Dog food

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mm29

Reaction score
Ok very random

Some of you know I recently got a new pup about a month ago,
So Iv been researching food for him,
I didn't want to change straight away wanted him to settle properly

So he was fed in Iams but from what Iv read it full of fillers

What do you feed yours?
And what treats?

I believe you are what you eat,

He's a lab

After lots of research I feed my golden retriever Arden Grange. Within a few weeks I noticed a huge improvement in her coat among other things.

Some dog food is completely rubbish, as always you get what you pay for!

After lots of research I feed my golden retriever Arden Grange. Within a few weeks I noticed a huge improvement in her coat among other things.

Some dog food is completely rubbish, as always you get what you pay for!

Fab il look into that thank you!

I got a sample of fish for dogs (?) he seemed to really like the wee treats but they were very stinky and have to order online so just looking for a few suggestions

We got a jack russell about 3 months ago. He was on Bakers (full of colouring and additives) and vet advised us to change him onto Royal Canin which we did. But we've just started training and the dog trainer said we might want to consider changing him again as it's got quite a high % of protein and as our little Jack Russell is so high energy, the food can have an impact on his behaviour. She supposed to be sending us info on recommended food this week so can forward it on to you if it looks helpful?

Meira Xx

Fab il look into that thank you!

I got a sample of fish for dogs (?) he seemed to really like the wee treats but they were very stinky and have to order online so just looking for a few suggestions

We got free samples of this from our vet but the smell does put you off lol. Our pup loves his regular food so I actually just use that as his treats when we walking and training too and then it's easier to keep track of how much he's eating.

We got a jack russell about 3 months ago. He was on Bakers (full of colouring and additives) and vet advised us to change him onto Royal Canin which we did. But we've just started training and the dog trainer said we might want to consider changing him again as it's got quite a high % of protein and as our little Jack Russell is so high energy, the food can have an impact on his behaviour. She supposed to be sending us info on recommended food this week so can forward it on to you if it looks helpful?

Meira Xx

That would be really helpful thank you so much!
the vet told me about royal canin too, but also said she doesn't feed her dog it anymore only when he was a pup,

We got free samples of this from our vet but the smell does put you off lol. Our pup loves his regular food so I actually just use that as his treats when we walking and training too and then it's easier to keep track of how much he's eating.

Lol I was doing this too with the fishy food I got he's still got a lot left actually
Need to get it back out oh the smell lol

We feed our lab Orijen check the reviews, she loves it.It is expensive but you don't have to give them very much.So a big bag will last us about 5 weeks.
They do a puppy version.

We feed our lab Orijen check the reviews, she loves it.It is expensive but you don't have to give them very much.So a big bag will last us about 5 weeks.
They do a puppy version.

Cheers
Will def look into it, not heard of this brand where do you buy it?

I would much rather pay more and know he's getting what he needs.

What about treats?

I use CSJ dog food for my lab/boxer cross, and got my mum's lab pup onto it too - they've come on leaps and bounds.

Great value and quality food, supplements and treats. All British made, all decent quality named meat sources plus you can call their nutritional advisor Nicky for advice any time; they are the CND of the dog food world!

I can't recommend their 'heal' herbs enough - mum's lab is gluten intolerant and we couldn't get weight on him. Couple of days of the herbs and we've not had a dodgy tummy since - even when one of the kids fed him their pasta!! I use them plus a salmon oil supplement and their sooper dooper champ food, my Tesla is in amazing shape; the vet thinks it's great and complete strangers stop me to ask what I'm feeding him!

Don't use Royal Canin! They've been implicated in bear baiting rings and their parent company in China and Russia uses HORRIFIC animal testing. Plus they're ridiculously expensive!

Honestly I don't work for CSJ haha I just want to spread the word. So many of these conglomerates like iams, royal canin etc are ripping pet owners off, just because we love our pups and want the best for them. Some of their parent companies are involved in animal testing, slave labour etc, I just hate them! Was so glad to find CSJ! They send free samples as well, so no harm in dropping them an email!

R x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Cheers
Will def look into it, not heard of this brand where do you buy it?

I would much rather pay more and know he's getting what he needs.

What about treats?

You can quite often get it on offer online at various places,I get it delivered, its not sold everywhere.
For treats she just has a bit of carrot or other fresh bits.I did use james well beloved puppy training treats when she was little,but we have to be careful she doesn't put on weight being a Lab.

