Eyebrow dying...not tinting.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh Babs, you tell me girl....I love it when you're stern :wink2:

I would never dream of doing eyelashes with this technique, only brows....lashes are too close for comfort and probably wouldn't take properly anyway.

If you think about head hair colouring and the way tint and scalp bleach are only a centimetre or two away from the brow then, you realise that there is an equal chance of reaction from the skin with hair colourant on scalp or brow.

I know you're not going to agree with me though Miss Babs, so I shan't try and cajole you any more :green:

Pazzy....stripping the brows first is a way of achieving very vibrant colour, but I would try it with just tint to begin with. And make sure you understand the colour wheel and practise a bit first!

Hi Amy x

Imo using a product wich as not been specifically designed to be used on such a sensitive area on paying clients is irrisponsiblie.

Not only do you potentialy risk damaging something as important as someones sight,you would also invalidate your insurance and therfore be liable for any law suits.

I agree more peeps need to think out side the box,but Amy with your knowlege and skill,you could with the right team,develop such vibrant colours specifically for the eye area's.

Even with a patch test prior to application there is risk,i would not carry out ANY service unless i had been properly trained to do so and had valid insurance,that would be unprofessional imo.

Heck,it's like me buying an efile and using it on my clients,i could cause permanant damage and i have not been trained to do so,therefore my professional judgement would stop me !

Those who know me willl take this post in the manner it is intended,on a purely professional level.

Take care guy's n doll's :Love:

LOL Amy,a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.xx:D

Im sure if there was a specially produced eyebrow colouring then it would be ok...I mean who thought PERMING eyelashes would be ok? that would have been quite risky at first.

Thanks Amy, I dont know if anyone up here would even dream of having their eyebrows coloured but it would be interesting to learn a bit more about this.

So has anyone tried the red lash brow tints? Im just wondering how they turn out.

Aw becki, you're so sensible too! :green:

I have never had a paying client in the salon want anything so radical. I have only ever had to dye brows on makeup jobs when something unique was required and normal makeup wasn't going to be enough to cover the brow hair. Believe me there was much, much practise beforehand....can you imagine if you dyed a model's brows a delicious brassy orange....I don't think you'd get out alive! And of course there were patch tests, but these girls had their hair coloured regularly anyway, so I was pretty sure none of them were going to react. I might go and see if I can dig out some pics, not to post on here, but to email you with Pazzy, so you have an idea of achievable colour.

From an insurance point of view, I can see where you're all coming from. But from a logical point of view, it is possible to safely do it, in my opinion.

Aw becki, you're so sensible too! :green:

I have never had a paying client in the salon want anything so radical. I have only ever had to dye brows on makeup jobs when something unique was required and normal makeup wasn't going to be enough to cover the brow hair. Believe me there was much, much practise beforehand....can you imagine if you dyed a model's brows a delicious brassy orange....I don't think you'd get out alive! And of course there were patch tests, but these girls had their hair coloured regularly anyway, so I was pretty sure none of them were going to react. I might go and see if I can dig out some pics, not to post on here, but to email you with Pazzy, so you have an idea of achievable colour.

From an insurance point of view, I can see where you're all coming from. But from a logical point of view, it is possible to safely do it, in my opinion.

That would be great, I would love to have a look. !!

Im sure if there was a specially produced eyebrow colouring then it would be ok...I mean who thought PERMING eyelashes would be ok? that would have been quite risky at first.

Thanks Amy, I dont know if anyone up here would even dream of having their eyebrows coloured but it would be interesting to learn a bit more about this.

So has anyone tried the red lash brow tints? Im just wondering how they turn out.
Yes am sure it would but the point I was making was about using hair dye for the area not a specific eye tint.Obviously if it were an eyebrow/lash tint then there wouldn't be any problems what so ever,as long as a tint test was carried out prior to treatment.

I have always thought it would be lovely to have some different coloured lash tints other than the bog standard colours.

Yes am sure it would but the point I was making was about using hair dye for the area not a specific eye tint.Obviously if it were an eyebrow/lash tint then there wouldn't be any problems what so ever,as long as a tint test was carried out prior to treatment.

I have always thought it would be lovely to have some different coloured lash tints other than the bog standard colours.

Here, here!!

I have often thought how lovely it would be to have burgundy, purple or green lashes, even a rainbow of colours (that would be interesting). But the eyes are always a dodgy area - full stop. Im sure things will change and someone could be formulating a suitable eyelash dye/ colours as we speak.

