Dog food

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread. I've spent some time researching dog foods.

I wanted the best for the dog and thankfully there are several excellent brands out there. You just have to choose one.

Ultimately the best is a BARF diet but our lifestyle and freezer capacity couldn't handle it (perhaps once we buy our house this will change).

In the end we went for Lily's Kitchen. No fillers, no meat derivatives. Safe & Healthy Food.

Other safe brands as far as my research showed where Orijin, Fish for dogs & barking heads.

Royal Canin, Wellbeloved, Science Plan, Eukanuba, Iams, pedigree chum, Bakers or pretty much anything you can buy at the supermarket is full of rubbish.

Treats - lilys kitchen, bulls pizzles (pet supermarket) and anything else our dog walking friends slip him when we are out. Stag bars have the potential to break dogs teeth therefore I choose not to use.

Good Luck and Congratulations. You'll have lots of fun.

Pauline x

I've been told that Science Plan is good for dogs???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I ask how all the raw feeders ensure good micronutrient balance?

It was my main concern when I was trying it out - I felt feeding the same meat most days (e.g. chicken) would be a little unbalanced but I don't have the freezer space for stashing lumps of every type of meat, and I don't have time to go to the butchers every day etc!

R x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Can I ask how all the raw feeders ensure good micronutrient balance?

It was my main concern when I was trying it out - I felt feeding the same meat most days (e.g. chicken) would be a little unbalanced but I don't have the freezer space for stashing lumps of every type of meat, and I don't have time to go to the butchers every day etc!

R x

You have to feed 80% meat 20% offal (heart, liver or kidneys) Urgh.

Barf is easier as the frozen prepacked minces contain everything they need

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Every dog is different! My french bulldog was on a high meat content dog food and it didn't agree with him at all!
He's now on Royal Canine and he loves it, yes it has a high content of kibble in it but for MY dog it's perfect as it is designed to slow their eating down as frenchies take in a lot of air when they eat. His poop has been firm, gorgeous coat, no tear staining.
As for the bear baiting, Royal canine are owned by Mars and it was their subsidiary that was sponsoring it, so to dismiss them because of that is ridiculous!
It's a little bit of trial and error, find what works for your dog, if you got them from a reputable breeder they would/should be happy to help with any questions you have.

That's how I do it too. How much you feed is based on weight, my pup is on 2lb a day atm. I also have 2 designated freezers so can stock quite a bit. I'm hoping I can also purchase off my local butchers as my normal delivery company has let me down.

I've got a part time job at Pets at Home and our most popular brands are Royal Canin and James Wellbeloved. All the people who buy swear by them and so does our vet

As for the bear baiting, Royal canine are owned by Mars and it was their subsidiary that was sponsoring it, so to dismiss them because of that is ridiculous!

I'm not sure you can dismiss people's concerns regarding animal cruelty as ridiculous. Even if it is a subsidiary Royal Canin had to apologise as royal canin named branding was used at the event - someone at Royal Canin must have known what was going on. Personally I make the choice to try my best to have nothing to do with any company (or their subsidiarys) who are involved in any form of animal, human or environmental cruelty and I think that's responsible of me, not ridiculous.

Good to know about the 20% offal rule guys. I might give it a go again but I'm sort of loathe to mess with his diet again when as people say - if what you feed works for your dog then great, never mind what anyone else says! He's on a 27% salmon feed from CSJ at the moment and he's never looked better!

R x

I'm not sure you can dismiss people's concerns regarding animal cruelty as ridiculous. Even if it is a subsidiary Royal Canin had to apologise as royal canin named branding was used at the event - someone at Royal Canin must have known what was going on. Personally I make the choice to try my best to have nothing to do with any company (or their subsidiarys) who are involved in any form of animal, human or environmental cruelty and I think that's responsible of me, not ridiculous.

Yes they apologised held their hands up and said this has happened and we are mortified! They are now working in the Ukraine to promote animal welfare. I am so against animal cruelty, but after doing my research on the brand and after seeing how they have tried their best to rectify things I'm sticking by them.

My sister feeds her 7dogs raw meat! Cheaper and is better than normal dog food, they don't tend to poo as much probably twice a day whereas before they would constantly be toileting etc. We find the raw meat it best, plus my man is converting her dogs onto it too.

I'd love to have the option of feeding the pre-prepared stuff from the pet shop but they list "meat and other animal derivatives" - which translates as "whatever was cheap at the abattoir this week" and therefore could contain chicken :(

I've never had a problem finding a local butcher willing to keep me some heart, liver, kidneys, tripe or whatever, just small amounts. I then chop them up/weigh them and freeze them in portion sizes.

Also, interesting that the topic has migrated slightly onto what else a company supports - Subway use a sports personality in their adverts who was charged for dog fighting (not an animal feed company, but being boycotted by many a pet owner because of it)

So out of curiosity my pup is 15kg 4 1/2 months
How much raw would you feed?

B
So out of curiosity my pup is 15kg 4 1/2 months
How much raw would you feed?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1384457955.610157.jpg

This is the guide I've been told to follow by the company who supplies. My pup is 17 weeks & is on 2lb a day.

Edited to say that he only weighs a few more lb than your pup, so would be in the same category.

Also, interesting that the topic has migrated slightly onto what else a company supports - Subway use a sports personality in their adverts who was charged for dog fighting (not an animal feed company, but being boycotted by many a pet owner because of it)

I had no idea!!! Which one?

Puppy food sometimes is too rich in protein and will make then itch xx

Latest posts

Back