Doug Schoon Video Series

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are really great.
But please remember that I'm Dougs "official stalker" lmao x

errrrmmmmm

I think you have a battle on your hands
:lol:

this is great information. Does anyone know of a DVD that talks through diseases and parts of the nail ? I trained along time ago and although I know the correct names for nail structure and problems (like onycholysis etc) I have forgotten the correct pronunciation !!!:eek:

Milady's Cosmetology Dvd has a part on there that covers nails. I think it is great and I make my students go over it in class to get it all down.

Doug is great!

we love you, Doug!!!

Hi Lilly,

Onycholysis is separation of the nail plate from the nail bed. It's usually caused by a physical injury or trauma (i.e. over filing) to the nail bed or an allergy. You can find a lot of information about nail diseases in my book, Nail Structure and Product Chemistry, 2cd Ed.

BTW: I am glad you're all enjoying the videos and articles. I'm releasing a new one on Tues. that I am sure you will all be interested in. So be sure to check it out!

www.DougSchoon.com

Doug

Thanks Doug, these are absolutely wonderful, a great support to all us nail techs :)

Really helpful seems basic until you actually look fab article x:lol:

knowledge is king

Brilliant!

Thanks!

Hi Lilly,

Onycholysis is separation of the nail plate from the nail bed. It's usually caused by a physical injury or trauma (i.e. over filing) to the nail bed or an allergy. You can find a lot of information about nail diseases in my book, Nail Structure and Product Chemistry, 2cd Ed.

BTW: I am glad you're all enjoying the videos and articles. I'm releasing a new one on Tues. that I am sure you will all be interested in. So be sure to check it out!

www.DougSchoon.com

Doug

Hi Mr. Schoon,
I bought your book after I have seen one of your videos-dont remember any more which one. But now I know how much I actual needed it!!!
It is really great - thanks a lot!

That's great to hear Chelios. Glad the info is helping you.
Isn't it amazing how a little extra infomation helps you understand a whole lot more!

Doug

That's great to hear Chelios. Glad the info is helping you.
Isn't it amazing how a little extra infomation helps you understand a whole lot more!

Doug

Hi again,
"a little extra information" is a huge understatement-LOL!!!:lol:
I am sure everybody will agree with me-your book is the Bible for every Nail Designer and I was lucky to find it at my very beginning.
Many thanks and keep us posted!!!

Hi everybody!

Here I am again-one year after the/my last posting here-
and I have a huge question for Mr. Schoon.
Forgive me for being such rude-to go and ask straight for the Master-
but I really think he is the only one who can answer my question.

To make it short:
>>>How is working in an hospital, as a nurse, effecting Gel enhancements?
They just dont stick-and additional in a funny way.

As a member of several nail boards in Germany and Austria-
we have all the same problem with clients who are working in this job.
In towns, where big hospitals are, every salon has a lot of clients working as nurses.
The Gel enhancements just dont stick-you can pull it off like nothing.
The ExtentionTips the same-Gel application with forms, the same.
Many different products, many different hospitals: the same problem-the same pattern.
And finally, the same result if they are wearing gloves or not.

And here comes the funny part:
-first of all, the salons do not have any problem with other clients-using the same materials and methods on the nurses.
-Nurses on vacation: the problem is gone-the enhancements stick and shine just great.
-Nurses for some time at home, not working bcs. sick etc.-no problems with the enhancements.

They go back to their jobs-the enhancements go off!

As many salons in 2 different countries are posting over and over again the same problem-I thought to post this problem here to Mr. Schoon.
Hoping to find some answer-or a direction we can search on.
Many thanks and kindest regards from Greece, Austria and Germany.:hug:
And please excuse my poor English-thank you.

I will email this page to Doug later today so he sees it. My guess is that the amount of hand disinfectant the nurses have to use every day has something to do with affecting the gel nails (would you say the problem is primarily with soak off gels or buff off gels?)

These hand disinfectants are terribly dehydrating so must be pretty powerful. Just an educated guess as my hands suffered very badly when I was going every day to the heart unit ... Had to disinfect time and again all day long dealing with my little patient.

