Doug Schoon speaks out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree there is way too much playing around that's not making anyone a penny .. All about ego and getting pictures up on the net. Ho hum!

Think I may just step away until someone actually needs something useful.

This is all extremely useful.

Technology and knowledge in regards to enhancements have changed dramatically in the last few years. Some techs have failed to keep up with education and this lets
The Industry down. However we are not all tarred with the same brush....

Technology and knowledge in regards to enhancements have changed dramatically in the last few years. Some techs have failed to keep up with education and this lets

No, thank goodness!

That's kind of my point, we can't generalise, and yet of course we do lol !
Not all Asian Salons were NSS, not all techs who do a One Day Course don't continue their Education, not all dinosaur techs like me don't keep up to date with new innovations.

In every Industry you will find charlatans and cowboys, and ours is no different.

That is where this Site becomes a valuable resource where we techs can come together share our experiences and our knowledge, nurture the new techs coming through and show them there is so much more to our job than bunging on white tips and pulling over some product, or ugly nails with beautiful nail art.

Last edited:

No one is 'tarring anyone with the same brush, ... We are speaking of a prevalent attitude from non-standard technicians ( just love izzidoll's new definition of this term NSS). and judging by response on the site to the only two interesting and thought provoking threads in the first 5 pages, I'd say there is little interest in furthering basic knowledge (or any knowledge come to that) from a large proportion of people.

Oh LOOK ... 3 dinosaurs in a row! Fancy that!

4. Lol

I heard this morning that the sunbed shop beside me is putting in a nail bar. Will they affect me? That remains to be seen. Am I concerned? No.
This Shop had a girl in last year who didn't last long. I don't know why but can assume it was because she wasn't very good.

The lady who runs the sun shop obviously just wants to cash in and why not? Isn't that what we all do to a certain extent.

There's good techs and bad techs. There's chancers and cowboys in every industry. I agree with izzi, all the resources are available for techs to improve if they want to or indeed if they recognise that they need to improve.

Self regulation doesn't work,(just look at the mess self regulation has left in the building industry) there should be some sort of required legal standards which may never happen so until then we will have to hope techs have enough pride in themselves and their work and want to push themselves to be the best they can be.

Gigi and Marian are in the industry for a lifetime for a reason, newbies take note.

Lol. 5, if I wasn't already counted

I expect there are many like me who take it all in but don't feel experienced enough to comment. Thanks for putting the info on here - helps enormously.

I expect there are many like me who take it all in but don't feel experienced enough to comment. Thanks for putting the info on here - helps enormously.
Even if you just say a simple ,interesting, it keeps the thread going on the main page instead of it getting burried under an avalanche of 'which colour should I buy?' :biggrin: :hug:

Well I've popped over from hair and I just wanted to say that this thread is brilliant! I have an avid interest in all things nails, and read Dougs myth busting facts with interest as well :) call me geeky, but I love learning!

May get a slating for this but the mood I'm in ...... I don't care !!!

Like all things in life, what interests one person may not interest another.
I, as like other members love the "what colour / design threads" on here because it can inspire ideas which we can put into practice.

This thread did start out with valuable information but like someone else said, maybe others don't feel the information can be added to, so why put a, yes I agree comment on just to add to a post count.

Rather than commenting about how this information is being lost within other threads on the forum, how about it losing the last few comments about why it's not been commented on (including mine) & put it as a sticky thread that's closed & for valuable information only ??

I must admit I am only here to read at the moment as I just don't get involved with some of the things I see, as someone that has been qualified for a number of years and with plenty of experience I want some of the 'juicer' information to get my teeth into.

I have had to have a break from the industry for a few years for various reasons. I had a very successful business with an good service and happy clients a few years ago.

I could half heartily get back in the chair I suppose but I won't. I need the right environment, the right products and the most up to date training, I feel my few years absence has put me behind and I want to be back on track before I think of starting again, that's how quickly this industry seems to change, and good, otherwise it might get dull :wink2:

May get a slating for this but the mood I'm in ...... I don't care !!!

Like all things in life, what interests one person may not interest another.
I, as like other members love the "what colour / design threads" on here because it can inspire ideas which we can put into practice.

This thread did start out with valuable information but like someone else said, maybe others don't feel the information can be added to, so why put a, yes I agree comment on just to add to a post count.

Rather than commenting about how this information is being lost within other threads on the forum, how about it losing the last few comments about why it's not been commented on (including mine) & put it as a sticky thread that's closed & for valuable information only ??

It's about having a bit of BALANCE on the forum. ... When every thread on the main nail forum has the same title with a different brand name ... It's bloody tedious and most would agree with that, I think.

If folks are not interested every time something of more interest comes up then it says allot about that persons atitude and about this industry at the moment ... And there are allot who would agree with that too.

The reason to add a response is not to add to the post count (eh??) it is to keep the thread on the main page for five minutes so that others can read it and benefit from the information. Why would anyone respond just to add to a post count? What purpose would that serve?

To your last paragraph ... Firstly no one takes any notice of Stickies. I may add it to the articles layer ... In fact I probably will but as 2/3 of the techs who should be taking note don't even know the site has a section for articles, I think it is better to be more public with it for a while.

Why you think you would be 'slated' for having a different opinion I don't know? I personally don't agree with your opinions in your post but I certainly don't see why you shouldn't post them. Or is it slating if I just don't happen to agree with a poster? Not sure. perhaps I don't know the definition of the word slating.

