Facial toners - essential or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanilla Pod

Reaction score
A thread I wanted to start as I know certain companies say facial toners are not necessary.

What are everyones thoughts?

It depends on what the toner does.
Are you talking hydrating spritz toners or alcohol based that you wipe over the skin with?

Thoughts on any Matthew, but I use alcohol free xx

I use Environ and really rate their toner. Great product but quite often don't use it lol!

A toner is essential in a good skincare routine as it rebalances the skins pH after water or cleanser used on it xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

It depends upon the protocols laid down by the skincare house in question.

I always find it funny when some toners claim to remove the last traces of make up and grime - surely if the cleanser is effective then there wont be any residue remaining on the skin.

Alcohol based astringent toners - much debate on alcohol use, some people swear by them. But surely rubbing barrier removing alcohol over the skin isnt going to do you any favours as will be taking away the protective layer and will absorb any water content as that's what alcohol does.

Toners that are wiped over the skin seem to be the norm that joe public expects when you say 'toner'

Hydrating spritz toners - Many are based with hydrosols (essential oil by product) and moisten the skin with humectants. You often find moisturiser spreads further and more easily into the skin.
Can be very refreshing and often used throughout the day to hydrate the skin

Some clients find the thought of spritzing the skin strange but I find it great.

I guess its what you are wanting to achieve, is it for yourself of for clients?

As Lynne said above it goes on protocols of what skin care system you use and I would strongly recommend that you do follow protocol of that system even of you don't personally feel its required

I would also add that a lot of high street toners are about as effective as water, maybe with something smelly added, or alcohol. It can be quite an eye opener to ask a skin house what the toner is for. The replies can vary greatly!

i love the Avene gentle toner .. so cooling on my skin :)

A thread I wanted to start as I know certain companies say facial toners are not necessary.

Toners are essential to me because they refresh, rehydrate and restore the skins natural pH balance after exposure to an alkaline (cleanser) and water. Toners don't 'close the pores' but do being about a tightening feeling on the skin. They don't strip the skin as many don't contain as much alcohol as they once did

I would never be without one! I love Elemis Lavender toner or Dermalogicas Multi Active toner xoxo

It depends on the regime of that particular skin care brand. Some 'toners' have a more acidic pH in order to allow better penetration for the following prescribed product, some are designed to bring the skin closer to its normal pH after cleansing and some are skin fresheners to hydrate and refresh. It is essential to know about products and their benefits. Often clients leave out buying them as they believe they are unnecessary. Informative product training is a must. Good post.

It's very much down to skin type as performance agents in toners vary.

Many women assume they need toner. They believe, it removes the extra make up and oils on skin. I also agree with them. Facial toner plays an important role to get healthy and clean facial appearance. It balances PH and level of your skin. Facial toners work to remove environmental toxins such as smoke and other chemical residues from your skin. It also gives brighter and healthier look to your skin.

Latest posts

Back