Does anyone make their own cuticle oil?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat68

Reaction score
If so, would you share your recipe? I would like to purchase cuticle oil in bulk like 8 oz or more at a time and solar oil is too expensive for me. I do like TT vanilla cuticle oil but she has discontinued it :( I pour my oil into a dropper so I don't need one that comes with a brush. I'm also wondering if I do make my own cuticle oil if it needs to be refrigerated to keep it from spoiling? What do you think? Any advice is appreciated! :green:

I hav never heard of anyone making their own cuticle oil, and I would not recommend it. You mentioned the price of Solar Oil, but its cheaper than nail enamel and lasts a long time. I would think that using a home made oil would not be good for your enhancements, and you would lose clients who are unhappy with their nails, solar oil wouldnt seem so expensive then.

If I went to have my nails done and the tech was scrimping on vital ingredients such as cuticle oil and using a home made recipe, I wouldnt even let her finish the service. Imagine if you went to the hairdressers for your hair lightening, you would expect a professional to use the proper materials, so what would your reaction be if she got out the lemon juice, claiming it does the same thing and that the proper peroxides (or whatever they use Im not a hair geek) were too expensive?? The same would apply for you in using home made oil I would think and if I were you I would invest in a decent cuticle oil.

I have heard quite a few geeks say that they have made their own cuticle oil up. I will have search to see if I can find any threads on it.

Hey all. I did find a site on it, and I do know that some techs make their own, but I definitely understand the point above as well. Just wondering if it's the same ingredients how it would hurt anything. Most of the time when I am using cuticle oil, I put rub it into their cuticles after their enhancement and they go wash it off in the bathroom anyway lol. Here is the site I found. I wouldn't mind dabbling in it if I do research and find that it's the same ingredients, why not?

How to Make Your Own Cuticle Oil - wikiHow

I make my own - I dont scrimp on vital ingredents - infact I add more than the retail stuff thats out there, and its natural with no artificial perfumes and certified Organic - which is what my clients want. Kitkat feel free to PM me and I will share what I make, the choices are limitless when it comes to blends that are benificial, but you do need to know what not to use especially if you have pregnant clients :)

I was making my own a while back and found it caused nails to lift. Have you had any issues with this? So I went back to good ole Tammy Taylo cuticle oil and no problems.

I make my own.
It retails faster than I can keep it on the shelf. I use very good quality oils.

I am now in the process of seeking out bigger bottles because I have clients begging for bigger bottles, some with skin problems that are now using it for that too.

In fact two who were using Dr prescribed cortizone cream for excema/psoriasis (can't remember which) and have stopped and are now using my oil and have better results.

There are all kinds of threads on this subject, tonnes of debate. I make a healthy profit, clients are extremely happy. Many have also been buying it for friends and coming back for more, for their friends who have also fallen in love with it.

I use:
jojoba oil
sweet almond oil
rice bran oil
Vit E oil
Tea tree oil

Shall email you the cost breakdown (don't need clients to know the cost and difference in retail)

hth's

I was making my own a while back and found it caused nails to lift. Have you had any issues with this? So I went back to good ole Tammy Taylo cuticle oil and no problems.

No problems at all, and it can be better for the skin in most cases as I can actually do custom blends for different skins.

In saying that

You actually do need to know what your doing regarding oils, pop into a health store and talk to the resident oil expert and you will learn alot. :)

Victoria - if its avalible to you in canada land, research and look into getting Macadamia oil..... totally amazing oil :)

also another (and I know nail zoo uses it) emu oil as well... not good to retail to vegies though as its litterally made from the big flappin birds.

Victoria - if its avalible to you in canada land, research and look into getting Macadamia oil..... totally amazing oil :)

also another (and I know nail zoo uses it) emu oil as well... not good to retail to vegies though as its litterally made from the big flappin birds.

Didn't know about macadamia, thanks for the tip!!

