Exhausted from doing too much massage - how much is acceptable

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea27

Reaction score
Hi,
as I am writing this my whole back and my wrists are sore. I have done 16 full body massages in the past 2 days with only half an hour break.
Is that acceptable? Is that normal? Because if it is then I don't really want to work in a salon. I got a terrible backache at the end of the day and couldn't even sleep at night , I was so sore. I have 5 min time in between clients - to get the room ready and have a quick glass of water.
When I looked at my schedule, it is not really going to change. It's massage, massage and massage.
Today is my day off but I now have to suffer with this backache and sore hands and wrists. How much massage do you do in a day? How much would you say is acceptable? Any advice is very much appreciated.

What did you get hired to be?
If it was a massage therapist then yes you should expect it to be like this all the time :( our tutor warned us about this as she was once hired as a massage therapist in a spa and said it was a nightmare!

I am self employed so I kind of work my own book, the girls in the salon know not to book me in for any more than 3 massages!

If your body can't handle it (not surprisingly!) then you'll have to speak up, they have a duty of care to you.

Kim xx

Hello,

The law in the UK at the mo, states 20 minute break entitlement for every 4 hours worked.

In this line of work, that can prove difficult... Walk-ins etc

If you are experiencing pain, it's too much! You need a break and a rest!

Is your couch at right height for you? I always forget to put mine back up again and then wonder why my back hurts, doh!

Try to enjoy your day off...

Get a hot water bottle and a couple of Nurofen xxx

I got hired as a beauty therapist - it's not a massage salon. We do all sorts of treatments but people just seem to book in for massage.
I do make sure my couch is the correct height, but after doing a couple of massages I start to get sore and the last one is just a big struggle for me.

I got hired as a beauty therapist - it's not a massage salon. We do all sorts of treatments but people just seem to book in for massage.
I do make sure my couch is the correct height, but after doing a couple of massages I start to get sore and the last one is just a big struggle for me.

Is it being shared out evenly so all beauty therapists are doing as much massage as you?
If not maybe you could asks for that, say that your struggling with so much physical work?
X

I worked in a Spa in Crete and it was exactly the same - massage all day long..
It was tiring and exhausting especially when American clients often did not like the air conditioning being on and having to do a 90 minute deep tissue massage in a treatment room in those temperatures. I was trained in Lomi lomi massage as well so I included some of these techniques within my massage so it took the pressure of my hands and thumbs. There is a no hand massage technique and I have read some threads on here about it so it might be worth looking at some training in that and it may help from that respect.
Even though I dont do so much massage myself now as its mainly waxing I still spend 10 hours a day stretching over a treatment couch and have the same back issues so I have a sports massage every saturday when I finish and I find it really helpful for sorting out my back pain problems. Perhaps you may be able to arrange a swap with a colleague for a back massage yourself it may help a little..

Good luck and I hope it gets resolved...

Jack

Last edited:
Is it being shared out evenly so all beauty therapists are doing as much massage as you?
If not maybe you could asks for that, say that your struggling with so much physical work?
X
It's tricky - there is 2 of us working at the same time, but the other girl does a treatment I am not qualified in, so she does that and I am left to do all the massage.

It's tricky - there is 2 of us working at the same time, but the other girl does a treatment I am not qualified in, so she does that and I am left to do all the massage.
Well then your employer need to look to get you trained so you can spread the work out more evenly and reduce the amount of massage treatments and make it more equal..
Jack

Well then your employer need to look to get you trained so you can spread the work out more evenly and reduce the amount of massage treatments and make it more equal..
Jack
Thank you - I will definately speak to her about it.

I love massage but there's no way I could do it all day. I would be very happy to do it amongst other things but I think I'd be in agony after doing it straight with no break.

I love massage but there's no way I could do it all day. I would be very happy to do it amongst other things but I think I'd be in agony after doing it straight with no break.
Same here. I love doing a massage but if I am made to do 8 massages a day with very little break, I am starting to hate it. It's physically very exhausting to do so many. Plus it's so hot in the treatment room,we have no air conditioning/window in the room and after a few massages I get incredibly hot and sweaty. It really is not very nice at all.

