Eyelash extension adhesive for sensitive eyes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherp

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've got a client who has been having lash extensions with me for about 3 months now.

When she first came to me, she had been to a couple of other places before but said she loved mine :) so became a regular client having lots of other treatments as well.

I did a patch test, all fine so she said, carried out the first treatment and several subsequent infills... all fine when she left. One day she said her eyes had swelled when she had tinted them herself and said they always do that and it goes down after a couple of days.

Well she came to me last week and her eyes were a little swollen and she said it was because she had tinted them and begged me to still do the infills as she was desperate for them but she also said her eyes always swell for a couple of days after her infills.

She came to me on last Tuesday for a different treatment and reluctantly told me she was nearly hospitalised on Saturday night as her eyes were so swollen and swore that she knew it was because of the tint and not the eyelashes and has begged me to carry on doing the infills for her.

I told her I was really concerned and would try to find another adhesive that may be ok for her. I also did a patch test for tinting right back at the beginning which came back fine.

I personnally don't understand why she would want to even put herself through this for extensions but promised her I would ask for some advice so anything would be appreciated.

Iv had a couple of ladies who after a long period of wear they appeared to develop an allergy to something used.

Im guessing the glue, im looking for a glue for sensitive eyes or some kind of hypoallergenic if at all possible xx

It may be that she is irritated from the service, it may not be an allergy at all. Make sure you take plenty of precautions, make sure the eyes are all the way closed, lashes aren't touching the skin... I don't think I would let her tint her own lashes, you can't do that and keep your eyes shut!

I would not do her eyelashes until condition clears as that could only make it worse - and it looks like this is what happened to her... If she has swollen eyes for couple of days and you check and see that there are no lashes touching the skin - then they should be removed all together... It doesn't matter what she thinks is causing it - as it may not be tint at all... I also had a client on whom I did a patch test and then in couple of days we did a full set as patch test did not show anything at all. And after that she still went on to have a reaction.. I told her to come back straight away and take them off, although she would ask me to wait few days and see if it gets better - I did not take any of it...
Another advice would be to make sure you disinfect your tools properly before use as some clients can have terrible allergy/reaction to other people's lash mites - which also shows as swollen/infected eyelids...

I totally agree with Priory! Red, infected or swollen eyes are THE main contraindication and a situation in which no treatment should be undertaken. If the eyes are sensitive anyway then any treatment could just make matters worse and develop into an allergy or chronic situation which you want to avoid under any circumstances.
I would recommend to remove her extensions and let the eyes settle and calm down before attempting anything else and when you start again use an odour and fume free adhesive and do a patch test before, just to be on the safe side.
I am sure that your client will understand and should actually appreciate your concern and help :hug:

Latest posts

Back