Extensions and minors.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jee-nails

Reaction score
A woman I know has asked me to put nail extensions on her daughter before they go on holidays. Her daughter is only 14 years of age. I think her daughter is too young to have them even though her mother has given concent. Any advice???

It would be advisable to check where you stand with your insurance company before you comit yourself either way. You mighthave the mother to sign a disclaimer or summat??? Sorry I'm not really much help, but I would defo check your insurance before you do anything. x

I've decided for myself not to do extensions on girls under 16, and betewen 16 and 18 of course only with parental consent. But actually the only one pertering me into having her nails done is my cousin, she´s 13 at the mo. I told her no, that perhaps when she is a little bit onler i can do a soakable set for a special ocasion.

I can understand your concerns, but the flip side is this......

My view is this, if the mother is all for it then I would do it...I am not the girls parent so who am I to say what her 14 year old can do and wear or not....but I would stress the point that she will have to be totally committed to after care and maintenance programs.........I would use Fibreglass... easy to soak off.....and maybe after this she will have got the taste for nice nails and will be converted to natural nail care and fab manicures......

We pride our selfs in saying enhancements do not ruin a natural nail, they do not interfere with natural nail growth aso, so there are no concerns as far as health is concerned, its an ethical and personal moral situation.......and only you alone can decide on this.

.....I would rather do them for her to a high standard, safely in a very hygienic salon,a nice sporty length,flush with the finger tips, rather than seeing her going to a less standard salon and come away with god knows what ......

If she is adamant that her daughter wants enhancements and is in favor of this, will it stop her going to someone maybe not as carefull and skilled as you ???? NOPE
She might end up in the hands of a less skilled Technician and could end up with nail trauma....
I know everybody has got different views on this, but as I said I would do them, not because its money in the till, but because if she is adamant she will go any where to get some holiday nails, this includes the stick on DIY route..the NSS route.....the route to disaster and I am not in favor of either of those....and I rather that her nail care was safe in my hands than rather sorry in someone else's..............
I have a few long term clients that have come to me at the age of 14 and they are still with me 10+ down the line..........and they have given me less trouble than some of my older more mature ladies......they have listend to my advise, have taken care of their nails and are just the best xxxx
JMHO

You made a good point. If she really want extentions and her mother lets her have them the only she has to do is go to a place that will give her a set. If we knew no one else would give her a set it would be ok to refuse. But we all know that isn't true. So at least she should have the best she can possibly have. But i also think it is very important to explain that enhancements need caring after and maintenances and all...

14 doesnt sound so bad to me after the conversation I had with someone the other day.
I was asked for my opinion on enhancements for a 7 yr old :eek:
As if that wasnt surprising enough, I was told that the little girl was actually quite a tomboy but, really obsessed with her nails.
I dread to think what state she would have got herself into.
The lady I had the conversation with was actually quite an educated person, so it brought home to me, how I have begun to pressume a little, that because 'nails' are everywhere, that most women would at least know enough not to consider enhancements for a 7 yr old.
How wrong I was!

Hmmmm i always said that anyone under 16 was a no no , but as Ruth points out i would rather they come to me than go to a salon where they dont care and just slap them on.........i think 14 or 15 would be ok, but 7 is ridiculous..........make sure you get parents permission and make sure they fully understand maintanance...........and homecare!

Amanda

Amanda,I think 7 is ridiculous too.
Luckily, after our conversation she is going to bring her little girl for a bit of a pamper and some nail art instead. She agreed that to teach her how to look after her own nails is the best route until she is older... I just couldnt believe she had even considered extensions in the first place! :rolleyes:

I have done my daughter and her school friends nails with l&p. My daughter had hers soaked off within a few days as she is a terrible nail biter and was constantly biting at hers. Her friend said would follow the aftercare advise I gave to her but has not come back for maintenance. I did look at her nails the other day and they looked fine, but I bet she did a bit of picking off although she vowed she didn't - said they had grown out! I think as long as the girls nails are ok and their parents are happy about it then I would do any age of teenager and offer aftercare and make sure they understand.... if they don't follow it for what ever reason you cannot be held responsible in my eyes! I wouldnt offer enhancements to girls under the age of 13 for sure.

i have done fiberglass wraps (with a small amount of free edge) on my daughter she is 11 (12 in aughust) as she was a nail biter and she had them for a month, her nails are now lovely as she no longer bites them but i dont know if i would do them on another child, if i did it would only be fiberglass or silk

i was told by a client that she had seen a girl and her mother a few weeks ago and the daughter (age 7) had had extensions put on (that were awful btw) from a shop in a village right next to mine!

i thought this was shocking!!
x

I have refused to do nail enhancements on anyone under 16yrs. I have a daughter of 12 whos friend had some done but when i explained why i wouldnt do them she was fine. Shes doing a presentation at school this week all about it. Her choice she wanted to let others know. I only use childrens nail polish on under 16s unless the parent gives consent and is aware of the facts. I know there is always someone else who would do it but i want to follow best practice and keep standards.

I did one of my friends daughters who was 10...she had just gel on her nails with no tips...natural nail overlay....it was to try to stop her biting...i saw her a week later and it was all off...now i know that gel doesnt come of nails that easy so she had picked them off...i have refused to do them again for her simply because i hate to think of the damage she is doing to her little nails whilst picking it off. So for me its a no go...xxx

am with Ruthie on this one. I actually did extensions yesterday on a minor for her graduation party. I got parental consent and wrote up a special list of do's and don'ts for her. Educated her on nails (she bites) and have rebooked her for soak off and then regular manicures so she can hopefully have her own nails looking nice but had a disclaimer from mother for sure. I am in Cyprus and I have to say have seen lots of young girls out here on hols with extensions and some have been horrible (lots done at nss) so again with Ruthie on this, I am glad i done them and not someone else.

pam x

I have done a 14 year old with mothers consent and actually got her to sign a consent form!

I think if the mother ok's it then it is fine.

Girls grow up too fast these days.

I agree, that if you get a signed parental consent form then it would be ok, but going back to a previous post, I would say 7 is a little too young and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting them on such a young girl. Again its down to the individual nail tech though, but I would check insurance just in case, you never know what could happen.

Latest posts

Back