Eyebrow wax went wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyLoungeSW

Reaction score
Hi

One of my girls had an eyebrow wax in yesterday morning (I was away for the day) and I received an email off the client late last night to let me know that her eyebrows look like the skin has been taken off underneath and that they look like burns.
We always make sure our wax pot is at the same temp for each client and we had around 6 or 7 eyebrow waxes in the same day and havent had anyone else complain. We are known as the best for eyebrow waxing etc in our town and im gutted as this client is a regular and shes such a lovely girl.
I have emailed her back to say that I will be conducting a full investigation on Monday when I am back in the salon as I will be able to speak to the therapist who performed the treatment. I also asked her if she noticed anything unusual about the treatment to which she said no but that it hurt more than usual when the wax was taken off.
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice about this situation as I dont want her to feel that im passing the buck or trying to blame it on her.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's not unheard of for some redness to occur after facial waxing. The therapist may have done everything by the book for what it's worth.

My daughter suffers with this issue when she gets her eyebrows waxed....and I do them! I also do a lot of eyebrow waxing and this only happens to her. I now put a little talc over the eyebrow where the wax will sit and it hasn't happened since. I don't know why this happens I'm sure someone will tell us..

Maybe the therapist did do it right but maybe in the consultation she may have found the client had a change of medication or something? It may have affected the outcome as the skin may be more sensitive? Just a thought anyway.

Remember and get the client to come in and show you, you will have to tell your insurance company too.

There have been quite a few threads on here about this. I do my own and it happens if I do them too soon after a shower. When it happened to one if my regulars, she had come straight fromthe shower. I now can't wax at all as I'm on high levels of vitamin A so her skin care may be worth checking. It seems it can also happen if there is moisture left on the skin. Sometimes it's just bad luck. Whenever I get a client saying that at her last salon they burnt her I'm always careful not to judge. There but for the grace of God.....

Vicki x

Maybe she didn't pull the skin tight enough? Or didn't keep the strip parallel as she removed? I've done this to myself waxing in a hurry before now, looks like a burn too x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

This happened to me this week with a new clients first wax on her lip I feel dread full but been waxing all week and can't for the life of me think of anything I done differently

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I think you may need to ask the client a few questions if these weren't covered in the consultation. I've worked in a few salons that don't do any form of consultation prior to treatment, especially if it's just a 'quick' eyebrow wax or lip wax ect. I always ask clients each time they come in if they have changed medication, been on a sunbed/ steam room or sauna, used any strong exfoliators or any anti aging moisturisers/eye creams around the area all within the last 24 hours. If they say yes I will ask them to return in 24 hours as I don't want them to have this reaction, or I will as someone said ( sorry can't remember who it was) use some talc or mineral powder base as a barrier on the area I will wax. I also repeat after care to every client wether there a regular or not after each treatment. It's difficult because a lot of clients will lie about what they've done prior/after treatment if they do get a graze but it is usually something they have done. I would just try and keep in contact with her, show your supporting her and maybe use a barrier the next time you wax her. Xx

this also happens to me - particularly on one eye. I just put sudacream on them and they calm down after the night. Not sure why it happens - it doesn't feel too hot when they put it on. It just seem to be an after affect.

It happened to a client of mine once.
She is a really skinny girl and had lost more weight at the time due to illness. One eye went a bit scabby after brow waxing. I came to the conclusion that she had extra loose skin ( because of weight loss) and probably I hadn't held the skin taut enough.

Mmm...a hard one. If your therapist have done something different or not, it's how you deal with it that will remain in your clients mind.
I agree with the guys, ask her if there's been any changes in her skin or medication. And especially if she is a lovely regular, you want to keep her coming, I'd offer a refund and a complimentary waxing. Saying that, we've had a walk in client for an eyebrow wax, she tried to haggle on the price and we said we don't do discounts for an eyebrow shape. She had it done by the salon manager who has years experience under her belt, she told her it looks a bit red on one side. A day later she came in to say we've burnt her, it was red and did look burnt. We carried out the full consultation prior to the treatment.
Anyway, cut a long story short, she used us and got £750 off my insurance. She was a typical bargain hunter though and sure the refund and offer of voucher didn't mean anything to her.
Good luck x

Meant to say She sued us, not used us 😄😄

£750 for such a small thing! Jeeez!

