Education... what did you do in the beginning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Education, what did you do in the beginning?

• Untrained

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 1 or 2 day course

Votes: 67 14.0%
  • college course

Votes: 195 40.6%
  • 4 day or more course

Votes: 194 40.4%

• Total voters
thought it might be interesting to find out where everyone started when choosing education.
so kind of following on from Sassy's recent Education Article, where did you start off?

Hi all, I had a cosmetogy course many years ago, and while I practiced and taught cosmetology then, I did a bit of "tips" and acrylic- it was all very new then and who thought it would last? LOL!
Last summer I took a 300 hour course in "nail technology" It is a requirement in this province and includes manicure, pedicure, diseases and of course all the bacteriology, sanitation etc. as required. The therory was more in depth than the practical really, and soon learned I needed a couple of one on one's to help me.
The product I trained in was LCN, and since then have worked in Briza and will do the official 1st training in it in Sept. Work in almost all gel.

I believe the regulations across Canada are all quite strict and you won't find too many unlicienced techs here.

I believe the regulations across Canada are all quite strict and you won't find too many unlicienced techs here.

Although we are still required to take a class.... most provinces do not have any licensing in place. I'm in BC, and we were deregulated about 4 years ago... and believe me, there are many unlicensed techs out there... pretty scary.

My Course sounds a bit different to most people here it was 3 months full time we trained in mani & pedis, sculptures, l&p, gels, all wraps, nail art, air brushing, electric drill & massage. We had to do 100 sets of nails before we finished and had to have our times down. my course provided all models and we received full acrylic, and pedicure kits worth over AUS$500.

Oh and also had to have a very extensive knowledge in all nail diseases, sanitation, product breakdown (ie what chemicals are in the products), courses in OH&S, retail and management of salons, could go on for ages but to much to list!!!

Plus if anything new comes out on the market or you are not feeling all that confident in any areas you can go back at any time for one on one training completly free of charge.

I chose untrained because in the beginning I was untrained and I practiced on my nails and family and friends nails until I decided to go to beauty school to get my license...which I still haven't gotten :rolleyes: Hopefully next year I will be able to go to school full-time, get my license and open my shop...everybody keep your fingers crossed!!! :lol:

I just finished a 16-week course that included acrylics, wraps, gels, nail art, electric file:EVERYTHING. I have a Certificate for everything and have to go get licensed by the state I live in on Nov 6th. I loved school, but there is so much out there for me to learn I'm sure!

I just finished a 16-week course that included acrylics, wraps, gels, nail art, electric file:EVERYTHING. I have a Certificate for everything and have to go get licensed by the state I live in on Nov 6th. I loved school, but there is so much out there for me to learn I'm sure!
You are right there will still be a lot to learn....I personally think that we go on learning ALL the time and really need to keep up with the newest ideas in the nail industry which is evolving all the time.:)

I started doing a PT NVQ course in beauty therapy, then did a 4 day course with Alida, to add another string to my bow, i was going to do a VTCT course but after reading the mixed reviews on it on here i decided that i would go ahead and do the Foundation Course with Creative, as it seemed to be a more consistant learning package.

Vicky x

i had always wanted to doing beauty courses since leaving school but for one reason or another it didn't happen

but then once my daughter started primary school i decided to bite the bullet and in feb 2005 i enrolled on a manicure/pedciure course and also a cosmetic makeup course

i have done more college courses since then and i am loving every minute of my studies

i was a bit unsure of what to put as my course i did at college but it was a 4 day course.i did 3days learning then i continued at home for just over 2months practicing and written work,then the 4th day was my assessment day.i choose to vote college.i learnt about hygiene,nail diseases/disorders,contra-actions/indications,nail anatoymy/physiology,health and safety.the understanding of products,application and maintenance of acrylic and fibreglass enhancements.plus loads more and im still learning new things everyday and i love it.:)

I initially started a college course and did nvq 2 in beauty therapy which included manicures and pedicures.

I then did nvq 3 but didnt do nail enhancements as we had the choice of doing epilation or nails...i chose epilation,not that im regreting that but i felt the training for nails wasnt really good.

Since then have done numerous product and conversion courses with different companies.

i enjoy education immensely i feed off it and my minds all a buzz:idea:

Since coming on here several months ago,i have never found a site so amazing.Ive learnt more about nails and it has wetted my appetite so much so,i want to learn more:)

I did a 5 day acrylic course with a creative teacher and a 3 day Gel course with the same lady in a class of five people at a beauty supply shop. it was very intense but i will be futhering my education when i find the right course. :)

I did a years College course which covered Make up Manicure and pedicure it was IHBC we even did eyelash tinting and massage it was excellent.
The teacher was fantastic, very hot on Contraindications and nail diseases ect
we had to sit a written exam at the end of the course.
After the exam one girl said to us all;
"That lunula question in the written exam? it is something you get on your cheeks isnt it"?:lol: awww

I realized I liked nail extensions And I took further training course I did this because I had already done mani and pedi , The course wasn't up to the standards I expected (Its a small world so I wont mention any names)

I realized what a costly mistake that acrylic nail course was,
the only good thing about it was I got a really good study booklet which is fantastic .
I shall take further training when I can afford it. and I want to be able to choose with confidence the best suitable product for me to use
Until then I shall play around with my training kit and my training hand as I really love doing nails:hug:

I trained at college doing my HND in Beauty and management. To be assessed to become a "nail tech" i had to do 1 NAIL!! :eek: obv not enough so went and worked with a well respected (in my area) competition winner, got a lot of good basic experience (and bad habits) but got itchy feet to learn more so left and decided to take the plunge and retrain from scratch with CND doing a 5 day foundation!! quite scary to invest again in basic training as had been doing tip and overlays sucessfully for more than a year; after retraining got a job at my educators salon ... best £500 i've spent!!