Why they can't use something like CND Cool Blue with skin softeners in I don't know? I use CoolBlue all the time with no ill effects but it is a sanitiser as opposed to a disinfectant so not as strong a solution I suppose.

To make it short:
>>>How is working in an hospital, as a nurse, effecting Gel enhancements?
They just dont stick-and additional in a funny way.

And here comes the funny part:
-first of all, the salons do not have any problem with other clients-using the same materials and methods on the nurses.
-Nurses on vacation: the problem is gone-the enhancements stick and shine just great.
-Nurses for some time at home, not working bcs. sick etc.-no problems with the enhancements.

They go back to their jobs-the enhancements go off!

I have had clients who worked in medical environments with EXACTLY the same issues: at work- nails lift and 'fall off', on vacation- nails PERFECT.
One worked in a clinic as a secretary, so for the heck of it she tried bringing in her own personal soap.
Two weeks later, what do you know: enhancements JUST FINE and her skin was in much better condition.

I'm wondering if those 'hospitable-grade-disinfectant' soaps don't also have much of the same ingredients as some very harsh house-cleaning agents?

I will email this page to Doug later today so he sees it. My guess is that the amount of hand disinfectant the nurses have to use every day has something to do with affecting the gel nails (would you say the problem is primarily with soak off gels or buff off gels?)

These hand disinfectants are terribly dehydrating so must be pretty powerful. Just an educated guess as my hands suffered very badly when I was going every day to the heart unit ... Had to disinfect time and again all day long dealing with my little patient.

Why they can't use something like CND Cool Blue with skin softeners in I don't know? I use CoolBlue all the time with no ill effects but it is a sanitiser as opposed to a disinfectant so not as strong a solution I suppose.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for your attention and comments.

To your question-
they all are using buff off gels.

That the sanitisers at the hospitals must have something to do with this problem we all thought so. But-there is a but::confused:
and the reason why I am still not convinced you may understand from the following:
my sister owns a "sick, lost & hurt animal shelter"-what kind of dirty, hard and ...and...work that means-only a few people can imagine.
Her hands are permanent in contact with water, very strong scrubb sanitisers, petrol, grease, laque thinner and cleaner, bleach, ....short: with the strongest and most toxic liquids. Gloves?...she is wearing very seldom-bcs. too complicated. And who would expect this:
the last 5 years she has a gel-full-cover on her natural nails, length 2mm free edge, which she is refreshing every 3-4 weeks...and in between her nails are always in perfect condition-no liftings, no comming off, no problem at all!!!!!

Her skin is of course very stressed and needs a daily special treatment-but her nail cover is just great! Can you believe this? I would not- if I had not seen it with my own eyes!

My conclusion was: what chemical substance could possibly be in these hospital sanitisers, which my sister is/was not dealing with during so many years???
What nasty thing can that be???

OK-she has no tips or other kind of extensions, but again-
isnt it just crazy? If you could see her nails after 2 weeks-you would think she is the nurse. While after the second day the nurses gel comes off like pealing an orange.

I also have a gel cover on my nails, and I am (and many of my friends are) using all "forbidden" household-chemicals without wearing gloves. They gel gets matt after 3 weeks, ok, but it never came off or something like that.

Thats why I posted here my doubts-hoping to get to the real reason of
this situation with your help.
Thanks a lot for hearing me out-I really appreciate.:hug:
And sorry again for my poor English.

Fantastic - thanks for sharing. I love his Nail Chemistry book too - remember seeing him years ago in Leeds, excellent.

Me too-you cannot imagine how many cases we could solve with this book-
where nowhere else we could find any help.
Its the Nail Designer Bible-it really is!:green:

I have had clients who worked in medical environments with EXACTLY the same issues: at work- nails lift and 'fall off', on vacation- nails PERFECT.
One worked in a clinic as a secretary, so for the heck of it she tried bringing in her own personal soap.
Two weeks later, what do you know: enhancements JUST FINE and her skin was in much better condition.

I'm wondering if those 'hospitable-grade-disinfectant' soaps don't also have much of the same ingredients as some very harsh house-cleaning agents?

I agree and wonder if they are not much more nasty-or something in it- than all the household-chemicals together!:eek:

Latest posts

Back