Doing other's Shellac with the same on your nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesslala

Reaction score
Hello!

I can't seem to google the answer to this one - seems like a stupid question but how do you do people's shellac when you have it on your own fingers?! I just certified this week and have done mine today with brisa smoothing gel and shellac over and want to test how long they last without wrecking them with scrub fresh or something. Are gloves the answer?!

Thanks!

I don't wear gloves as i just don't like to but I can't keep mine on more than a week (shellac only) Plastic backed pads help. I'm interested in other people's answers too though x

I use plastic backed pads too. My shellac can last 2 weeks but I always change it before then because I get bored of the colour lol xx

I also use plastic backed pads.

Well there is only one answer isn't there. You work cleanly and carefully and protect your manicure with either gloves or using plastic backed pads when using solvents. There really is no other answer. It has always been the same with anything we have on our nails if we are doing the job all day.

This is our job ... There really is no excuse for your nails being less than perfect when you sit in front of your clients. It just takes care and attention.

Last edited:
Well I think it's either gloves OR switch to Gelish. It doesn't come off even when removing acrylic with acetone! Sorry.

Since I've been using the plastic backed pads and learnt how to do a removal without anything touching my nails I very rarely ruin my nails now and I can get over 3 weeks wear out of my shellac. Regrowth is horrible but sometimes I just don't get the chance to redo my nails!

I haven't been doing this long but I seem to have found a way to instinctively remove a clients shellac with no damage to my own - just being careful and methodical oh and using the CND wraps - I love them ! X

Try to always use the pads of your fingers to hold things, rather than your nails and you'll find that your Shellac and even nail polish will last longer.

So true! I really could not resist. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 342
Lol! So very true Gigi! Took me a while to think about how I stopped ruining my own nails as I can be a very messy worker. But after seeing how awful my nails looked after ruining them and not having time to redo them for a couple of days made, me work smarter and cleaner. Thank god for plastic backed pads! ;) x

Mine are fine! I'm on day 13 of my very first set :) I honestly haven't been careful at allImageUploadedBySalonGeek1378026370.721829.jpg

When I do a removal using foil and cotton wool I use a pump for all my solutions and when transferring the cotton wool damp from the pump to put on the clients nail to wrap I pick it up with tweezers instead of my fingers just in case.

I wear nitrile gloves while I wrap the nails, remove product and until after I use Scrub Fresh, then the gloves come off. I can even wear vinylux this way!

So true! I really could not resist. :)

Yeah, charming! Note taken.

Thanks to everyone who replied! Im only new and think it must just be about practice! :)

Well I think it's either gloves OR switch to Gelish. It doesn't come off even when removing acrylic with acetone! Sorry.

I use both Gelish and Shellac and BOTH come off if using Acetone or scrubfresh etc., the only answer is to use the plastic back pads or wear gloves.

I use both Gelish and Shellac and BOTH come off if using Acetone or scrubfresh etc., the only answer is to use the plastic back pads or wear gloves.
Of course they do! Ridiculous to say anything different.

Sorry to jump in but what are the plastic backed pads called on sweet squared? I do a search and the ones that come up dont mention plastic backing

Sorry to jump in but what are the plastic backed pads called on sweet squared? I do a search and the ones that come up dont mention plastic backing
Hands Down pads

Latest posts

Back