Great thread, thanks  

I feel the tone of some of what has been written unnecessary and quite frankly I'm not surprised people don't want to comment.

I am completely new to nails (previously worked in investment banking and then had children)....I am on this website every chance I can, taking in all that is appropriate for me, which is sometimes which is the best glitter to buy or reading such an article that this original post was commenting on. Either way, I don't always feel the need to comment. If the subject isn't something I want to read I won't.

Some of you have clearly 'been there and done that' which is great but I thought the purpose of this website was for us all to learn from each other whether that be something tedious to some of you but highly helpful to the likes of me. This is not the first time I have thought the tone was on the patronising side and like I said, I don't believe it necessary.

I feel the tone of some of what has been written unnecessary and quite frankly I'm not surprised people don't want to comment.

I am completely new to nails (previously worked in investment banking and then had children)....I am on this website every chance I can, taking in all that is appropriate for me, which is sometimes which is the best glitter to buy or reading such an article that this original post was commenting on. Either way, I don't always feel the need to comment. If the subject isn't something I want to read I won't.

Some of you have clearly 'been there and done that' which is great but I thought the purpose of this website was for us all to learn from each other whether that be something tedious to some of you but highly helpful to the likes of me. This is not the first time I have thought the tone was on the patronising side and like I said, I don't believe it necessary.

As I said ... The tedium comes from an IMBALANCE of subject matter not necessarily the subject matter itself. I love nail colour just not all over the nail forum so that there is no room for anything else... That is my opinion. No one is being patronised and no one needs to be sensitive to my opinion.

The 'tone' perceived in the written word is often only in the mind of the reader when they really don't know the person speaking. Others will sense humour ... Others will for some reason feel patronised, others will feel whatever they feel.
But that is really not the topic under discussion. This thread is about nail plate damage and who causes it and how. I would rather the thread stayed on topic if that's OK with everyone.

But that is really not the topic under discussion. This thread is about nail plate damage and who causes it and how. I would rather the thread stayed on topic if that's OK with everyone.

If that's what you would rather happen why comment complaining/stating that its sad people are commenting more on other threads than this & provoke others to feel the need to justify why they've not commented ??!!

Janine is right, some people come here to find other information out not just what this thread started about.
People will comment on what interests them, if that's all sparkly colourful stuff than technical information then so be it.

I first qualified in nails just over 18 years ago, obviously I was VERY, VERY young :eek:

My training, looking back was pretty poor. I travelled down the route of beauty rather than nails, and spent too much money on rubbish courses here and there trying to get back into nails.
I definitely have been guilty of overfiling and causing damage to clients nails in the past due to bad education and really not knowing any different.

Since finding CND, salon geek and investing time and dosh into training and such a super brand, I like to think my clients nails aren't suffering anymore!

The NSS term probably started out with the "american named" high street, nails in 20 minute salons, but do you think that a new generation of young girls who frequent these salons are the new breed? They have maybe seen how busy these places are and how easy they make it look and thought "hmm... I could do that.."?

Hopefully some will get good training, but lots won't. Maybe some of them will do lots of damage before they get a decent education and turn into a not bad nail tech dinosaur. like me...?

I have tons to say but I can't type well on my phone. First of all, I think the problem (over filing) starts at school. I'm new to the industry, but my teacher at school said she had grown up doing nails (her mom owned a salon). She never used terms like "etching" or "roughing up", she always said to remove the shine. However, there wasn't much of an explanation at all or more than one quick demo. I don't recall grits being discussed either. I learned everything I know from reading everything I could find from Doug Schoon and other experts like Geeg. I happened to stumble across them while searching the Internet for the knowledge I didn't get at school. I'm just happy I figured out who's who rather quickly.

There are some really good posts on this thread BUT, here we go again, complaints about 'tone'!!!

it is really difficult putting 'tone' and character into the, very impersonal, written word! Reading some threads on this forum is like being in a school playground! And, yes I'm being sexist, is usually the female of the species :Scared:

I am, in this post, doing the same myself and going way off topic but WHY can't people read things on face value and not some ulterior motive to belittle, put down, criticise and all the other bad things?

I am very happy to look through the threads and dip into the ones that either interest me or I think I could add something or be useful. But so much of the time I read a thread and can't be bothered because someone is being 'precious'.

It's a FORUM! A forum based on education. Education needs to be in this section and anything else in Chit Chat.

Very little rant over. Even with all the very annoying aspects I will still dip in and out because I care very much about the industry that has earned my living for so many years. I want it to get better and more professional and will still feel that after I retire. Education will earn everyone a better living; wasting time on petty bickering won't!! :biggrin:

I think what people need to remember on here is the pro's/teachers like Gigi, Mum etc actually WANT us to succeed, they encourage us to be the best and put us right where we go wrong, It's free advice from the best in the industry and they spend alot of there free time helping us on here. If there advice isn't always wrapped up in hearts and flowers ...tough. :)

I'm also a dinosaur in the industry, been a nail tech for 20 years but I have improved a great deal in the time I've found salon geek, I also early in my career was guilty of over filing but I'm much more aware now and take very good care of my clients natural nails, I think also better products have lessened the amount buffing the natural nail actually needs, just look at the great invention of Brisa Lite, I hoping in the near future there will be an L&P system that also requires no removal of shine on the natural nail too.

Latest posts

Back