Eyebrow dying...not tinting.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pazzy

Reaction score
Just read an article in the express today. Was someone asking about having a radical new hair colour and if it was a good idea to have her brows coloured the same as her hair. The hairdresser said yes and its really fashionable to have hair and eyebrows matching (eg red hair & red brows).

He didnt say how it was done etc but surely that is a job for a beauty therapist not a hairdresser to blob some of the colour onto the brows.

Anybody know who does it and what its all about?

I would use exactly the same method as tinting. Be aware of how quickly it's taking, so check after a minute. If you want it darker/lighter re-apply. But........ KEEP CHECKING and don't forget to protect the surrounding skin so that doesn't get dyed too. xxx

Have you ever done any like this Kim? I was told at college years ago that it wasnt advisable...things have obviously changed.

Yes I have and it was fine. I also did some pubic topiary and used a red dye which also turned out fine.

Just think about what your doing but experiment. If you don't experiment, how are we all going to progress. Just remember health and safety.

For the record: I'm not a trainer so please don't take what I say as gospel. xxx

Are they talking about using the same hair dye on the brows as on the hair???If so then this is not advisable at all,could even cause blindness.

I'm talking about eyebrows ONLY and protecting the eyes with wet cotton pads, which is more than we do when we dye out hair and it's running down everywhere.

I'm talking about eyebrows ONLY and protecting the eyes with wet cotton pads, which is more than we do when we dye out hair and it's running down everywhere.

If done correctly the hair tint should stay put :green: .

As a hairdresser i would be interested to know what brand is being used for tinting facial hair,the large brands do not recomend this.

Also the vol of h2o2 will be much higher than that of a facial hair tint,that surely can't be a good thing as it's not only the "drips" but the vapours could really sting .

I still woudn't do it,it is dangerous and our insurance would not cover us in the event of someone's eyesight being damaged.If you look on any hair dye box it strongly advises against using on eyebrows as could cause blindness.

This is how I feel and I would never deviate from it.It's not worth the hassle.Each to their own though.This is just my opinion.

I still woudn't do it,it is dangerous and our insurance would not cover us in the event of someone's eyesight being damaged.If you look on any hair dye box it strongly advises against using on eyebrows as could cause blindness.

This is how I feel and I would never deviate from it.It's not worth the hassle.Each to their own though.This is just my opinion.
Fairy nuff. x

i wouldnt either, i was a hairdresser and even i wouldnt try it :eek:

If done correctly the hair tint should stay put :green: .

As a hairdresser i would be interested to know what brand is being used for tinting facial hair,the large brands do not recomend this.

Also the vol of h2o2 will be much higher than that of a facial hair tint,that surely can't be a good thing as it's not only the "drips" but the vapours could really sting .
I agree Becki,when I have ever coloured my hair even the vapours sting.I have got ultra sensitive eyes though.

As you said the eyelash/brow tint is much weaker than hair dye.I did read on here the other day that they have now brought out a eyebrow bleach.Wonder how strong that is.

Well Im not totally against this but it sounds like a really good idea, but obviously a little risky. But perhaps there is a market for a suitable eyebrow colour other than the tints we have already available.

You could try this

Buy Refectocil Eyelash Tint from Beauty Express

Click on the colour box, there are a few colours including red & blue. These are eyelash tints so i would imagine that these are perfectly safe to use on eyebrows. :)

Ah...I didnt know there was red, chestnut tints. The only problem with brown tints is, well, it just goes black. I always always use grey or graphite on the brows as that is the best colour. Blue also just goes navy on lashes and have only used blue/black on the brows occasionally.

Anyone used the refectocil red colour?

I'm with Kim here, no industry would ever progress if someone didn't step outside the box and try something new.

As for the volume (strength) of peroxide, you can change this when mixing a tint up. To achieve a really vibrant result I have, in the past, bleached the brows first then applied the tint after.

As for your pubic topiary Kim, how light was the hair? I have dyed mine pink a few times and always had to sit there for ages first, lightening it to a shade that will actually take the pink!

