Education Decisions...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gem81

Reaction score
Hello Everybody. I've got quite a big decision to make in the near future regarding my education and despite being pretty sure of the way I want to go, I'd be stupid not to pick your brains and get your opinions on the matter.

I've completed my VTCT Nail Treatments course at college already this year and on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week I did my CND foundation L&P training with Amanda Fontanarrosa (I'm so lucky that she lives just down the road!!). I found the CND training a totally fantastic experience and to be honest I found it more rewarding and educational than a whole year at college.

The thing is, I have already been offered a place for the VTCT Nail Technology course that starts in September. I can't decide whether I should accept or decline the offer. As it stands I think I will decline the offer and focus on practising the skills that Amanda has taught me but before I make this decision I thought I'd run it past you guys.

Any opinions would be greatfully recieved,

Thanks!

Hi gem, this is a tricky one, TBH, if you are already mobile that means that you are already practicing and if you do the VTC nail technology course in September this will further enhance your knowledge. If I were in your position I would go for it :lol: because knowledge is power :hug:

This is true, although on the other hand Amanda had to correct alot of my prior knowledge due to the fact that things have moved on since my tutors were educated! For example, filing technique. No longer is it deemed correct to 'swipe' the file from the outside in as I was taught. So in that respect going back to college may not be a wise move as what they teach may contradict CND's teaching which tbh has to be respected above all other! Knowledge is power as long as it is correct! :D

From what you have said and what I have experienced of CND education I'd carry on with the CND path.

Good luck with whatever you decide:)

This is true, although on the other hand Amanda had to correct alot of my prior knowledge due to the fact that things have moved on since my tutors were educated! For example, filing technique. No longer is it deemed correct to 'swipe' the file from the outside in as I was taught. So in that respect going back to college may not be a wise move as what they teach may contradict CND's teaching which tbh has to be respected above all other! Knowledge is power as long as it is correct! :D

Good point b gem, things have moved on and it is a gamble going on a course and not knowing which method they use, well, good luck with your decision. :)

I have been in the same situation x
I origionally did my training with CND Ambassador Carmen Parker who is an amazing educator. I did manicure and pedicure but i think at the time the certificates were more product based than treatment based and I actually wanted a certificate qualifying me in the treatments.(not so for Acrylic etc)
I went to college to do NVQ manicure and pedicure and it was so strange! The techniques they taught were mad; for example buffing the nail before soaking :irked: But in order to gain the certificate I just left at the door what I knew and for that lesson did what I had to do.
It is more difficult to do these courses if you are having to work this way rather than if you knew nothing before hand :eek: but I think if you choose to do the course offered it will add to your portfolio and you will be seen as a tech that goes out of her way to keep up her levels of training, which is so important.
The most difficult part when you go to courses that are covering your old ground so to speak! is that you have to try and bite your tounge and not shout out at every opportunity and look like your up your own a*se :lol: not that i did this heehee
I always think to myself if I sit on a class all day and learn just one new piece of information then that day has been worth it
Let us all know how you get on ...

Good Luck Jo x
Ps we see saw on the nail as the boards used are such a low level of abrasive. If you were using a rougher abrasive then you would file from side to middle still. Yes a*se I know !!!!!

Thanks! It had crossed my mind how important that piece of paper would be! But also, it's a very expensive piece of paper. I don't know if my funds can really stretch that far. My first course cost £400 and my foundation l&p was quite expensive (despite being worth every penny). I don't think I can physically find another £400 by the beginning of september. The kit costs about £300 alone (and I'm pretty sure the products are going to be from the cheaper end of the market). I'm sure I could get a loan from somewhere but it's just another issue tipping the scales. Gosh I can't make my mind up and my induction has supposed to be on Tuesday!

Hi Gem 81,
My advice, and it is only that, is to stay on the CND path... do all you can with CND if you are happy with the products... and like you said.... a foundation CND was better than a whole year at college...
Good luck with what you decide..

Hello Everybody. I've got quite a big decision to make in the near future regarding my education and despite being pretty sure of the way I want to go, I'd be stupid not to pick your brains and get your opinions on the matter.

I've completed my VTCT Nail Treatments course at college already this year and on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week I did my CND foundation L&P training with Amanda Fontanarrosa (I'm so lucky that she lives just down the road!!). I found the CND training a totally fantastic experience and to be honest I found it more rewarding and educational than a whole year at college.

The thing is, I have already been offered a place for the VTCT Nail Technology course that starts in September. I can't decide whether I should accept or decline the offer. As it stands I think I will decline the offer and focus on practising the skills that Amanda has taught me but before I make this decision I thought I'd run it past you guys.

Any opinions would be greatfully recieved,

Thanks!
having done some trainning with amanda when she was on my doorstep !!, i would focus on all that she can give you, that will be sooooooooooooooooooooo much more benifital for your learning and your career

very good comments, you are right a lot of collage teachers have never had a refresher trainning and the collage are unwilling or able to invest i there devepment despite the fact that they need trainning for there cpd points !

Personally I'd do the private training..not all colleges are up to date with their stuff.....mine wasn't
I'll say no more:)

Now you have found Amanda, stay with her, she trained me through to all of my Masters and she is an absolute doll, you really will get the best if you stay with her.

This one really made me think as I've done so many product companies and ITEC and now am a teacher :rolleyes:.............. I think do the course at college. Yes your educator could be a lil stagnate but the content is worth its weight and I just dont believe that a product company will go into the detail that you will learn on the college course.
I always say and will continue to say - get your qualifications then enbark on as many product companies that you like.

Amanda is a fantastic teacher and you will probably be driven to earn the extra money so you can train with her so you win both ways.

I did the VTCT nail treatments this year too. I did CND conversion in July and am starting the level 3 next week. The level 3 nail treatments covers L&P,gel and fibreglass plus maintenance, along with business studies. We are also doing airbrush tanning and 3D advanced nail art.

We are working with CND for gel and L&P using the techniques taught to the tutor by Sweet Squared,ie the same I was taught for conversion. I decided to do the course to build my skills up to as high a level as possible. You might want to check which systems they are using at your college. Chances are if its CND you will be building on the knowledge learnt on your foundation course and the college training will then be worthwhile. Good Luck, whatever you decide!!!

Latest posts

Back