I use CSJ dog food for my lab/boxer cross, and got my mum's lab pup onto it too - they've come on leaps and bounds.

Great value and quality food, supplements and treats. All British made, all decent quality named meat sources plus you can call their nutritional advisor Nicky for advice any time; they are the CND of the dog food world!

I can't recommend their 'heal' herbs enough - mum's lab is gluten intolerant and we couldn't get weight on him. Couple of days of the herbs and we've not had a dodgy tummy since - even when one of the kids fed him their pasta!! I use them plus a salmon oil supplement and their sooper dooper champ food, my Tesla is in amazing shape; the vet thinks it's great and complete strangers stop me to ask what I'm feeding him!

Don't use Royal Canin! They've been implicated in bear baiting rings and their parent company in China and Russia uses HORRIFIC animal testing. Plus they're ridiculously expensive!

Honestly I don't work for CSJ haha I just want to spread the word. So many of these conglomerates like iams, royal canin etc are ripping pet owners off, just because we love our pups and want the best for them. Some of their parent companies are involved in animal testing, slave labour etc, I just hate them! Was so glad to find CSJ! They send free samples as well, so no harm in dropping them an email!

R x

Thank you for your very informative post
Is csj short for something, I'm away to google anyway x

http://www.csjk9.com/

Sorry I should have put that in my post!

The fish treats are great too, Tesla goes mental for them!

R x

R x

I had no idea bout their history. My parents vet use Royal Canin and so when my vet recommended it too I thought nothing more of it. Been having a google now and was quite shocked with what I read!

We use Fromm Gold. They do a puppy, adult and senior I believe.

Our cocker spaniel has just turned one and is about to switch to adult. So far he has loved the puppy one and it's not full of crap.

Like someone else said it is expensive but you don't have to give them as much.

UK supplier is http://www.postalpetsproducts.co.uk/fromm-gold-nutritionals-dog-food-17-c.asp

Treat wise he has a pedigree denta stick. We buy the big ones and break them in half - works out more cost effective than buying the small ones recommended for his weight!

Good luck :)

I had no idea bout their history. My parents vet use Royal Canin and so when my vet recommended it too I thought nothing more of it. Been having a google now and was quite shocked with what I read!

I didn't either until my pet shop had signs up saying about the whole thing! They now refuse to stock Royal Canin.

The problem is that vets are actually paid by food companies to recommend their food. They receive perks for doing so, in the same way as doctors in the US get perks from drug companies to push their meds over anyone elses. So the big companies can afford to 'pay off' the vets to push their products.

My vet pushes Purina, the vet nurse was trying to make me buy some. I eventually had to tell her to jog on in quite a stern manner - first ingredient in Purina? Various Cereals. She was trying to tell me it's high quality food!!

R x

The very best you can feed is raw!
Can't rave enough about it, gives shiney coats, clean teeth, it's stimulating plus helps with allergies and skin problems.
Do your research though, it can be really cheap if you buy in bulk or from a raw dog food supplier.

I did this for a while with my Chi pup but ran out of freezer space, so I discovered Eden. (like orijen but cheaper at pet shops)

Eden and orijen are the only dog foods that have 5 stars on that which dog food . com (think that's the right name)

Its basically a raw equivalent. Cheap too for how much I have to feed.

The dog food even at the vets is shockingly bad :(
Any food that contains rice, cereals or meat derivatives you should stay away from! They are pointless and offer no benefits apart from bulking the food up.

For treats I give raw chicken wings or a stag bar (noooo rawhide)

He seriously eats better than me :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
The very best you can feed is raw!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Preach sister! I give Tesla as many raw treats as possible, but when I tried him on a pure raw diet it wasn't great for him oddly! Really upset his stomach, I kept trying for a good few weeks but he started losing condition. That's when I found CSJ and he turned back into my bouncy puppy! I was a bit concerned about his micronutrients on a raw diet too.

Seemingly some dogs find an all raw diet too rich? Strange but true in my pups case!

My dog eats better than me too - I spend a fortune on him!

I buy my pet food online from zooplus.co.uk. They have a huge range of brands and if you spend more than £25, it's free delivery too.

I feed raw too to my DDB puppy, I did find it quite daunting at first but found a really good company to help with all my questions & deliver the food to me.

Some dry dog biscuits have a really low meat content in them too! I also read what chemicals are in Bakers & it made my stomach turn :(

Latest posts

Back