Double dipping news please read

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopperty

Reaction score
Hi geeks I'm new to this geek thing but am totally thrilled to be here! After many years of waxing I refreshed my skill with salon services. great day taught me nothing new EXCEPT double dipping rules. Its true...verified by my insurer ABT we are no longer allowed to double dip. If you do...well its your choice. I rang them they confirmed this was there ongoing policy. Also I asked about screening nail cleints and yes no screen no insurance...:(:eek:

Hi geeks I'm new to this geek thing but am totally thrilled to be here! After many years of waxing I refreshed my skill with salon services. great day taught me nothing new EXCEPT double dipping rules. Its true...verified by my insurer ABT we are no longer allowed to double dip. If you do...well its your choice. I rang them they confirmed this was there ongoing policy. Also I asked about screening nail cleints and yes no screen no insurance...:(:eek:[/QUOTE

Do you mean the 'dip & drizzle' ?
I know, its flipping awkward!

Sam x

As found on the HSE website it doesn't state that we can't.
This may just be your insurers policy.

“Current accepted practice is that a new spatula is used for each client and the risk of crossinfection from re-dipping the spatula into the same pot used for more than one client is small.
In these circumstances, i.e. when the wax pot is not single use and is reloaded with wax as
necessary, in addition to general cleaning up of wax drips between clients, the wax pot must be
regularly emptied, cleaned and dried, and the used wax discarded. How regularly depends on
the number of clients, but should be at least once per week
It also states...a change in wax application technique would not appear to be essential in
order to achieve a safe, hygienic standard of body waxing.

what does 'screening nails clients' mean? i've never heard that phrase before?

interesting to know that some insurers are changing... it always seems the way with stuff that once one person does it it isn't long before everybody does it... x

I dont believe in double dipping, but what exactly does this change?
Your insure can stipulate this requirement but you could still do it!

interesting to know that some insurers are changing... it always seems the way with stuff that once one person does it it isn't long before everybody does it... x
Id like to know what this means too please?

I'm assuming she means consultations before the treatment

x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I'm assuming she means consultations before the treatment

x

ohhh right! thank you for that! :D i never even thought of a consultation as 'screening', you learn something new everyday! :D thank you again.x

The exam boards require a new spatula for each application of wax , we have to train the students like this , its a huge cost to the salon the ammount of spatulas used is unbelievable!!!! Personally i think if the skin is cleansed properly , contrainindications are ruled out by consultation and a skin check performed i I wouldnt be chucking out spatula after each application, however if there is a blood spot then of course ,or doing intimate waxing I always do (especially the intimate areas if u know what I mean!!:lol:)

I've just finished college and we were taught to 'dip & drizzle' I.e 2 spatulas, one for dipping only then the wax to be drizzled onto another spatula then this is applied on the client. Of course a fresh spatula for each client too :)

Sam x

My waxing teacher at college thought this was a silly rule so she just taught us the one spatula per person way, but made us aware of the double dipping

I just use one spatula unless its someone with coldsores, blood spots etc I'll change each dip. But like handbagqueen said your preparing the area before the wax goes on so its getting applied to a clean area.

Years ago did they not re-use the wax and sive it at the end of the night and that was acceptable!! I remember my teacher telling me how she used to wax

The salon I get waxed at uses the one spatula.

Ridiculous. Such a waste of wax spatulas. This is H&S gone mental! Just use common sense!

There's many a thread on the age-old discussion on the rights/wrongs of double dipping, what people think/do.
Habia's waxing code of practice has always been the reference for many insurance standards: http://www.habia.org/uploads/waxing_code_of_practice_booklet.pdf
So regardless of what you do/believe to be appropriate re double dipping if this has changed then surely insurers should be communicating effectively to members?
Any insurance geeks like to clarify?

I double dip unless there are blood spots or I am doing intimate waxing. Spatulas do not cost a lot of money but there is no point wasting them either. Good sensible hygiene is essential in any salon of course and we must ensure that our clients are safe without getting totally fanatical.

If insurance companies are changing their instructions then the least they can do is inform us individually and in our trade magazines. :green:

First off the Dip & Drizzle idea / training, in my view, is just a pointless waste of time! And that is the most expensive aspect of your treatment cost ... time. By doing this you are wasting soo much time waiting for the wax drip onto another spatula.

I have a very simple setup that works incredibly well for speed waxing techniques. First of all a supply of spatulas in a jar on my trolley, then under the side of my table a small plastic bin with appropriate liner.

I dip my spatula in the wax, remove the excess and then apply a big thin coat of wax to the area waxing. And then I just drop that spatula into the bin, turn to my trolley, pick up my next spatula and repeat.

I have explained this to therapists and they will come back and say "Oh my god but that is so expensive! Do you not realise how many spatulas you are using and how much that costs?" Actually yes I do ... peanuts. My most popular waxing is a back and shoulders. Lets just say I had no idea what I was doing and somehow managed to use 50 spatulas for this one treatment that would cost me a whole 57p (inc VAT) ... on a £25 treatment I'm not complaining!

I use the no-double dip as a marketing tool! Works wonders.

Mat

First off the Dip & Drizzle idea / training, in my view, is just a pointless waste of time! And that is the most expensive aspect of your treatment cost ... time. By doing this you are wasting soo much time waiting for the wax drip onto another spatula.

I have a very simple setup that works incredibly well for speed waxing techniques. First of all a supply of spatulas in a jar on my trolley, then under the side of my table a small plastic bin with appropriate liner.

I dip my spatula in the wax, remove the excess and then apply a big thin coat of wax to the area waxing. And then I just drop that spatula into the bin, turn to my trolley, pick up my next spatula and repeat.

I have explained this to therapists and they will come back and say "Oh my god but that is so expensive! Do you not realise how many spatulas you are using and how much that costs?" Actually yes I do ... peanuts. My most popular waxing is a back and shoulders. Lets just say I had no idea what I was doing and somehow managed to use 50 spatulas for this one treatment that would cost me a whole 57p (inc VAT) ... on a £25 treatment I'm not complaining!

I use the no-double dip as a marketing tool! Works wonders.

Mat
Amen to that. Single dipping every time. It makes it hygenic for the client and means you stay within your insurers regs.

My waxing teacher at college thought this was a silly rule so she just taught us the one spatula per person way, but made us aware of the double dipping

I just use one spatula unless its someone with coldsores, blood spots etc I'll change each dip. But like handbagqueen said your preparing the area before the wax goes on so its getting applied to a clean area.

Years ago did they not re-use the wax and sive it at the end of the night and that was acceptable!! I remember my teacher telling me how she used to wax

The salon I get waxed at uses the one spatula.

You really should NOT be waxing someone with a coldsore in the area anyway. These are highly contagious!

I must say after reading that habia page it actually basically says do not double dip (in a long winded way lol) yeah spatulas are cheap as chips but it's up to the individual what they prefer. The more you practice single dipping the less spatulas will be used.

What about using a metal spatula and wiping it with surgical spirit or cleaner after each dip.I wonder if that would be acceptable.
I wonder where the wood comes for the spatulas.They may be cheap but not so good for the enviroment when everyone is using hundreds a day.
Im glad ive got a roller.One clean head each client and no!, evidently there is no flowing back into the cartridge thats what clean and easy say anyway.

Hi sorry I should have explained. Yes consultation, I am also a pilates coach and I do health screens.:)

Latest posts

Back