Does anyone feel the same??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only speak for the hair forum but we do tend to answer questions that have been asked over and over. We go out of our way to answer all questions, including ones that should really be in the consumer forum.

We are, though, to the point with advice. We have stylist and salon owners with a wealth of experience and don't tend to sugar coat.

I agree with Extensionize, you don't often have free advice like you get on SG from time-served professionals.

Why must we have this nanny state, where we have to watch everything we say, lest we hurt someone's feelings?

Because they all think they are experts after a basic course! Plus, they don't KNOW that they lack knowledge!

Deep breath, and keep typing!! x

Just having a scan through the responses to my post and it would seem that its been a mixed bag really.

Im glad that I am not alone in my thoughts, as many geeks seem to have 'read' my post and agree with some points that i have made.

On the other hand it seems that some have misunderstood and taken my comments as an attack on salongeek, or (quote) that i think we should have a 'nanny state'.

I just think that there are ways of giving an opinion without being rude or derogatory to others, and for people in our customer facing profession's, where we have to grin and bear it when a client turns up late, even though inside we are screaming 'LATE AGAIN!!!' but still we manage to force out 'dont worry' in a pleasant voice should be able to be polite!

I am not one to suffer fools gladly but i also feel that manners cost nothing.

:)

I suppose it comes down to your point of view when you are reading a post. What I might decribe as succint, you might describe as short and blunt.

In my own defence, I don't type in my day job! I find typing essay long answers slow and difficult, so tend to be quick and short.

As most hair and beauty pro's dont really type as part of uor job, maybe that is a bit of the problem?

One time I posted a thread asking that although I wasnt trained in hair extensions, could I still go on to do weave extensions in the salon because I had practised it on my friend a few times.

I got ripped apart. I was hurt that people were implying that I was crazy to think that I could do it without training.

More than a year later...I look back and think I was crazy. I hadn't thought about it at all, and instead of my fellow Geeks just jumping at a chance to be a cow to me, they were SAVING ME from making a fool of myself and potentially getting my butt sued off.

Sometimes it seems people are being rude and mean but they really just are being blunt and saving you from falling flat on your face.

Just my opinion on the thread. xx
. This is my favourite post on this thread. I remember very well what happened here and I think it is an amazing testament to what this site can do. I also think it is great that Kim is able to be humble enough to admit this.

The fact of the matter is, this IS the largest professional forum and not everyone is going to like everyone. When Sam created this all those years ago he had one aim that still holds true... To have an unbiased site where all professionals could come and learn. The skin and hair side came later and I am thrilled to see these sections growing with some really great posters who know their stuff.

The written word can be read many different ways. Be mindful of HOW you write things. Meanwhile, after the beating we have taken over the last few months I defy anyone to use the damn word biased. Yes this site was created by us but it has enabled MANY to grandstand their products and I am OK with this... Some key moments are deserved....

Although I understand what the poster was originally trying to convey, I find that most of the time this type of thread ends up in a bitch fest with posters using it to convey what annoys them about the site. I would simply answer as others have. If you don't like it, you know where the delete button is. :lol:

Meanwhile this is a pretty fantastic site for pretty fantastic info, results, friendships and up to the minute industry info. Enjoy it... Celebrate it... Talk about the good stuff and more good stuff will continue to happen.

I agree with all prev replies. I have found that some people will ask advise and if not what they want to hear they defend themselves to much, I find some peoples attitude is blame products or clients rather than oneselfs technique.

I look back and I too have been quilty of this, it is only now I through such great education I can be sure I am 90% product knowledgable (even though I can not spell it lol) and if a problem arises and I was to post on SG I am sure if it was me that my peers on here would tell me not out of spite but out of professionalism, andI would be big enough to say 'hey yes maybe it was me, my technique'

I love salon geek it has helped me along with S2 and CND become the very near master tech I am today, and I truely believe this xx

I love this site and yes at times I think the answers can be blunt but it makes me think twice about what Im asking in a good way as in I will do a search and I will really think about what I have to ask to make sure it makes sence. I have asked lots of questions some very basic and some for opinions and have always had positive helpful replys. I don't think in fact I know that with the help and support I have had from this site in the last year I would not be doing as well as Im am.

