E Reader? Kindle etc

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxcetera

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this post.

Does anyone have an e-reader?

I read a lot, when I say a lot, I mean like 2-3 books per week ;) am addicted to paranormal romance :D

I went to a friends yesterday who had an e-reader for christmas, wow! Now I want one (as you do lol)

I'm torn though between, a samsung slide e60 wifi, which is a nifty little thing, its sold by whsmiths but you can buy books from a lot of different places and download onto this one (including via wifi :D) or the Kindle from Amazon, much nicer to look at, thinner, easier to hold by the looks of it and weighs less, BUT you are stuck buying books from Amazon, but then what books can't you get from amazon?

Currently, most of my books, a good friend lends me, as in a whole authors worth at a time, she's said, if I had the same one as her, you are allowed to share, so I could download the books she buys.

Anyone any advice on either model?

thanks x

My stepdaughter had a Kindle for Christmas and she adores it. I've had a quick play and must say I like it too. You can change the font and the size and it reads to you too although at the moment it sounds like Stephen Hawking

Hubby is currently looking at ways to convert pdf books to Kindle format so she will have a really wide range

HTH's :hug:

My stepdaughter had a Kindle for Christmas and she adores it. I've had a quick play and must say I like it too. You can change the font and the size and it reads to you too although at the moment it sounds like Stephen Hawking

Hubby is currently looking at ways to convert pdf books to Kindle format so she will have a really wide range

HTH's :hug:

Thanks for that :D
The kindle seems easier to hold and its prettier to look at, just wondered about being stuck with amazon. Going to the shop to have a look at the samsung one today, if I like the feel of it, will get that, if not back home and order the kindle I think :lol:

I got a Kindle for Christmas and its brilliant. You can also download some newspapers and magazines. Some books are only £1.00 and other books I've downloaded are so much cheaper than paperbacks. Once you get over that mental block of not having to turn a page its great. I can't put mine down and have a lovely pink leather case for it too.

You can also get a free kindle app on your iPhone/itouch/iPad,
It takes you to the kindle page where u can buy the books etc.

If you wanted to try before you buy lol

Louise x

I have an iPad and use the reader on that; although it will never replace the love I have for paper books it's quite handy for train journeys!

I've been thinking about a kindle, could anyone who has one tell me if they are ok in terms of eye strain..if I send too much time on the computer I end up with headaches and eye pain...wondered whether I would have similar problems.....I've read that the kindle screen is the best in terms of glare etc, but at the end of the day what I've read is marketing!!

Thanks x

I've been thinking about a kindle, could anyone who has one tell me if they are ok in terms of eye strain..if I send too much time on the computer I end up with headaches and eye pain...wondered whether I would have similar problems.....I've read that the kindle screen is the best in terms of glare etc, but at the end of the day what I've read is marketing!!

Thanks x

The Kindle doesn't have any glare at all :) I noticed that the first time I saw my stepdaughter's as I suffer from migraines and can't cope with anything glaring or flickering. You need natural daylight just like a paper book and the anti glare means you can read it it in full sunlight i.e. on a beach holiday.

You can buy cases which come with a little reading light so you can read at night in bed, car passenger etc
:hug:

The Kindle doesn't have any glare at all :) I noticed that the first time I saw my stepdaughter's as I suffer from migraines and can't cope with anything glaring or flickering. You need natural daylight just like a paper book and the anti glare means you can read it it in full sunlight i.e. on a beach holiday.

You can buy cases which come with a little reading light so you can read at night in bed, car passenger etc
:hug:

My brother in law got the kindle for Xmas. It does look pretty cool and very nice to hold. Very light. I'm thinking insane one now. Lol. I've downloaded the app on my iPhone to see how I get on with that. If I keep using it I think I'll be getting a kindle.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I bought my hubbie the Kindle for Xmas, and he loves it! He has downloaded lots for free or at a ridiculously low price. It also has a pdf reader on it, so is able to read all his scientific work papers and we can now say goodbye to the stacks of papers that have taken up residence in our dining room. :)
I got him the more expensive version, it has 3G and WiFi, which means he can order and download direct from the Kindle.

I would recommend getting the light and case for it though, as it is liquid paper you really need bright daylight to read, just like a book. Don't buy the official Kindle one, as it is really expensive, you can buy an unbranded one: on Amazon, for £17.99.

Yes, the one with the 3G and wifi is well worth the extra money. I didn't realise you can get a light for it. I shall get the light for bedtime reading.

whoops, my finger just slipped on the "order" button!!! :wink2::lol: Oh well, I have a few train journeys coming up in the next couple of months, so it will get good use!!!

whoops, my finger just slipped on the "order" button!!! :wink2::lol: Oh well, I have a few train journeys coming up in the next couple of months, so it will get good use!!!

Lol. I think mine might slip soon too... :green:

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I had a Kindle for Christmas and I love it! What makes it so easy to read from (compared to a pc/laptop/phone) is that it's not backlit, so doesn't strain your eyes.

I have the wifi not 3g one, which means I can download books when I'm at home or anywhere with wifi, but not if I were abroad. That's not a problem for me, I'll load it before I go on my holiday.....

Mine is in a case but I don't have a light - might need to investigate one!

All in all it's ace!

I had a Kindle for Christmas and I love it! What makes it so easy to read from (compared to a pc/laptop/phone) is that it's not backlit, so doesn't strain your eyes.

I have the wifi not 3g one, which means I can download books when I'm at home or anywhere with wifi, but not if I were abroad. That's not a problem for me, I'll load it before I go on my holiday.....

Mine is in a case but I don't have a light - might need to investigate one!

All in all it's ace!

Do you know if I download books onto my pc then put them on the kindle am I able to read them on my pc too providing I download the software, or does it only allow you to read it on one device?? Hope that makes sense??? x

Providing you have you're wifi on (not sure if same with 3G one as I don't have that) your kindle will sync to your amazon account, next time you put on your laptop it will sync with your account too and will have saved how far into your book you are, then again when you go back to your kindle it will have saved what you read on your laptop (all providing you have an Internet connection)! I LOVE my kindle! I wouldn't be without it now :) xx

And for reading in the bath, he puts it in a zip lok sandwich bag!

Ha ha, that's fab......I didn't realise you could access email and browse net on there aswell.....ooooh v excited now!!!!

I've ordered a case that stands up, I have carpal tunnel and stupid as it sounds sometimes holding a book for a length of time flares it up. It doesn't have a light but I have a clip on booklight already so will use that if needs be.

Hi

I got the sony ereader pocket size for xmas and I love it!!

I read between 2-5 books a week and its fab!

You need to get a reader with the e-ink pearl as that the best apparantly i read up on them here before choosing:

The guide to the best ebook readers - Ebook Readers Review

if you get an ereader from sony you can download pdf books from file sharing sites for free (you get some kindle books on them too) but it wont read kindle books.

I have had it 3 weeks and read 19 books so far all free!

The librarys have in the pipeline too that you will be able to download a book from them but not sure if this will be in pdf or kindle format. Pdf i would think as its the most widely used.

Hope this helps

ps I like paranormal too!

blimey, more popular than I thought :D

I went for the Samsung E60 Slide ereader in the end. I love it :D

Am struggling setting it up a bit though. I'm able to order and download via wifi, but have ordered a couple of books, that went into the adobe digital editions but can't get them out of there into the ereader :(

I do need to buy a case and would LOVE one with a light on, but had trouble even finding a case for this model, never mind a light one.

It's my new best friend :D

Latest posts

Back