Experienced tanners need only reply please. Tanning soap/gel/moisturiser bible wanted

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickcafc

Reaction score
Hi, this keeps cropping up on here and I, one of many I'm sure, would love a "set in stone " sheet to work from. Maybe it could be added to the " read this spray tanners" at the top of the forum. I'm far to inexperienced to know the answers. What soaps, shower gels, moisturisers and sunscreens should we advise people to use. Some on here say Dove or Simple etc., then the next post says dont ever use Dove or Simple etc., then its use Body shop butter, dont use Body shop butter and so it goe's on. It all gets a bit wishy washy and very confusing. Are there products that all you experienced tanners can agree on as it would really help us not so blessed. I live in Norway now but can get hold of most Uk products. Any non contradictory help would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys, Mick.

I personally just say nothing like a scrub or anything to heavily perfumed. X

I just say shower scrub and shave/wax the day before!
If poss do nothing to your skin on the day of the tan.
As most soaps have moisturiser in these days.
You can still wash your essential bits without a shower if need be. :)

I personally just say nothing like a scrub or anything to heavily perfumed. X

Yip, me too!
I tell them the most important thing is to moisture after showering for an even fade.

I use st tropez tan so I tend to use there tan optimising products (body polish/body moisturiser/gradual tan) as for shower gel I would advise anything oil free, I've heard not to use dove but I do because love the smell and I haven't noticed that affects my tan

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Just to add as well the st tropez products I recommend to all my clients and they love them especially the gradual tan to make there tan last longer

Hi and thanks for all the replies. Surely recommending gradual tans for after care means they dont need us so often? Or am I missing something, again....cheers guys.

IMO I haven't noticed a decrease of clients coming due to using gradual tan with their spray tan to prolong that tan a little longer, my clients come from merseyside/ Liverpool so the more tanned the better, but I can see why people might think it's a bit stupid to use gradual tan whilst having spray tans but hey it works for me 😉 x

I avoid dove like the plaque xx

This is the prep sheet I send out to my clients when they book
What to do before a spray tan?

Preparing well before a spray tan is the most important part of the spray tanning process. In fact, if you have not been told what to do before a spray tan, the chances are that your spray tanning experience will not be a happy one.

Spray tan preparation steps are:

Book your spray tan in about 48 hours before your special occasion. Timing is important, because sometimes a fresh spray tan can have a slightly orange hue which settles next day. Additionally, having a day between getting a spray tan and getting ready for a function will give you enough time to take care of any unlikely problems that might arise.
If you are going to shave or wax (recommended) before spray tanning, do it a day before, since you need the pores to close properly after hair removal. If they don’t, excess spray tan solution can lodge in those pores and that will give you a spotty look – not very attractive.
The most crucial step – exfoliate! If you skip this step or do not exfoliate well, you might not get a good tan and when it starts to fade it is likely to come off in patches. The best time to do it is also a day before your spray tan so that the skin has a chance to recover. Be very, very thorough in places where there is a buildup of dead skin like elbows, knees and ankles.
On the day of your spray tan have a shower using a soap or body wash that does not contain a lot of moisturizers. Do not apply anything to your skin like moisturizers, body butters or even deodorant or make up. Those things have a tendency to block spray tanning solution from reaching your skin and you can finish with lighter patches. Some deodorants can also react with a spray tanning solution and turn your underarms green! If you need to – carry some wet towelettes and wipe your underarms when you need to. That can also work for make up if you truly, positively have to wear some before you get to the salon.
When you will get to the salon you will need to get into a thong, put on a shower cap, apply some moisturizer to your knees, elbows and ankles and a lot of moisturizer to your nails and palms of your hands to keep them white.
If you have any more questions about what to do before a spray tan it would be a good idea to ask them at the time when you book your appointment as your spray tanning technician might have some more suggestions.

And this is my aftercare I send

After spray tan

To keep your tan in a tip top condition you have to know the steps for the after spray tan care.

Caring for your spray tan starts the minute your session finished. While the spray tan is still very fresh it is very vulnerable to getting damaged, so you have to be very gentle with it.

Wait till it is totally dry to the touch and then put on some loose, dark clothes. Loose, so that your tan does not rub off, and dark, because some bronzers are nasty and you might finish with brown smudges on your clothing.

If you can avoid wearing underwear, especially a bra, that would be really good and don’t even think about putting on tight jeans or leggings.

The first hour is the most crucial, because that is when most of the tan develops. The worst enemy of your tan is water, so if it is raining do not venture outside or you will turn spotty. If you are sweating, slow down, find a place with an air conditioner and make sure that you stay dry. Read a book, go to the movies, play on the computer; do anything that will keep you still and calm.

Your spray tanning technician will advise you how long you have to wait before you can shower. Some solutions take 2 hours to fully develop, others 12. The average is about 5-6 hours. I usually keep mine overnight and shower in the morning.

When you shower the first time, you might think that all your tan is being washed away, but it is only the bronzer. The real tan has developed in the top layer of your skin and a shower will not remove it. Avoid Dove shower gel, I find it strips your tan.

For the whole duration of your tan avoid long, hot showers or baths. Quick, cool showers are fine. Pet your skin dry as opposed to vigorous rubbing.

Your tan’s best friend is a moisturizer. Use it morning and night as the tan has to stay plastered to your skin. Dry skin flakes off easily taking the tan with it.
Don't use oil moisturiser especially baby oil, this removes tan.

The most important thing – make sure that you stay away from the sun. Just because your skin is now brown, it does not mean that it is protected from getting burned in any way. Your skin has not developed any melanin and is just as vulnerable to sunburn as if you would be lily white.

Should you have any problem areas that have tanned more than others please contact me.

If you follow those simple steps for spray tan care, you will enjoy your flawless tan for quite a few days.

Thank you all, cheers, Mick.

Latest posts

Back