E file versus nail file ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanne...

Reaction score
Hi all, do nail tec's who have had training in using e files think they are bad for the natural nail?? Or is it only the nail tec's who havn't used one or had the training that think they are bad?? I think they are much better than nail files you can see exactly where you have filed...

I use an e-file and honestly cant think why I would want to use a e-file on the natural nail.
I'm not talking damage, I've been to the young nails stand, had them show me the file they use on the natural nail and can agree that it is so fine that in a trained hand it won't do any damage.
But its all about timing. I can pick up my hand file and remove shine with it.
Or I can pick up my e-file, fit my natural file bit, remove shine then change the bit to the one I would use for shaping.............
So I use hand files for the natural nail, its quicker. I use a hand file to shape, because the way I've been taught to apply product I really don't have that much filing to do and I don't cut in a smile line, I use the reverse application method so it's not needed.
In fact the only thing I do use my e-file for is de-bulking on the re balance and for that my e-file is a god send I really couldn't manage with out it.

Hi have never used an e-file on a natural nail. I have always prepared the natural nail with a 240grit hand file and filed in the direction of nail growth, to have the least impact/trauma to the nail plate. I have difficulty understanding how an e-file preparation on a natural nail would be equivalent to or less impact to the natural nail.

Yes I have had e-file training, however I still choose to do all prep, and finishing with a hand file. I use an e-file to debulk when I have a client from another salon and I am faced with a mountain:mad: of product to file.

I personally do not find any time difference rebalancing my enhancements by hand or e-file.

I use an e-file on the natural nail and I never do damage. I have a diamond bit prepper barrel that is made especially for the natural nail. I found that I am able to get so much more cuticle off the nail plate and I am able to get the corners of the eponychium so, so clean. Training is essential when using an e-file and it really should be required by law before anyone uses one (that's just my opinion). I believe strongly on this point because before I did my training, I damaged the heck out of my own nails trying to figure out how to use it!

I know many wonderful techs who prefer to use a hand file on the natural nail and they do a fantastic job - but for me its an e-file all the way!

You can do just as much damage with a hand file as an e-file.

HIYA,

Where did u buy your e-file from, as i am thinking of buyin gone.

Well if you can see where you have been with the efile then you have damaged the nails ... hardly a great reason for using one, I would have thought.

I am a trained e file user (trained by supposedly one of the best US efile trainers) and I do not use it for natural nail prep (or much else either for that matter). I've had my Shesto efile for almost 12 years and I can count on 2 hands the number of times I have used it for prep !!

I personally would never use an efile/drill on the natural nail no matter what kind of bit it had on it. I can remove all the cuticle I need to by hand and whats more, gently and thoroughly. And guess what? You can't see where I have been. :rolleyes:

I used to have and was trained I might add with an e-file, but after 1 go with it, didnt find the need for it, its just as quick and safer (IMO) to use a hand file, you can prep a nail just as quick, if not quicker using the good old fashioned method, ......................by hand.

I sold my e-file, as i didnt find it any use at all

Thanks for your comments, think i may swap to a 240 grit file anything that is less damaging to the natural nail sounds good to me, whats the best technique to use and the best make of file? just another question do you think that different brands of nail products require more prep than others to avoid lifting?

Latest posts

Back