Companies will always put "unsuitable for this, that and the other" on their products to cover themselves in this age of lawsuits. It's up to the user to use their common sense, i.e - it wouldn't be common sense to mix it up in a White Russian and serve it to all your guests at the xmas party, but it would probably be ok to apply it to the brows as long as the eyes are well protected :green:

As for your pubic topiary Kim, how light was the hair? I have dyed mine pink a few times and always had to sit there for ages first, lightening it to a shade that will actually take the pink!
The hair was mid brown. It turned bright red in a short time. xxx

I'm with Kim here, no industry would ever progress if someone didn't step outside the box and try something new.

As for the volume (strength) of peroxide, you can change this when mixing a tint up. To achieve a really vibrant result I have, in the past, bleached the brows first then applied the tint after.

Companies will always put "unsuitable for this, that and the other" on their products to cover themselves in this age of lawsuits. It's up to the user to use their common sense, i.e - it wouldn't be common sense to mix it up in a White Russian and serve it to all your guests at the xmas party, but it would probably be ok to apply it to the brows as long as the eyes are well protected :green:
I hear what you are saying but if someone loses there sight because we have used a hair dye on their brows and wanted to "step out of our box",then who is going to pay the compensation? It wont be your or my insurance I know that much.

It's not that I dont want to try different techniques,products etc,I am just not prepared to take the risk with my clients health or eyesight.If it were specifically for the eyes then fair enough.

I think companies put, "not suitable for this",or "that",because they are edging on the cause for concern,not because they are being awkward.Obviously they feel there may be a risk that someones sight could be endangered so best not to use hairdye on the eye area.

If someones eyesight can be lost with an eyelash/brow tint (products that are specifically for this area)as it was a couple of years ago,when a therapist didn't do a tint test,then God knows what damage could be done to the eyesight with a product that is not for this area.

Each to their own,if you're happy in doing what you're doing fair enough I just hope you have got the bank balance to match the cost of any compensation that may be needed in the horrible event of things going wrong.Hope they dont though.xx

So just to recap, it is possible to dye the eyebrow red but it will involve stripping the natural hair colour with bleach then using a refectocil red tint....is that right?

And this could actually become a new service.

I hear what you are saying but if someone loses there sight because we have used a hair dye on their brows and wanted to "step out of our box",then who is going to pay the compensation? It wont be your or my insurance I know that much.

It's not that I dont want to try different techniques,products etc,I am just not prepared to take the risk with my clients health or eyesight.If it were specifically for the eyes then fair enough.

I think companies put, "not suitable for this",or "that",because they are edging on the cause for concern,not because they are being awkward.Obviously they feel there may be a risk that someones sight could be endangered so best not to use hairdye on the eye area.

If someones eyesight can be lost with an eyelash/brow tint (products that are specifically for this area)as it was a couple of years ago,when a therapist didn't do a tint test,then God knows what damage could be done to the eyesight with a product that is not for this area.

Each to their own,if you're happy in doing what you're doing fair enough I just hope you have got the bank balance to match the cost of any compensation that may be needed in the horrible event of things going wrong.Hope they dont though.xx
I have thought about training in these services, but I'm not comfortable with it, worried about messing with people's eyes so I never bothered.....what is worrying is the number of salons who offer lash and brow treatments without a patch test.....all of them round by me.

I have thought about training in these services, but I'm not comfortable with it, worried about messing with people's eyes so I never bothered.....what is worrying is the number of salons who offer lash and brow treatments without a patch test.....all of them round by me.
I wouldn't mind experimenting with different colours or bleaching but....with the right products for the right job.At the moment we dont get a call for it,I guess if you lived in a city or something though you could get a demand for all these vibrant colours to match clients hair,but no,we dont get the call for it.If we did,I would find out about what products were available.

I agree with you about the amount of salons that dont patch test.I dont understand why they think it's ok to just go ahead and do a lash/brow tint without one.If I get a new client who wants a lash/brow tint then I ask them to come in for a test,I tell them it takes seconds,and explain why it's important.

I know it's a pain for them,but I think it would be a hell of a lot more of a pain if they were to be blinded through a reaction from a tint.

I will never forget seeing that poor client on the front page of the newspaper who lost her eyesight through a lash tint,sends shivers down my spine,for me no patch test,then no tint,end of.

Latest posts

Back