Annie x

I love this thread and more importantly, I love the people in it.

Considering there are well over one million posts, I think that it is fair to say the VAST majority of those are made with good intentions and great information. With 6,000 unique visitors a day coming here, we are bound to get some wackos (which we have plenty of, but I am talking specifically about the troublemakers :) ). The trolls are dealt with pretty swiftly by the team though sometimes some people and some situations are a little more tricky to deal with. The remainder of "issues" are usually clashes between reading into what someone posted and/or not communicating very well in your post.

We all have great days, bad days and a lot of "in between" days which affect our ability to read intentions as well as to communicate our own. And while it would be utopic to have all posts answered in full without baggage or negative connotations, lets be real and recognise those that make the effort and ignore those that don't (they never hang round long enough).

In short, YOU make the forum what it is. Counter negativity for a more positive experience. Make posts that YOU want to read. Encourage and support where you can and ignore those instances where you don't think you can.

And if you are about to lose your cool about someone or something... do it somewhere else.

And one more important thing to ALWAYS keep in mind: What you write here will most likely outlast you. Your posts from good days, bad days and in between days will be a testament to who you are and what you did for others in our industry.

Now a couple quick points:

1. Read the commandments
  2. Thanks for the concerns re: revenue however I have never made a cent from this site, though its certainly cost a crap load over the years.
  3. People learn to post before they learn to search (this is a common law of physics). I have grown accustomed to that reality. Furthermore let it be known here and now that the search facility sucks :D
  4. Instead of telling people "argghhh not another of these threads about xyz". Encourage them to search as there has been a lot of discussion on the topic. Otherwise take your frustration out on your significant other and simply ignore the thread.
  5. Ignore rude or offensive posts. If it really is rude or offensive, report it.
  6. If it isn't rude or offensive and you are simply fragile if someone isn't bigging you up, forums (as a general rule) are simply not the place for you.

Toodles

On the other hand it seems that some have misunderstood and taken my comments as an attack on salongeek, or (quote) that i think we should have a 'nanny state'.

I am not one to suffer fools gladly but i also feel that manners cost nothing.

:)
This would maybe another, mis-understood post or my inadequate way of putting a point across. I was not accusing you of wanting a 'nanny state', it was just a societal observation. We do have a culture now where offence is taken readily, across the board. :)

I think Sam has some very good points in his post. Although the reference to physics is way off.:green::lol:

I love the straight talking on SG to be honest. It prevents us from becoming disillusioned, keeps us grounded and doesn't sugar coat the industry because lets face it, from reading here we know that the nail and beauty industry isn't the easy cash cow that some people think it is!

I have learned that email, text, letters any form of communication where you cannot hear the tone of the person can lead to open interprutations. So that is why I try to see if the answer can have a positive spin or conotation even though reading it initially seems negative or sassy.

Jeani

Without salon geek I would not be where I am today- I still have a long way to go though. When i hear about something new the first place I come to is salongeek, search for what im looking for and if i cant find the answer i make a new thread, I love to get advice of those with far more experience than me and if i can help others i will do,

it does get tedious that some people will just come on here not use the search facility and ask the same old questions, or some come on here with an attitude of they know best after taking a day course in something and will argue a point. Then there are the ones that come here to educate themselves and further their careers taking advice and helping others where possible. It does seem to go in trends, for example sept/oct/nov, new students want homework questions answering, they wont learn if they were given the answers and so many geeks will simply say im sorry but do a search and check your notes, there is only one way to learn and thats by doing something and finding the answers for yourself. There are many expert geeks on here that make the site what it is, a professional forum.

I have noticed through the years of being a therapist and with the help of this site i have become maybe a bit thicker skinned but this has also made me stronger.

You will also not find a more passionate and supportive group of people than what you find on here.

As sam said if you dont like the site then use the delete button no one is forcing you to use the forum but i doubt you will find such a wealth of knowledge anywhere else.

Latest posts

Back