky to have educators and industry icons contributing on a daily basis......

Feedback is a gift and you can choose whether to accept it or not. If you choose not to then be gracious about it, don't b*tch moan and whine when you don't get told what you want to hear.

I know I sound passionate and I wont apologise for that. www.nailgeek.com as it used to be saved my sanity and helped make me the nail tech I am today. I've belonged here for 6 years and I will stay for as long as I can help others as well as needing help myself.

Embrace what is on offer here and you can only be better for it.

This is hardly the first time this has come up :rolleyes:. If salongeek is such a nasty place why does it continue to grow? Members need to take advice in the spirit that it is offered - as one professional to another. If you want your ego stroked you're in the wrong place.

This is the the largest forum for salon professionals in the world, and that is not by accident. We are lucky to have educators and industry icons contributing on a daily basis......

Feedback is a gift and you can choose whether to accept it or not. If you choose not to then be gracious about it, don't b*tch moan and whine when you don't get told what you want to hear.

I know I sound passionate and I wont apologise for that. www.nailgeek.com as it used to be saved my sanity and helped make me the nail tech I am today. I've belonged here for 6 years and I will stay for as long as I can help others as well as needing help myself.

Embrace what is on offer here and you can only be better for it.

Very well said Yvette. :hug:

Please remember this is a site first and foremost for professionals... it's an educational site and I can hand on heart say that since I joined only 2 years ago, I have been made to feel nothing but welcome and a part of this geeky community.

If someone gives the wrong information, they will no doubtly be corrected, as no one wants someone to go away with the wrong information, it's not being rude and I have been corrected before for things I have learned in College and I was delighted to be given the correct answer.

I've become a better Nail Tech because of it and I've nothing but great things to say about the site.

There are a lot of people on this site daily and not everyone will agree, but that's life isn't it?

yes this has come up a few times, it tends to happen when a lot of newbies come on and ask the same questions without first checking the search option to check that it hasn't been asked before posting.

for example: "what skin products should I use". this has been asked so many times that it is actually beneficial for the enquirer to read threads with answers already done.

Also we cannot be responsible for people that are "rude", infact we endure them.

We also get an influx of "trolls" where people come on, answer questions in quite a rude manner, step over everyone in a roughshod way and then flounce off in a diva like hissy-fit manner. They don't usually last long as they don't get the attention that they crave as we tend to ignore them.

Yes, it can be a little blunt on here, but boy oh boy it is so helpful and informative.

use the forum as a staff room, give and take equally, appreciate the expertise that is given and filter out the ill-informed who think they know it all.

Enjoy.

Well im not new and i dont think its very friendly anymore either. I think a lot of this is now to do with Facebook where people will now have their friendly chats and banter on there rather than here.
I also think there is a lot of my way/system etc is better than your way/ system.
I think and know we have lost a lot of good knowledgable geeks because of certain things that are now not so good about the site and people just cant be bothered and have run out of patience to offer their support anymore.

If you put 1000's of people in the same room you can bet your bottom dollar that not ALL of them are going to get on..be nice...be polite..ect.....and its the same here as anywhere. Different personalities, traits and ways of thinking/doing things.....all amounts to some people feeling offended, upset or cheesed off.

It happens in "real life" too....:)

Best thing to do is...

Ignore what you don't like/agree with and just take from the site and focus on the parts you do like/agree with....although saying that we will not stand for plain rudeness, so please do remember that if any of the posts break the site rules (as listed in the link in my signature) then please do hit the report post tab (red box on the top right hand side of the post) and we will look into it.

Think of this wonderful site like your plate of dinner....Enjoy the nice bits...try some of the new bits and leave the horrible bits alone...:lol:

Well said Bagpuss!!

I know from experience on here that is it sometimes this kind of threads that can erupt into ill feeling, I really hope this one doesn't !

I have been on here for a few years now, and have always found it helpful and it can be a great lifeline to Techs/therapists who are a bit isolated and working on their own.
I do like to feel a part of that by answering and helping out on as many threads as I can. Every so often there is a spat of some sort but by and large the Moderators sort it out and we all kiss and make up. A bit like Life!!

I too of late have felt that the site has been lacking somewhat, as there have not been many good meaty threads that would involve any kind of debate!
All we have been getting are questions that require a yes no answer and should be getting put to the company/distributor involved and not on here at all!!
I tend to ignore these, for fear I would end up being one of snarky people you are talking about :eek:

As for people asking about brands X & Y only to be told use neither use brand Z!! I have commented on one such thread myself as I found it disrespectful to the threadstarter. I did it in a polite way so no one took offence and no Mods were required (PHEW!! :Scared: )....so what is the problem?

So I say if you disagree with something on a thread say so in a constructive & polite way, if there is any problem after that then click on that red box and report the post..simples!!

Meanwhile, why not try and think up some thought provoking threads that we can all get involved in and discuss, rather than moan and whine about moaning and whining :rolleyes: :lol:

Last edited:
Reading your thread I didn't think it was a whine and a moan, I thought it was constructive criticism you are entitled to your say. If you look at the replies 50% of them have proved your question to be true. Possibly they are the ones it seems who like to do the bitching and moaning as you say. We should all work together and offer any help we can, this is after all a site for professionals and should not be product bias as so often happens. There are a lot of good products out there what works for one may not work for another, this is not the only site of its kind if you know what I mean!!

Don't worry as we've all felt like this at one time or another. I know it can be very off putting when you're new to this site, but believe me, you'll never find another site like it for sharing experiences and finding out all the latest on treatments etc.

Just treat the nasty ones like the bullies and the thick girls at school. They obviously have issues or no work and like to take it out on others, which is very easy to do when they are faceless.