:lol:

I did the Creative Manicure & Pedicure Spa days and then a 5 day L&P followed by the Brisa Gel course, I followed this with the custom blending and then a nail decoration day. I was lucky enough to do these on a 1.2.1 basis.
It was all very intense but well worth it, and though I do feel that I have soooo much more to learn finding this site has also been a massive help.
There is loads more I want (and need) to learn but I feel I had probably one of the best starts with Creative and love what I do.

I trained on the Creative 5 day L&P course with Diane Plummer, then did my manicure and pedicure a month later, its an ongoing process, Im much happier with my work but not where I want to be, I have had two 121 sessions too and intend to have more in the furture.

I started with a one day course around five years ago, had a certificate to say I was qualified, but afetr getting a few complaints, :evil: discovered that this wasn't good enough.... Luckily I didn't give up, even though my confidence was knocked!!!!:smack:

I then attended an NVQ advanced nail technician course, and then went on to train with CND. I love nails and have now had my salon for three years. I update my training regularly, did my Masters last year, and am now completing my PGCE teaching course teaching nail technology at a local college. I Will be entering my first competition in March!!!:Scared:

Thank god I didn't give up after such a bad start!!!...... :biggrin:
Sue x

***** wow, a one day course and they/you thought you could do nails?
Am glad you didn't give up.

I have done nails for 14 yrs now.
I did my own for yrs, I like wraps so If I had a break, I would go and have it fixed.
I prefer wrap on a natural nail person. For lots of reasons.

I learned to do it myself.. Have always loved nails and polish.
At the time I was going to go back into the work force.. my son had turned 10 and I wanted to get out of the house ( had been a stay at home mom/wife), I chose nails.

( now I would encourage everyone going into the business to take a full cosmetology course.. then specialize)

At the time state certification was 120 hrs, Theory, classroom/tests, hands on and sanitation.
I believe I still have the highest final test score at the school 198 out 200.
:)
I have worked at days spas, nail salons, full service salons.. I started Nailtechs Networking the Internet.. a gathering of nailtechs from around the world, in Orlando Florida - Premiere show. Doing seminars, the event/breakfast, networking.
I brought together the nailtechs from all over the world.. to Orlando and the companys who they purchase from.
Extremely successful and goes on today every Premiere show!

Many of the well known mega nail business's featured their newest products of the season at Nailtech Networking the Internet Events.

I was able to freelance for Nails and Nailpro as well as nailbiz magazines.
Mentor and travel with in the USA.

I believe the thing I am most known for is the Nailtech Network event.

I loved doing gel nails.. love doing wraps.. tollerate doing acrylics, but...only if I must!
I prefer to do natural nails any day.
Give me a manicure or pedicure and am a very happy nailtech.. and yes I can make as much doing a mani/pedi and be so much happier!

I now own my own nail business.. and do it part time.

Remember I did 120 hrs to be licensed
Now my state of Florida requires 240 hr class to be licensed to do nails. I think it should be raised to 400- 600 hrs.

This is my opinion..and I know education is important ( trust me I think everyone should take extra classes yearly) but taking a class and getting a certificate.. doesn't seem like enough .. to be a Nailtech.

If you were "educated" as above.. I can understand why you would be confused and feel uninformed. It would be like feeding you to the wolves, after buttering u up! lol

Requiring at least 25 hrs in continuing education per yr and 25 hrs hands on / sets of nails/ 25 hrs manicures/pedicures hands on. Maybe more! :confused:

Thank you for "listening"
Karol

Sue x[/quote]

I did the 400 hour course in the USA. I learned a great deal of chemical and physiology/anatomy. I also was taught all aspects of nail treatments from enhancements to the spa manicure. We were also taught pedicures and all the physiology and anatomy for feet and legs. After passing all the college courses I then had to go to the State Board and do another exam which if you pass you are issued a license to practice. Then the State Board will come around the salons and make sure your practising to code cuz if your not you will be fined and if your fined allot then you will loose your license. I trained at a private for profit college that happened to use CND products. I have been in the trade for 24 years and every year I still do my Continual Professional developement. I am in the SW of England and it is sometimes difficult to get to the course because they are mostly pretty far away.
I'm all for college instruction.:)

I'm just starting my course, Yesturday was my first day! I't was all theory but loving it already!!
First part of the course goes for 6 weeks, 3 days a week. Second part (management etc.) goes for 3 weeks, 2 days a week. I think we are using IBD products.
It is done at a Beauty College, so i chose College Course :D

I started with a college course covering all the basics, manicure,pedicure & technology. We did all the systems,then i carried on with the nail art course. They are all level 2 vtct quals. I have just been on the 2 day Calgel course & really enjoyed it. It's expensive to train and buy products, but i love it. I much prefer gel to L&P. I have so much to learn but I love doing nails x

I went to a London college 5 day intensive course. As I was totally new to the industry after hitting 40 and wanting to get out of Travel after 20 years, this seemed the way forward. It cost my husband quite a bit and I felt it gave me the basics.. I am still learning and I am looking forward to a conversion with creative..for L & P not sure on other systems as liked L& P seems stronger. I did look at En Vogue at the travel show, seemed impressive as gel goes but decided not to jump in with feet first, plus they seemed new and didn't seem to have many training venues set up. Anyone else know of them?
I was going to try acrygel, but the supplier cancelled at the last minute..due to lack of interest. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise and someone was trying to tell me something. I was refunded however, but very frustrating !
I have found this website helpful ... picking everyones' brains.

:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back