I knew about emu, but it turned me off LOL Not liking the idea of those poor birds dying for my beauty regimen
:lol:

I would never make my own. Clients are paying for a quality service not a home made job.... It would cause nails to lift I stick to ez flow essential oil for cuticle and my cliients always take a bottle home. I think a small mini is £3.25 how can you not afford that? Trust me you need to buy the cuticle oil your nail company uses to ensure your nails are up to optimum results. :green:

CND Solar Oil is SO well known in the UK that clients ask for it by name so I sell it like crazy.

For the time and effort involved in making my own ... which I could not guarantee to my clients ... who can be bothered when Solar Oil is so well known.

I like branded lines and I do not find it expensive at all. I'm surprised that you do.

Thanks all, I think I'm gonna give it a go. I will definitely do my research first. If I can create the perfect cuticle oil using the same ingredients as a branded brand then I think it would be more economical, and as mentioned above I could customize it for certain skin types which sounds good. I will get back at a later date to let you know my results.

I hav never heard of anyone making their own cuticle oil, and I would not recommend it. You mentioned the price of Solar Oil, but its cheaper than nail enamel and lasts a long time. I would think that using a home made oil would not be good for your enhancements, and you would lose clients who are unhappy with their nails, solar oil wouldnt seem so expensive then.

i make my own cuticle oil with very good results - thankyou very much, my ingredients are 100% pure and certified

If I went to have my nails done and the tech was scrimping on vital ingredients such as cuticle oil and using a home made recipe, I wouldnt even let her finish the service.

some of the home made recipes are actually better that the bought stuff - look at sallys, they sell a cuticle that is 100% mineral oil and we all know that is crap

i think alot of peeps diss those that do make there own cuticle oil - i would too if they used crap ingredients, but i went to the bother, and the expense of going thro the right channels ( trading standards etc) certified ingredients, labeling, and a lot of time too, so please dont tarnish everyone with the same brush flower

I would never make my own. Clients are paying for a quality service not a home made job.... It would cause nails to lift I stick to ez flow essential oil for cuticle and my cliients always take a bottle home. I think a small mini is £3.25 how can you not afford that? Trust me you need to buy the cuticle oil your nail company uses to ensure your nails are up to optimum results. :green:

will you do me a favour flower - would you post the ingredients as they are on the bottle of cuticle oil that you buy

For the record, my clients don't get lift, that use the oil.
The ones that don't use their oil.... they occasionally do.

We've had this debate before, and I don't want to argue with anyone.
We've all our own opinions, and that's fine. It makes the world go around.

But to suggest that mine causes lifting, when one hasn't even tried it, or seen the evidence on my client's own nails....................

I buy top quality ingredients and I LOVE that I know EXACTLY what's in each and every bottle. SO DO MY CLIENTS!
No dilutants or mystery ingredient names that I know nothing about.
All pure, natural ingredients.

Just because something doesn't have a 'big name' or brand behind it, doesn't mean it's crap.

I agree its not about cost at all

simply because MY blends cost a flip load more than a bottle of Solar oil at wholesale price (who pays retail?) and do you know what? I even GIVE MINE AWAY to clients - never have to retail it - its part of the service and the reason I charge what I charge.

No one is saying dont use a 'companys' oil.. what we are saying is there are choices and they arnt bad OR cheap choices in making your own.

No I couldn't be bothered tbh...not enough hours in the day to make my own cuticle oil...I struggle to throw a decent meal together:)
By the time you've bought all the stuff and sterilised the bottles etc etc is it really worth it?
Plus you'd have to label them to show the ingredients etc for allergies just to be on the safe side?
We live in compensation nation unfortunately and you could guarantee that if I made some I'd sell it to an ambulance chaser.
And then get sued.:eek:

I did at one stage. It was nice and did the job, never caused lifting. But these days I just can't be bothered to be honest. It can be done, but if your issue is the inital outlay cost, it would be cheaper to just buy a bottle of solar oil.

This is an interesting one, I would never do it but for those it works for - great !!!
I use and retail Solar oil in a variety of sizes. From my point of view I would never let another professional eg hairdresser use a home made product on me and work on that basis with my clients.
Because I am totally a Creative tech the solar oil sits in with all the rest of the products I use too. When I suggest a solar manicure for example clients are already familiar with the Solar name and smell will request that service.

Latest posts

Back