Excessive shrinkage with Calgel ... Why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jancie

Reaction score
Hi,

Why is my calgel shrinking ? I prep nails then put a thin wetting layer of colour not curing then another layer of colour curing for 3 mins then 2nd layer curing for 3 mins any help or ideas would be great.

Thank you in advance
Janice x

With Calgel it could be a number of things. Main ones that spring to mind are;
  • Applying it to thickly
  • Not capping your free edge well enough
  • Over curing
Calgel can give the same effect as shrinking has if you do any of the above.

What colour are you using?Some colours shrink more than others.

Also try doing just 2 nails at a time so that soon as they are covered they go into the lamp before the gel has pulled back from the free edge.
or one at a time if you prefer.

Sometimes using a dehydrator as well as Calguard can help.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies the colour that seems to be the worse is No 37

Thanks Janice x

There is no shrinkage with Shellac at all. and THE LAMP CURES ALL 5 FINGERS OR TOES AT ONCE SAVING LOTS OF TIME.

Last edited:
I thought it was a 2 min cure with each layer unless they have changed lamps since I trained last year? I always did 4 nails, then before curing around the edge to make sure it was properly capped then cured hthxx
p.s have now moved to shellac and tbh its much better than calgel imo! xx

I thought it was a 2 min cure with each layer unless they have changed lamps since I trained last year?

Calgel has always been a 3 minute cure gel. Nothing has been changed.

In regards shrinkage, another little thing that I do is to apply a quick layer of thin clear gel before applying any colour, the clear gel provides a platform for the colour gel to 'grab' on to therefore resulting in less shrinkage.

sorry your right was half asleep last night and got confused with the shellac curing time lol xx

Hi,

Thanks for the replies the colour that seems to be the worse is No 37

Thanks Janice x

thought as much, I dont buy this one for that reason. I have had it.

Some colours are glass like and some are full of pigment and it the latter ones that shrink the most if at all. Not all of them just a small few.

Try doing 3 very thin coats instead of the normal 2.

In regards shrinkage, another little thing that I do is to apply a quick layer of thin clear gel before applying any colour, the clear gel provides a platform for the colour gel to 'grab' on to therefore resulting in less shrinkage.

I do the same by applying a little clear gel prior to the colour. This way you won't need to apply a wetting layer for the colour.

So, your procedure will be:
Thin clear lay to include initial wetting with 30 sec cure each finger.
Ist colour layer - no wetting layer needed as you will not have wiped the sticky from the clear. Do one finger at a time and flash cure for 30 secs between each finger before final 3 minute cure at the end of 1st colour layer.
2nd colour layer, again flash curing between each finger with final 3 minute cure at the end.
Wipe off sticky and apply High Gloss.

Remember with all layers, to cap over free edge.

I do the same by applying a little clear gel prior to the colour. This way you won't need to apply a wetting layer for the colour.

So, your procedure will be:
Thin clear lay to include initial wetting with 30 sec cure each finger.
Ist colour layer - no wetting layer needed as you will not have wiped the sticky from the clear. Do one finger at a time and flash cure for 30 secs between each finger before final 3 minute cure at the end of 1st colour layer.
2nd colour layer, again flash curing between each finger with final 3 minute cure at the end.
Wipe off sticky and apply High Gloss.

Remember with all layers, to cap over free edge.

I do the same i can do a full set of nno in about 45 mins now with the thumbs separate and flat to make sure they are properly cured in the outer corners.

Last edited:
Silly question perhaps but when you flash cure, do you stick the finger in for 30 secs, wait and then carry on, or do you flash cure and whilst that's in the lamp do gel on another nail on the opposite hand?

Does that make sense? Sorry...:|

Latest posts

Back