I used to have customers who grabbed the tint bowl and did their own before i got a chance to clear it away!!

Can someone please clarify what the difference is between Dyeing and Tinting?? In my world there isn't any.
But as My Beauty school instructor always said..you dye clothes..you tint hair

I used to be a tinted blonde Wella 12 /11 and 12% as my hair was med brown but contained a lot of orange pigments,
I decided I would try a little bit of hair tint on ( my brows only )it was ok and I was very careful but when the tone eventually washed out of the tint I was left with orange brows

I would also put hair tint on my own eyebrows with hair tint again if I wanted ,

(but not on a customer ) Id have to use recommended ones for that

Although I could be tempted to bleach (the brows only) very blonde.
(as you would not be using para toluenes which are in the hair tints.)
you could then have one green brow and one pink brow

I think it is a really cool idea as long as we keep safety in mind:green:
why not ?

Can I just ask what strength peroxide is used in hair colour?

Can someone please clarify what the difference is between Dyeing and Tinting?? In my world there isn't any.
But as My Beauty school instructor always said..you dye clothes..you tint hair

I'm not too sure but
I always thought that dying things hair or clothes was to add colour to it
bleaching is to take colour away ,
tinting in my opinion is adding colour and sometimes a bit of lift
perhaps its because we cannot say "Oh I have a high lift dye in today" LOL

I suppose the tint word covers the two step tint procedure of adding colour and/ or lifting colour too , maybe:rolleyes:

Can I just ask what strength peroxide is used in hair colour?

Usually 6% and 9% for standard tinting.
but it can be lower for semis/demis and higher for high lift tints :hug:

Usually 6% and 9% for standard tinting.
but it can be lower for semis/demis and higher for high lift tints :hug:

Thanks Minky

The maximum recommended strength peroxide to be used around the eye is 3%, so the ones that clients are using alot of the time when they use hair colours is at least double the recommended maximum strength.

This is just way too much risk in my opinion!

Thanks Minky

The maximum recommended strength peroxide to be used around the eye is 3%, so the ones that clients are using alot of the time when they use hair colours is at least double the recommended maximum strength.

This is just way too much risk in my opinion!

I thought they were talking mainly about putting tint on eye brows weren't they ?:confused:

Hi I think some of us here may be getting a little confused including me
I think the conversation was about tinting the eyebrows :rolleyes:
and somehow eyelashes have now been added,

Is there anyone who has said they would put hair tint on the eye lashes?
I was just wondering in case I have missed it? :hug:

Also the proper dye that is used for tinting eyelashes and eyebrows is far stronger in the amount of para (dark pigments) it contains,
it has to be strong so you can get good results in ten minutes flat,
This dark pigment is what causes the most severe reactions .
I have also seen an allergic reaction to the proper professional eye lash tint (a hairdresser who did it on herself )
It was horrific.

and yet she is ok with proper professional hair tint on her head.

The darker the pigment in the dye or tint the more chance of an allergic reaction, and as most eyelash dye is darkish in colour I would be inclined to do a skin test at every single visit as your body can suddenly say no Ive had enough of that and could react violently.

Hi I think some of us here may be getting a little confused including me
I think the conversation was about tinting the eyebrows :rolleyes:
and somehow eyelashes have now been added,

Is there anyone who has said they would put hair tint on the eye lashes?
I was just wondering in case I have missed it? :hug:

No hun I am still talking about eyebrows (dont think I mentioned lashes - apologies if I did). I think that the eyebrows are too near some delecate skin so wouldnt want to use the strength proxide that is used in hair colours.

Personally, when I have seen cleints that have used hair colour on their brows I just thing that they dont look right, but that is my preference that the eyebrow colour should look natural and you are also entitled to your opinion too. :hug:

It would be great to offer services of eyebrow bleaching and vibrant colouring afterwards
as the vibrant colours are semis and have no harmful ingredients .

The bleach could be a nice thick paste so it doesn't run and doesn't lay on the skin .
the client would be well protected and have little dampened eye pads on.
The bleach would only go on the brow area and not at all on the orbit area below it
But I might wait until they are brought out professionally like the eyelash perms,
and someone tells me it is safe to use if you follow the instructions ( which basically means don't drop it in your eye ) x minky

safety first.

I wouldnt do something on a lcient that i wasnt insured / trained to do.

I am qualified in hairdressing, but id assume thats for heads only!!

Im all for experimenting, but id rather do it on myself or someone i know wont try to sue me!! lol.

Latest posts

Back