Same here. I love doing a massage but if I am made to do 8 massages a day with very little break, I am starting to hate it. It's physically very exhausting to do so many. Plus it's so hot in the treatment room,we have no air conditioning/window in the room and after a few massages I get incredibly hot and sweaty. It really is not very nice at all.

!!! woah! I totally feel for you, if i was working in an environment you describe I would want to be doing part time so I could factor in a rest (and I see myself as a hard worker)...I totally feel for what you're saying here

Well speaking from my experience and having had 2 major back surgeries within 8 months of eachother I would say that if your back hurts then you need to rethink what you are doing.

Pain is our body's way of saying that there is something wrong and damage is being done. If you do not pay attention to it then you will end up with damage that cannot heal itself.

Whether or not this is common practice it does not make it right and, in my opinion, this is far too much for you to be doing, far too much.

I would, without a doubt, be looking for another job. Speak to your employer but if the work is mainly massage in the salon then there isn't much they can do. Why is it like this? Does your employer do a lot of the cheap deals we see around these days?

I have been through hell in the last year and have lost about 6 months earnings through this. The pain I was in before my operations was totally engulfing 24 hours a day. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I was lucky, I was able to go private and have my surgeries immediately, once I saw a Consultant but I was in pain for about 4 years before it got so bad I couldn't do every day tasks and then I went to see him. If I had done this on the NHS I would have had to wait around 6 months to a year for the first surgery instead of a week and heaven knows how long they would have made me wait for the second.

Everyone should be aware of pain, it means something and when you are young and fit you tend to put it to one side and not think about later in life when your life will be totally changed because you ignored the warning signs. ;)

Totally agree with this superb advice. Aim for a long career, rather than a short one due to back/wrist issues.
Check your posture is correct at all times, and it may well be worth taking up yoga or similar to increase your core strength.

Great advice Dawn. Actually post op physio is mostly Pilates. Really great for posture and core strength and it also makes you look slimmer! Bizarre but true! :green:

at college we were told that you should give no more than 4 massages in a day?

Yes, the reason we do so many massages is to do with one of the cheap deals going on at the moment. We got so many bookings that we will be doing them at least for the next 3 months.

I totally feel for you. I used to work in a spa, have 5 mins between clients and do mostly massage in a 9 hour day. Everyday I was exhausted, everyday I was aching, everyday I woke up and dreaded going to work.

It must be hard as the other therapist does a treatment you don't but I think you should speak to your manager. I'm sure they would much rather book less massages in, or perhaps spread them out more than lose you through injury.

We have to look after ourselves, our hands and bodies are our work so speak up before it gets worse.

I hope you manage to sort it out hun.
Rhiannon x

I really feel for you!!

I have problems with my thumbs but mainly from a teeny tiny repetitive movement when doing nails which really has an impact on massage.

I no longer sell back or body massages but when an existing clients asks me about this treatment I quickly size them up and decide if I can do it without causing myself too many problems.

If I can see its going to require lots of effort to my hands I say no.

But its my salon so I can do what I want.

I don't think it is fair to have any sort of promotion going for more than a week which involves massage due to the potential problems for the therapists but even more so if it is all falling to one therapist.

There are countless other treatments that could be offered as a deal instead of massage if it is to run over a longer period.

I don't know how these young girls working in Spas manage when that is pretty much all they do every day!!

I do hope you can work it out with your manager otherwise I fear you will have to do as already suggested and start looking to move on.

Jacqui xx

Hi, I do NO HANDS massage and as you are using the soft front of your arm there is no strain on wrists, fingers, you also trained how to stand to ensure that the is no stress on your back. I am only part time but can do 3 massages one after the other and feel great after no stress or strain at all. However you really need to look after yourself as Dawn and Sheila have said above, hope you can get something sorted out.

Annie xx

Latest posts

Back