Eyebrow problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen Smith

theHOTWAXroom
Reaction score
I have a client who comes in for her brows waxing every two weeks. She has really outgrown by this time. The problem is that she has a really thin arch but her hair grows in a downwardly fashion in the centre of the arch. About 4 appointments ago I made an error and took too much off and it left a bald patch of about 3 - 4 mm in width in the centre (see pic) I of course explained and said we really needed to grow some of the thinness out and suggested she used a soft brow pencil until our next appointment and to bring it along with her and I would shade in what I wanted to keep and take away hairs outside of this line. The downward hairs now I trim with scissors on the opposite eyebrow... but the hairs on the eyebrow in question have not grown back in the centre and after 2 months has still a gap.... I almost freaked tonight when I saw it.

eyebrow.jpg (Please click on pic to enlarge image which is not ideal as done in paint with a wobbly hand sigh! )

Can anyone help with a rectification process with this clients brows please? The hairs are poker straight too... and don't lie flat... a darn nightmare actually... but this client is so patient and trusts me to keep them the way she likes it (usually without a bald patch!!)

Help please !!! :eek::eek:

There are some products on the market that are meant to make brows grow back - can't remember offhand what they're called but I'm sure you could find them by googling.

Other than that - and I promise you I'm not being facetious - PMU.

Your lady could try castor oil or Talika which if she's lucky, will help them grow back.

I wouldn't use a pencil......use a slanted brish and a brow or eye shadow in a shade the same as her own brows.

The brows groing down are either just they way they grow, or they have been pulled out downwards. You could try taking one of those brows out at each visit and pulling it out the way that you want it to grow back.

I would get her to leave longer than 2 weeks Jen, just to see if you have more to work with the next time.

Can you take a photo of them for us to see so we can advise more? xx

Hi what a nightmare. I would advise her to regularly massage the area to get nutrients to the bald site. Off the top of my head there are topical products like Minoxidil (Regaine) but I do not know if you can apply it in this area! It is more successful in women than men and can take a year to work. She would need to speak to the Pharmacist before buying this to see if it is suitable for her - may be worth a shot. Hope it works out.:hug:

Your lady could try castor oil or Talika which if she's lucky, will help them grow back.

I wouldn't use a pencil......use a slanted brish and a brow or eye shadow in a shade the same as her own brows.

The brows groing down are either just they way they grow, or they have been pulled out downwards. You could try taking one of those brows out at each visit and pulling it out the way that you want it to grow back.

I would get her to leave longer than 2 weeks Jen, just to see if you have more to work with the next time.

I will ask her if she will allow me to photograph them the next time she is in my salon. I can imagine that you could be right with the direction of hair tweezed out could have distorted the follicle... they were like this when she first came to me and have always been a bit of a nightmare to do.. but then with this error I made.. I have made the service much bloody worse. sigh! :eek:

Thanks any way for your advice you two :hug:

BTW Zoe .. I am not sure what PMU stands for?

She might benefit from a product such as this, which will stroke them into shape and keep them there, hopefully for the day

SUPERCOVER Professional Make-up

If she uses something like this everyday, it may well encourage the hairs to grow in the direction they are being set.

I know you don't like electrolysis much but for someone who needs a brow wax every 2 weeks, it might be worth her considering.

PMU - sorry - Permanent Make up

x

LOL.....I was going to say Jen, PMU is Permanent Make Up......That's what I did on your brows. xxx

PMU - Permanent Make Up! Duh!! of course lol!!! I must have been having a blonde moment! :hug:

Jen - is this client really having her re-growth coming through every 2 weeks!?

Perhaps if there was longer left in between each appt then you may see more of an improvement.

Don't want to hijack your thread Jen, but all this info is really interesting, so may I ask a question please?

Does tweezing in a different direction encourage the hair to grow in that direction and how? Thanks.

A fascinating thread and thanks for posting Jen because so many peeps can learn from this.

Don't want to hijack your thread Jen, but all this info is really interesting, so may I ask a question please?

Does tweezing in a different direction encourage the hair to grow in that direction and how? Thanks.

A fascinating thread and thanks for posting Jen because so many peeps can learn from this.

Tweezing can distort hair follicles. (This is also a bugbear of mine when clients use an epilator - not on their brows LOL - but the hair can start growing in all different directions after epilating, which can make a simple half leg wax hard work!)

So I would imagine it is a good idea to tweeze the hair in the direction of the hair growth and indeed the direction you want the hair to grow in the future. (Clients themselves might just randomly pluck.) However, the lady in question, having brow hairs that stick out rather than lie flat, I would have thought is more likely to be genetic. Also, and of course without knowing if this is the case or not, the body of her eyebrow may never have been tweezed, so there would be no reason for the follicles to have become distorted.

Hope that helps.

Tweezing can distort hair follicles. (This is also a bugbear of mine when clients use an epilator - not on their brows LOL - but the hair can start growing in all different directions after epilating, which can make a simple half leg wax hard work!)

So I would imagine it is a good idea to tweeze the hair in the direction of the hair growth and indeed the direction you want the hair to grow in the future. (Clients themselves might just randomly pluck.) However, the lady in question, having brow hairs that stick out rather than lie flat, I would have thought is more likely to be genetic. Also, and of course without knowing if this is the case or not, the body of her eyebrow may never have been tweezed, so there would be no reason for the follicles to have become distorted.

Hope that helps.
Many thanks for explaining. Now this they didn't teach us at college. The real learning starts when you go out into industry.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Zoe... as it happens this lady has been 'plucking' her own brows for years and overly so, so it could be quite feasible for her to have 'plucked' them in the wrong direction and maybe distorted some of them. I do think that she has a degree of genetic tendency too as her mum has the same type of pattern on the lower arch too. I think she started coming to me when she could no longer get a nice tidy arch, bless her, she has been a challenging client from day one .... I just hope I can rectify 'my' mistake which I am feeling very anxious about at the moment. :hug:

Jen - is this client really having her re-growth coming through every 2 weeks!?

Perhaps if there was longer left in between each appt then you may see more of an improvement.

Hi Teresa ... the little drawing I did in my original post (although not very accurate to the arch and thinness of this clients brows) ... the hair growth I have drawn is very accurate ... they are about 2-3 mm in length and her brows are very dark brown, almost black and look very messy. She has said there is no way she can go to three weeks as I have already put this to her.. she was adamant. :eek:

Yes it can do and it's worth a try. When I do this, I pull the hair out really flat to the skin, in the direction that I want to it grow back.

HI! TOTALLY OFF THE WAX SUBJECT, CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE ARE ANY THREADING COURSES AROUND IN KENT? I LIVE IN CHATHA.
THANKYOU!

:hug:

That was a great sketch. Brows grow in the direction they do just because they do. Latino and Asian (Oriental) brows have a tendency to grow down. It has never been my theory that tweezing or waxing changes the direction of the root simply based on the fact that we have never done a skin plug and dissection to see. I worked next to a really experiences electrologist for quite a few years and she always maintained that her job done on someone that had wax a long time was really easy. Still here some electrologists are taught that waxing distorts the root.

You really have to brush the brows in the direction they grow, and wax, trim or tweeze (whatever your method is) them within this shape.

Latest posts

Back