Does anyone make their own cuticle oil?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did at one stage. It was nice and did the job, never caused lifting. But these days I just can't be bothered to be honest. It can be done, but if your issue is the inital outlay cost, it would be cheaper to just buy a bottle of solar oil.

Hear hear!!

It's not as cost effective as people think if they add up the true cost of doing it. Most do not really calculate the true cost.

You have the purchase of the oils
All the time spent sourcing ordering etc. (My time in the salon is worth 60€ per hour).
Time and money Ordering paying for the bottles
Time and money Ordering paying for the brushes/droppers
Time and money Ordering Paying for the oils
Time and money Ordering paying for labels
Time spent unpacking the goods and preparation for filling
Time spent mixing the oils together
Time spent filling the bottles
Time spent labelling the bottles
Time spent clearing up after filling

You get the picture. If a financial person was calculating the cost of your home made cuticle oil as opposed to the mass production of a branded line then I'm sorry, but your home made oil is FAR more expensive than you obviously realise.

I'm not saying not to make it or that it would even do any harm ... but be honest and realistic about what you really are doing.

I also as a professional like the security of knowing that all the products are tested as to purity and tested for organism growth to make sure they are not contaminated. No way a home made product can be guaranteed against contamination when bottled in your own kitchen or wherever one does it.

Like the poster above ... I personally could not be bothered to spend my time this way and not get properly reimbursed for it. And I sure wouldn't spend my precious free time bottling cuticle oil. JMHO

I have to agree that making your own oil isn,t such a dreadfull idea if you have enough knowledge regarding this. As long as your customers like it and you know what you are doing...why not. I can,t see the harm in that
I wouldn,t do it myself since a lot of my fancy pants customers would hold their noses up to the fact that it,s something i blended and it,s not from CND or any other famous brand. I also wouldn,t dive into this since every complications i would get with nailenhancements i would probably blame the oil :lol: I am allready paranoid enough when it comes to those things.

Thanks for the tips, does the homemade stuff need to be refridgerated?

Thanks for the tips, does the homemade stuff need to be refridgerated?

no, oil itself is a preservative so it needs no further help.

however, keeping it cool and out of sunlight will keep it fresh for even longer.

I think it would depend on the ingredients as different oils have very different shelf lives. I wonder if you would also need to put it in a dark bottle as light can affect oils too (although I'm by no means an expert:)).

Is it really worth the bother? Solar Oil has been developed by experts and you can retail it. Also, you only need s small drop, so in the grand scheme of things, it costs very little to use in a treatment. xxx

If you were to make your own cuticle oil. You would need to get this tested by a chemist before you sold it to the public. This is required by law. This does not apply to US. If someone got a bad reaction from your oil they could sue you.

If you wanted to make up some for yourself that is OK. Adding grape seed extract can help the shelf life of your oils.

Last edited by a moderator:
no, oil itself is a preservative so it needs no further help.

however, keeping it cool and out of sunlight will keep it fresh for even longer.

Oil will go rancid within anywhere from 3 mnts of opening bottle, jojoba helps it to be more stable as jojoba is not a oil it will not go rancid even if essential oils are added. I massage with oils I blend myself my nails are better since I started massage. But I only mix small amounts at a time 250 ml carrier oil at the most with essential oils otherwise It would be binned as it goes rancid quicker.

Latest posts

Back