I had a very similar thing ( red skin ) after a wax a few months back on one of my regulars

Same wax, same temp of wax and I always check the wax temp before applying on client.

She came up very red straight away, so I checked the temp and it was fine.

But next day she was sore and scabby, so we stopped waxing from then on.

However last week she wanted just the middle waxed but advised against it, however we did a tiny patch text in a few places and it's been fine.

She suffers from allegories and gets quite poorly, so in a nut shell after a good discussion she had not been well back then etc so we think it was to do her body/skin at the time hence the reaction!

She suffers from allegories and gets quite poorly, so in a nut shell after a good discussion she had not been well back then etc so we think it was to do her body/skin at the time hence the reaction!

Yes I think you may be right this may of had an affect. My daughter has coeliac and suffers with a very low immunity I wondered is this was the case with her eyebrow waxing problem.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would be inclined to suggest the temperature drop was a factor. In winter months i put my wax temperature down, and ensure a nice toasty room for the waxing. I would also use a gentler wax on clients that are prone to allergies/ burns- such as aloe vera- much more sensitive.

Sometimes its just one of those things! good luck xoxo

Thanks for all your advice, i just honestly think it was just one of those things tbh. Ive spoken to my therapist today and she explained exactly the procedure to me and it was all as normal. It was 9am in the morning so it was either just getting out of the shower or going from cold to hot quickly.

Have a good xmas all xxxxxx

It happened to me once with a client but she never told me she was taking Roacatane (May be spelt wrong, sorry)!!
It burned her skin & her mum came into the salon & I spoke to them both, they were very unwilling to tell me about the medication for some reason but I eventually got to the end of it & stopped all waxing until she had finished we medication. She is now off her medication & she is fine when I wax!!

I'd ask the therapist if all was ok? And get client to send a photo or come in & ask her experience of it all too!! Xx

Wax too cool? Client taking meds that thin the skin or been having facials with peels? Did she go on a sun bed after? Was the skin supported as the wax was pulled off? Or it could just be bad luck.

Don't make too much of it or she'll be going to a no win no fee solicitor. Ask her to send photo's from her phone today.

Horrible thing to happen for you and her. I'm sure you wouldn't do this but I always suggest not being defensive and making your client feel valued.

I would not wax her brows again in case her skin is too thin and it happens again but I would offer her a pampering treatment as an apology.

Wax too cool? Client taking meds that thin the skin or been having facials with peels? Did she go on a sun bed after? Was the skin supported as the wax was pulled off? Or it could just be bad luck.

Don't make too much of it or she'll be going to a no win no fee solicitor. Ask her to send photo's from her phone today.

Horrible thing to happen for you and her. I'm sure you wouldn't do this but I always suggest not being defensive and making your client feel valued.

I would not wax her brows again in case her skin is too thin and it happens again but I would offer her a pampering treatment as an apology.

Thanks Kim, I honestly think it was just one of those things. She sent me pictures and they dont look too great :S Ive advised aloe vera gel and cold compresses to help. I emailed her to let her know ive investigated it with the therapist who explained that everything was fine and that it could have just been adverse reaction to the waxing. I let her know that in no way was i trying to say that it was anything she did but that it was an unfortunate incident. I have offered her a refund for the wax, and a complimentary shellac (as she comes every two weeks for it). I havent heard anything as of yet from her Im just hoping i did enough for her to see that I was very apologetic and tried to do the best i could to find out what went wrong.

Thanks everyone, and have a lovely xmas xxx

Latest posts

Back