Drugs and nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salpep

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a lady whose nails I have serviced and she had L&P, a week later they pretty much all came off apart from 2. I re-done her nails for free as I wasn't sure if it was my work (I haven't been doing nails long, that is in the big wild world) Anyway she called again today to say that one had come off and the others was looking tatty and needed a infill, I know my prep is good I make sure everything is squeaky clean. But my problem is that when I spoke to her today it sounded like she was on drugs, voice was all slow etc..I'm thinking it sounds like she on cannabis or something.
So my question really is would that effect her nails like this?

:hug:

Cannabis would not make her nails last a shorter time,
are you sure she is not on any anti depressants ?

Hello

Loubylou, I just checked her record card and I have noted that she takes something for Thiriod, would that effect her nails?
I guess I need to go ask her some more questions, my bad for not digging further in the first place

thyroid even....She didn't sound like this the first two times I saw her, just today she sounded really slow voiced

Yes love thyroid meds interfere with nails and can cause lifting :hug:

Last edited:
i take thyroid tabs and my nails seem to lift very easy.. have to re do them every week or so :( .....

I take Thyroid meds too and have a bit more lifting than normal (gels). I certainly don't talk like I'm on drugs though lol!

When clients first come to me I get them to fill out a registration card and record any meds on that. I also ask them to update me if anything changes.

I would ask her to bring you up to date with her medical details.

thyroid even....She didn't sound like this the first two times I saw her, just today she sounded really slow voiced

My mum takes meds for her thyroid, hers is underactive. If she has forgotten to take her tablets or when her meds were not at the right level her speech becomes slurred and she has trouble doing things like simple adding of change etc so this may be the case with your client. I believe (although could be miss-informed!!) with overactive, if the meds are incorrect or missed then the body goes onto a high rather than the low that underactive thyroid get.

With regards nails, my mum could not keep enhancements on for love nor money until she got her meds exactly right. They would lift and fall clean off. If this continues to happen with your client and, as she has already declared this diagnosis to you, perhaps you could suggest she refer back to her doctor as you have noted a change in the way her nails are reacting and you believe it is in connection to her thyriod problems.

hth's

Kelly x

I would like to thank everyone for all the advise.

I will for sure be asking her some more questions when I see her next, I guess this is a lesson to me to make sure I ask more indepth questions when I get a new client.

kelly thank-you also that was a very imformative read, It would make sense if that was the case, so I will deff go ask more of her.

Just a quick question while I'm here, Is it something in the meds or just meds in general that change the balance of the nails?

xx

Different medications will make changes in the state of your nails, skin & hair.

I have noticed that those on thyroid meds and anti-depressants will have lifting issues.
I have a client (and long time friend) upon whom we have tried EVERYTHING under the sun (uv gel, tip-n-dip & L&P) and NOTHING sticks.
I have tried bonders, primers of all kinds... she lifts well before day 7 every time.

It drives me bonkers. But it is, what it is... not much I can do about it, unfortunately.

I would like to thank everyone for all the advise.

I will for sure be asking her some more questions when I see her next, I guess this is a lesson to me to make sure I ask more indepth questions when I get a new client.

kelly thank-you also that was a very imformative read, It would make sense if that was the case, so I will deff go ask more of her.

Just a quick question while I'm here, Is it something in the meds or just meds in general that change the balance of the nails?

xx

If you are asking specificically regarding this client and her Thyroid problems the condition rather than the drug causes brittle, soft nails with a shine and at times no moon (mainly with an overactive thyroid) Nails that separate from the nail bed could also indicate a thyroid disorder.

Looking at these factors, shine - brittle - soft, I think this is why putting enhancements onto clients with thyroid issues are a problem. With regards my mum, when she has hers done I pay particular attention to the prep but am always prepared to have a few missing or a phone call in between infills to repair!

hth's

Kelly x

Latest posts

Back