Expenses - Miles to/back from clients - How do you input the data?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_simon

Reaction score
Hi there

I am recording all the miles I do for each client there and back, on a monthly basis.

When it comes to year end and doing your accounts etc, in what form do you have to input the miles? Surely you don't put what miles you have done, surely its the cost for those miles?

Is that worked out at 50p per mile?

It is 40p per mile (2010/2011 tax year) or the 45p per mile (2011/2012 tax year).

I write down all the miles then times that by 40p or 45p depending on what tax year the figures are for.

So for example if you travel 190 miles then the allowance is 190 * 0.45 = £85.50

This allowance is the total you are allowed to claim for travel and includes, petrol, insurance, tyres, repairs etc... You do not claim for any other motoring costs on top.

HTH

Is there a website I can get info from for exactly what I can claim for? I will be doing my first tax return next year and I would like a list of what is allowed or not allowed. People always say you can claim for this and that ETC what else is the etc. I need a proper list to refer to.

Is there a website I can get info from for exactly what I can claim for? I will be doing my first tax return next year and I would like a list of what is allowed or not allowed. People always say you can claim for this and that ETC what else is the etc. I need a proper list to refer to.

HM Revenue & Customs: Tax returns for the self-employed

Give them a call as they run FREE courses to help you out.
It's a lot to take in if you have never done it before.
Even after attending all the courses I still went to an accountant to check my books were in order. Well worth the piece of mind

It is 40p per mile (2010/2011 tax year) or the 45p per mile (2011/2012 tax year).

I write down all the miles then times that by 40p or 45p depending on what tax year the figures are for.

So for example if you travel 190 miles then the allowance is 190 * 0.45 = £85.50

This allowance is the total you are allowed to claim for travel and includes, petrol, insurance, tyres, repairs etc... You do not claim for any other motoring costs on top.

HTH

Sorry this may sound dim!! Does the 45p inc your car insurance costs?

Latest posts

Back