Down Under Geeks - need your assistance please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eni

Reaction score
Warning: Novel follows, please bear with me.

As some of you know already, I trained in the US in the 1980's on IBD and then took a long break from nails (life, it gets in the way)...anyway I got myself some TT about four years ago and started practicing again (on myself and friends to see if I still *had* it) and have been pondering getting back into it.

Now, I have two things that are bugging me - one is that I am now in New Zealand and from what I can see, there aren't that many options here (as opposed to the US - economy of scale) and I live down in Wellington, and a lot of the schools are up Auckland way (or Hamilton or down in Christchurch).

So, this is the thing that I hope the Kiwi geeks can assist with (anyone really)....I know I need to get back to school and get certified before I can work in the real world because I am damn sure that my certificate and NYS licence from the 1980's are useless (if I could find them even that is...I've moved way too many times).

Basically, what I would *like* to do is trial the products that are readily available here in NZ.

So far, I can see that I can get EZ Flow and CND trial kits here in NZ. Is there anything else out there that I am missing? I see that Carl up in Oz raved about Illume, but I don't see that its available on this side of the ditch :cry:.

The thing is that I want to make an objective decision here before I drop down heaps of cash for re-training. It would suck eggs if I got myself all set up and then the products weren't readily available (as I am planning on being mobile to be honest).

Any assistance would be most appreciated. :)

Thank you, Grazi, Gracias, Merci
:)
Nancy

Hiya,
from what I have seen the big sellers here are CND, EzFlow, TT, Entity, Kym Lee/Galaxy, IBD is just making a show on the seen. Nhu-oh is also picking up but that is more for their coloured powder range for artwork. There is also Out the door, but I dont know a lot about that.

Hiya!
(are you battened down as well?....the wind looks (ha thats funny for Wellington) to be easing now).....

Anyway, what about training ops in those? I know there is an Ezflow trainer somewhere in the Hutt Valley, TT is up in Auckland, CND is up in Auckland. Anyone else in Welly world that you know of? (Don't know where you are or if you would even know, sorry).

Out the Door is the topcoat from INM isn't it? Love their Eclipse topcoat, fwiw.

Thanx
Nancy

Warning: Novel follows, please bear with me.

As some of you know already, I trained in the US in the 1980's on IBD and then took a long break from nails (life, it gets in the way)...anyway I got myself some TT about four years ago and started practicing again (on myself and friends to see if I still *had* it) and have been pondering getting back into it.

Now, I have two things that are bugging me - one is that I am now in New Zealand and from what I can see, there aren't that many options here (as opposed to the US - economy of scale) and I live down in Wellington, and a lot of the schools are up Auckland way (or Hamilton or down in Christchurch).

So, this is the thing that I hope the Kiwi geeks can assist with (anyone really)....I know I need to get back to school and get certified before I can work in the real world because I am damn sure that my certificate and NYS licence from the 1980's are useless (if I could find them even that is...I've moved way too many times).

Basically, what I would *like* to do is trial the products that are readily available here in NZ.

So far, I can see that I can get EZ Flow and CND trial kits here in NZ. Is there anything else out there that I am missing? I see that Carl up in Oz raved about Illume, but I don't see that its available on this side of the ditch :cry:.

The thing is that I want to make an objective decision here before I drop down heaps of cash for re-training. It would suck eggs if I got myself all set up and then the products weren't readily available (as I am planning on being mobile to be honest).

Any assistance would be most appreciated. :)

Thank you, Grazi, Gracias, Merci
:)
Nancy

Hi Nancy

You also have Young Nails available down under give them a wee call for some sample packs.

And good luck with which every brand you choose:hug:

:lol: yeh, it has been a bit blustery up here today.
Out the door is also a L&P line from INM. Thats about all I know.
There is also Young Nails here (sorry)but I dont know how to get in contact with them.
CND used to do training in Wellington, their head office is in Nelson, just a ferry away from you. Give them a call and see if/when the next course is being held there. It also wouldnt hurt to ring all of them and ask where and when their trainings are held. Most have a 0800 number that is free to call.

ENVY (VERY knowledgeable nail geek here on the site) is one of the CND Ambassadors in NZ and you can contact him through the site too. I'm sure he will give you the scoop on everything CND that you need to know.

Hello All,
The thread on Essential nails motivated me to get off my arse and go through the many boxes of paperwork to find my stuff.

Lo and behold I did, finally, find a copy of my beauty school certificate, showing completion with honours (thank you!) of the Nail Technician training with IBD Liquid and Powder System. and NYS license - both of which look really low tech, but hell it was 1986!. (back then, there were no photos, security features or fancy laserprinting he he).

So this is the question: A) should I just do a conversion course with a supplier (CND or EzFlow) and then seek further education with them or B) bite the damn bullet and just re-do the whole beauty school thing?

The way I see it (however warped that may well be and yes you can tell me if I am out there) is that the actual nail structure and physiology thing hasn't changed (and from what I have read, I prolly learned a lot more than some of theses school are offering now anyway). The only thing that I didn't learn back in the dark ages (yes you now can all laugh at the old hag) is gel.

The only MAIN difference I can really see is that the products have evolved quite a bit since the early 1990's when I got out of the biz. That I would need to learn about (and the practice with the new products, of course). Mind you have been doing some work on friends and family for the past four years using TT products (SalonFresh L&P and Prizma powders), but nothing "retail".

And yes, I have sent emails to various nail schools and distributors and am awaiting feedback. I will probably get on the horn on Monday when the kids are back in school (they have just finished a two week holiday - thank you god for Monday LOL) and I can have more than a 30 second telephone conversation.

Thoughts?

Merci, Gracias, Thank you,

Nancy :)

If you wanted to trial Illume you could contact them via their website to see if they can supply you there. They are extremely helpful www.hawley.net.au
I happen to believe that it is worth the 'rave from Carl in Oz' I have changed over to Illume after trialling may different products because of allergies.
The hugest thing for me is that none of the range causes any allergies in me and the second thing is that it is brilliant.
Karen xx

Latest posts

Back