The vast majority of Salongeek member are lovely, kind and generous with sharing their experiences, so pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again. xx

The site has always been a great educational tool and a place to get our facts straight and out hineys kicked every now and again by other techs who do so because they want us to succeed. A bit like the teacher at school no one likes but everyone in their class does well, then years later you think they were the best person in the world.

The other part of the site has always been the community feel. The helping and sharing and laughing together.

I think that what you are feeling is a bit of a lack of the community feel of late and I think others have noticed it to.

The thing is, that to have that fun, all sharing and caring vibe, you have to contribute to it also. Counteract negativity with positive threads.

Some of my personal peeves

PLEASE people, stop with the is this better than that questions. CND or OPI? NSI or NfuOh? The answer will always be the same. People will tell you what they use and pick one of the two to recommend (even if they dont use either, cos well that was the question. There is so much info about different brands on the site. Just search at the top of the page for the brand you are researching.

If your particular query isnt answered in an old thread then post but in a general way. Asking this v that is starting a conflict between two things right there. Saying, ''I am looking into changing product what do you like about your chosen one'', is much less conflict provoking.

If you have a few questions at once about similar subjects please put them in ONE thread that has a detailed header rather than three threads asking 1) What are the best tips? 2) Help me with applying tips 3) How do well-less tips work?

And finally please be a bit detailed with the header of your thread ''Minx'' is a very varied topic, as is 'shellac'. Make your question clear in the title, ie 'Having some minx application problems' or 'I think I am applying my shellac wrong'

Ooh I just sounded like a right moaning minnie :eek: Just remember positivity is contagious! Spread the love:hug:

I've honestly not had a problem here at all. I've been to far more sites that are far less friendly and I'm pretty thick skinned. But I'm not an expert in skin, nails or hair so I stick mainly to the business side of the forum and the blogs so maybe I just haven't been "exposed!" to it....

I have spent many years on forums of varying topics... And it seems to me that forums full of women suffer from forum "pmt"... Every few months there's a big ruction or arguement and a lot of threads about how the "forum has changed" or it's "not as friendly as it once was here"... It's just a natural cycle. Try not to let it bother you too much.

(((((HUGS)))))

I haven't been here long but Ive had mixed experiences. Ive definitley had some brilliant feedback and helpful comments but I would say that im certain that if you've not got the "right" product your definitley "skitted" or "slated". My Cumbrian slang !!

Ive read posts from new starters in the industry and in business asking what people think they should use, stating that they would like to start off with x or y brand but because it isnt A or B brand some quite high up Geeks slate it. I wonder do they forget how hard it is to start out in the industry? A little empathy and support would be better than, "You must buy this or clients with think you're unproffesional" would be better.

Just my opinion
Locus xx:confused:

Wow!

Thanks for all your comments regarding this thread, Good and well...not so good.

Just want to pick up on a few points mentioned, The question of 'why i would concern myself with these issues if i was so thick skinned'....I think I answered this by saying that when i was a new tech i wish i had access to a forum of this sort to help me progress.

Also, at no point do i think i alluded to the fact that i wanted 'my ego stroked'!

I can see that I have rocked a few people's boats with my thread, and i appreciate all of the feedback. It would appear I am not alone in my thoughts.

I do want to state though, I am not just 'moaning' I started this thread to see if it may hit home with a few of the 'not so friendly' geeks to maybe be a little more understanding, and realise, we all had to start somewhere.

On a whole i love the site and find the majority of geeks on here are friendly and helpful, and offer great advice, (not just to newbies but to experienced tech's) Its just the few, that in my opinion, tarnish the site with their non constructive critisism.

As some of you have stated, you like a debate, and are bored of the same old threads so surely you should relish the chance to have your say?

Im not here to cause offence to anyone, just putting accross an opinion, which it appears is not entirely mine
x:)

Debating is fine but nit-picking isn't.
If you want a debate then start a good one that's really THOUGHT PROVOKING.
Start a thread that invites lively debate without bad feeling.

We have a fab community here, lots of members have made some lifelong friends through being a member of Salon Geek, myself included.

If you're looking for fantastic tutorials and articles written by respected professionals within the salon industry then you've come to the right place... If you're looking for FACTS as opposed to what you 'want to hear' then you've come to the right place... If you want to be part of the largest on-line website for salon professionals which is also award winning then you've come to the right place.

On the other hand...
If you're here to 'pick through' comments then perhaps it isn't the right place for you... If you want to be told information so it's all pink and fluffy then you're not in the right place and if you're here to moan and whinge about the site then go ahead but don't expect hoards of fans... if you see what I mean.

Contrary to popular belief the site isn't product specific, invitations went to all of the major companies and they chose NOT to be a part of it, that's their choice, nobody can force them to come here and volunteer to help with troubleshooting queries from the professionals who use their products... to be perfectly honest it's a poor show from many of those companies (again, personal opinion).

Use the site as it was intended to be used for... to help educate, to help with answers. Use the search function, title your threads as informatively as possible, have a nice attitude and treat others as you like to be treated yourself :green:

I'm fairly new to this site, but not so new to what I do. When I first came on here I also felt a bit intimidated and felt that some of the comments seemed a bit confrontational, but I think if we just try to remember that it's easy to misinterpret text sometimes as in a conversation it can be said in a different tone, it may not be as it first seems.

I love this site and it has given me so many new ideas and strengths, try to keep an open mind, there are not many people who would take the time to reply about something they didn't care about or were not genuinely wanting to help with, sometimes people can be plain misunderstood. And if not, that's their problem, not yours!:green:

Latest posts

Back